Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
rareposter

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Post by rareposter »

And nothing - that was presumably why the woman decided to get a taxi. Sorry, just setting the scene.

Day 5 is the one that catches a lot of people out. Day 1 and 2 are tough, through Cornwall and Devon and the Mendips but 3 and 4 are relatively easy up through the flattish roads along the Welsh/English border. Day 5 starts off OIK and then sudfdenly, after 2.5 days of flat, you hit Shap. Suddenly wakes the legs up a bit!

Nice climb though, pretty steady and some good views.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

rareposter wrote:And nothing - that was presumably why the woman decided to get a taxi. Sorry, just setting the scene.

Day 5 is the one that catches a lot of people out. Day 1 and 2 are tough, through Cornwall and Devon and the Mendips but 3 and 4 are relatively easy up through the flattish roads along the Welsh/English border. Day 5 starts off OIK and then sudfdenly, after 2.5 days of flat, you hit Shap. Suddenly wakes the legs up a bit!

Nice climb though, pretty steady and some good views.

"Day 5" ............?
That's often my open gambit especially to cyclists on JOGLE. As I catch up to them and you usually see lots of shuffling on the saddle :D I pull alongside and say Day5?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Shap is about 9 miles climbing (Just north of Kendal to the summit) with an average 3% but goes a bit steeper near the top.
It is one of the highlights of E2E :wink:
http://s3.veloviewer.com/3d/s4030140.png

Confucius' he say - It's only a hill, get over it. :mrgreen:
Select low gear and sit in.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
hughwill69

Post by hughwill69 »

I'm glad that I've prompted a Wimple Jog movement. As some have said its moved away from the original a bit. In the first post I was wondering how many would go for a supported ride with minimal hills, moderate mileages and maximum comfort (here I mean Travelodges and the like- not the Ritz) along the way.

A few new points have struck me: We MTMAMILS (more than middle aged men in lycra) often have a few bob to spare. Look at some of the bikes- no shortage of impressive carbon with Ultegra or better groupsets. So I guess that there might be a fair number that would pay more than usual for the right deal.

Incidentally, I would never want to ride a journey without knowing exactly where I was, but then I'm a glutton for looking for the best routes and using Bikehike etc. And I would not want to ride too far along busy A roads- but for me if they're wide and mainly straight they can be less unpleasant than long detours on unnecessarily undulating poorly-surfaced side roads (sadly this is what I've found many Cycle Routes to be like). Narrow, bendy and busy roads are what I really don't like, whether A B or unclassified.

I'm thinking of doing a 6 day starter run from LE to near Bishops Castle. A draft route can (I hope) be see from the link below. Any comments on how sufficient the wimp factor is?

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/fullscreen/1443576679/
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

That link took me to your profile page.
I couldn't find your route.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

It is a great shame that the starter of the movement isn't riding the wimps lejog but I'm sure you will be pleased that ten other cyclists of mixed ages and locations were prompted by your post to register an interest to give it a go.
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
hughwill69

Post by hughwill69 »

Paulatic wrote:That link took me to your profile page.
I couldn't find your route.

Thanks for posting. I think I've made it public now. Let me know if there's still a problem.

Hugh

P.S. I am delighted that others have taken up the cause. See you on the road perhaps...
Robroadie

Post by Robroadie »

Have you had a look at the 'LEJOG on the National Cycle Network' published by SUSTRANS. The route was researched & ridden by a chap called Rob Richardson. i might contact SUSTRANS & see if i can get hold of Mr Richardson, to ask him about the hilly parts of the route, some of which im sure are inevitable because as the guide states in its intro on page 4: 'this route has been created . . . (paraphrase) . . . on greenways, quiet lanes & country roads while taking in some of the most beautiful landscapes, historic monuments' . . . etc

I've yet to complete LEJOG myself & im planning on going in June if all other planning & fundraising are on track this year but it seems to me that some hill climbing will be be inevitable so its a bit of an un-crackable nut !

i think alot of the challenge is taken up in our mind, so the way im gonna takle the hills is to say to myself 'well i've never ridden this hill before & so i will take it on like a little challenge in itself. Besides, its an inherent part of my route & it makes my journey MORE not less rewarding because my challenge is that little bit greater' Obviously one has to pace one's self & be sensible, going slow & steady if necessary, stopping if needs be.

The nice thing about the guide for me doing LEJOG for the first time is that its got the route in one handy pocket guide & it brakes the route into five sections with a profile map cross section showing height in metres over distance across that part of the route. You could always take your own variation where you want to.
robgul

Post by robgul »

Robroadie wrote:Have you had a look at the 'LEJOG on the National Cycle Network' published by SUSTRANS. The route was researched & ridden by a chap called Rob Richardson. i might contact SUSTRANS & see if i can get hold of Mr Richardson, to ask him about the hilly parts of the route, some of which im sure are inevitable because as the guide states in its intro on page 4: 'this route has been created . . . (paraphrase) . . . on greenways, quiet lanes & country roads while taking in some of the most beautiful landscapes, historic monuments' . . . etc

I've yet to complete LEJOG myself & im planning on going in June if all other planning & fundraising are on track this year but it seems to me that some hill climbing will be be inevitable so its a bit of an un-crackable nut !

i think alot of the challenge is taken up in our mind, so the way im gonna takle the hills is to say to myself 'well i've never ridden this hill before & so i will take it on like a little challenge in itself. Besides, its an inherent part of my route & it makes my journey MORE not less rewarding because my challenge is that little bit greater' Obviously one has to pace one's self & be sensible, going slow & steady if necessary, stopping if needs be.

The nice thing about the guide for me doing LEJOG for the first time is that its got the route in one handy pocket guide & it brakes the route into five sections with a profile map cross section showing height in metres over distance across that part of the route. You could always take your own variation where you want to.

There's not a lot new under the sun - in 2006 a chap called Simon Berry attempted to ride LEJOG using (almost) only Sustrans routes . . . he found that the poor surfaces, endless gates and illogical tortuous diversions slowed him to the point that he was so far behind schedule by about a third of the way he had to abandon the idea and continue with a non-Sustrans route. He was riding a Moulton - there's some stuff about him and a link here http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk/index. ... &Itemid=61

I would be interested to see how the suggested Sustrans route looks.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Very roughly: Land's End, Truro, Bodmin, Bude, Barnstaple, Dulverton, Glastonbury, Bristol, Gloucester, Worcester, Bridgnorth, Nantwich, Manchester, Whalley, Borwick, Penrith, Gretna, Abington, Glasgow, Balloch, Callander, Killin, Pitlochry, Aviemore, Inverness, Lairg, Tongue, Thurso, John O'Groats. 28 stages, 1200 miles in all.

I've only skimmed the book so far. It looks pretty enjoyable in an unhurried way, though there are a few sections where I'd make a different route choice.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
robgul

Post by robgul »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:Very roughly: Land's End, Truro, Bodmin, Bude, Barnstaple, Dulverton, Glastonbury, Bristol, Gloucester, Worcester, Bridgnorth, Nantwich, Manchester, Whalley, Borwick, Penrith, Gretna, Abington, Glasgow, Balloch, Callander, Killin, Pitlochry, Aviemore, Inverness, Lairg, Tongue, Thurso, John O'Groats. 28 stages, 1200 miles in all.

I've only skimmed the book so far. It looks pretty enjoyable in an unhurried way, though there are a few sections where I'd make a different route choice.

Hmm - given that the average (from cycle-endtoend.org.uk my website Journals and stats) is about 950-975 that's a lot of extra miles! - the other question, perhaps covered in the book, is the type of bike that would be appropriate for the tracks etc.
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

It says "All-terrain bikes, touring bikes and hybrid bikes will manage just fine. We have tested the route using a road bike equipped with Continental Gatorskin 28mm tyres and completed all stages puncture-free. We would not recommend using a lightweight racing/road bike."

I think that's the key - it's not meant as a guide for all-comers on fast bikes, but for those who like to take things in a leisurely fashion. Though there's at least one bit of the route where right now I wouldn't recommend anything less than an MTB...
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
sbcoombs

Post by sbcoombs »

I am looking for a challenge to celebrate turning 50 next year. I have been lurking on here for a while getting ideas. I would be keen to have more details on this ride as it sounds just what I want.
I've done 5 days touring the alps so not afraid of hills but was blown away by the scenery. 12 days sounds about right for length of time while still giving time to take in the views.
I just need to ensure I can get the dates free from work.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

sbcoombs wrote:I am looking for a challenge to celebrate turning 50 next year. I have been lurking on here for a while getting ideas. I would be keen to have more details on this ride as it sounds just what I want.
I've done 5 days touring the alps so not afraid of hills but was blown away by the scenery. 12 days sounds about right for length of time while still giving time to take in the views.
I just need to ensure I can get the dates free from work.

You have PM
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
sbcoombs

Post by sbcoombs »

PM responded thanks.