Easyjet with a CTC bag at Bristol airport

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
climo

Easyjet with a CTC bag at Bristol airport

Post by climo »

Often asked but things often change.
Flying out of Bristol Airport with Easyjet. Has anyone had problems with their bike in a CTC bag lately?
mnichols

Re: Easyjet with a CTC bag at Bristol airport

Post by mnichols »

Not sure if this is any help, but I've flown in/out of Bristol many times with a bike, and I've always just grabbed a cardboard box from a local bike shop and then ripped it up at the other end. I do the same coming into Bristol as well, I just find a bike shop online at the other end, email them and ask them to keep me a cardboard box back on the date required. Never had a problem and never been charged
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

So what bike shop is it?
delilah

Post by delilah »

I flew Porto Manchester with Easy Jet in September no problems with the CTC type bag. Just made sure it was nice and tight by sourcing some brown parcel tape locally and wrapping it around a few times.
Problem with a cardboard bike box is that you cant ride to or from the airport you need some kind of transport!
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

philvantwo wrote:So what bike shop is it?

I pick one up from my local bike shop and take it to the airport. When I'm travelling back I book the final night in accommodation near a bike shop that have said they will provide a free cardboard box. Ideally, hotel is walking distance to a bike shop and has a free shuttle bus. I know that sounds like a long shot but I've never not found one
climo

Post by climo »

I had a 'live chat' with Easyjet to get them to commit to their stated policy which I quoted to him

The bikes will be wrapped in a clear, strong, polythene CTC (Cycle Touring Club) bag. This is approved
by most airlines and plenty of people have used them on Easyjet and it states on your website;
Bicycles are permitted for carriage provided that specific criteria is met:
The bicycle must be packaged in a bicycle box or bag
Only one bicycle per box/bag is permitted
Can you please confirm that this policy is correct and current. Some people have had their bikes
refused even though they have complied with Easyjet's rules.
Could you please give a definitive answer to avoid misunderstandings at Bristol Airport.

11:36:03 Kulvinder:
Yes the bikes should be packed in a bicycle box or bag.

he waffled on about handlebars, etc.

11:37:23 climo
So just to be totally clear. The CTC approved bag is acceptable by Easyjet at Bristol.

11:37:47 Kulvinder:
If the above criteria meets you will be able to take the bikes with you.

They then sent me the entire conversation as a logo headed email. Needless to say I'll be taking at least one printout of the conversation with me.
What happens on the day may be different of course but that's the state of play now.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I flew with EasyJet Manchester to Berlin last August with it in a CTC poly bag - fine going out, but coming back from Schoenefeld it was refused & I had to pay 30 Euros for a box or leave it behind.... still waiting to receive an answer to my complaint.... I won't try it again.
climo

Post by climo »

Steve wrote:I flew with EasyJet Manchester to Berlin last August with it in a CTC poly bag - fine going out, but coming back from Schoenefeld it was refused & I had to pay 30 Euros for a box or leave it behind.... still waiting to receive an answer to my complaint.... I won't try it again.

We are taking the ferry back so no worries there then.
I was, and still am a bit, concerned about finding 2 bike boxes at Bristol Airport, it being small.
Wish these airlines / airports did joined up thinking.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

How are you getting to Lulsgate? Riding, or car/bus/etc? If not riding, just ask a bike shop in Warminster to put two of their cardboard boxes aside for you, pack bikes up and all is good. Either way, get some of those plastic drop-out separators -- also from bike shop, bikes are delivered with them and they just throw them away -- these will protect your forks and rear triangle from getting squashed.
climo

Post by climo »

Bmblbzzz wrote:How are you getting to Lulsgate? Riding, or car/bus/etc? If not riding, just ask a bike shop in Warminster to put two of their cardboard boxes aside for you, pack bikes up and all is good. Either way, get some of those plastic drop-out separators -- also from bike shop, bikes are delivered with them and they just throw them away -- these will protect your forks and rear triangle from getting squashed.

Thanks.
Train to Nailsea & Backwell Station then taxi. We've no wish to start the trip with a 200mt climb :(
No bike shop in Warminster but will get some spacers. We're leaving the rear wheel on. Bagging the bikes at the N&B station to save the taxis seats