Igaro D1 Dynamo USB Power Converter

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
climo

Igaro D1 Dynamo USB Power Converter

Post by climo »

Following on from the Luxos thread. Has anyone used this? Sounds like the solution as it's waterproof, tough and simple. I would guess all you do to turn your light on is unplug your phone or whatever from the D1 and turn your light on.
andrew_s

Re: Igaro D1 Dynamo USB Power Converter

Post by andrew_s »

See https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=100575.0

What you do to switch between lights and power depends on how it's installed.
If it is installed for dual use, it is indeed just a case of switch one on and the other off (or unplug in the case of the USB).
If it's got a separate dynamo connection, it's a case of have either the converter or the light plugged in to the hub.

Which you do depends to some extent on your hub.
The converter is supplied to wire directly in to the dynohub, just like a light.
With a SON hub, you just put piggy-back spade connectors on either the light or (probably) the converter, and it's easy to have either one, the other, or both installed, according to what's plugged into the hub spade connectors
Shimano or SP hubs connect via a connector block. You can wire both light and converter into the same connector block, but that's a more or less permanent decision (i.e. repeatedly changing from dual use to light only would use up the cable). Otherwise, it's either wire a switch or plug-in connector into the cable run, or use a hub connector block on each cable and just use one or the other.
[edit] Another possibility would be to rig up a connector block with spade terminals, and work as for a SON hub (from the "NC-17 Connect AppCon GT+" website, which is an alternative converter that's definitely not small and simple).

It's worth checking the Igaro website. The above may have changed due to feedback.

You can use both light and USB together, but in general there isn't enough available power for both. Light + phone navigation would probably fail to get much charge in the phone whilst giving a noticeably dim light. Something with low power consumption like a Garmin Etrex GPS (which uses AAs and won't try to charge them) may well be OK, especially if the backlight is on low.
ConRAD

Post by ConRAD »

andrew_s wrote:... it's worth checking the Igaro website ...

it's also worth to have a look HERE !!
seph

Post by seph »

hmm, looks good, any chance of the discount for reviews on this forum :D ?
climo

Post by climo »

ConRAD wrote:

First of all I must say I'm VERY impressed at the German's knowledge of english. Truly outstanding.

I'm left with the feeling that the D1's inventor is extremely knowledgeable and argued his points well and he's more concerned at real world conditions. Does it work well? The answer appears to be yes according to users. The other forum members seem only to be concerned with lab tests and EU warranty law. No one says ' Send me one and I'll test it'. Strange.

I looked at the Sinewave Revolution. An impressive unit but a square plastic box difficult to hide on the bike and non repairable? er.... no thanks. I've personal experience of the Luxos and I'm not very impressed. Reports on the Ewerk and Plug are variable but many say that they break or just don't work. Some reports are good.
I'm sufficiently impressed to order a D1. Time will tell.

climo in bed coughing and spluttering having been gifted a japanese cold by his american wife. A truly international cold!
martinn

Post by martinn »

I have one of these and a USB werk. This works better than the USB werk. It hides well and it's small and very light.
It charges my A2 power bank. I had problems directly charging my MIO but looking back I think the connector that I was using was too heavy and the connection to the GPS system was not robust enough.
The one drawback is running front and rear dynamo lights, I think the front light is definitely dimmer when the charger is connected, even when it's not connected to anything. I am in the process of looking for a suitable switch to "disconnect" the charger when I am not using it.

Martin
igarocom

Post by igarocom »

martinn wrote:I have one of these and a USB werk. This works better than the USB werk. It hides well and it's small and very light.
It charges my A2 power bank. I had problems directly charging my MIO but looking back I think the connector that I was using was too heavy and the connection to the GPS system was not robust enough.
The one drawback is running front and rear dynamo lights, I think the front light is definitely dimmer when the charger is connected, even when it's not connected to anything. I am in the process of looking for a suitable switch to "disconnect" the charger when I am not using it.

Martin

It's not possible, the power usage with no USB attached is negligible (10mA max).
igarocom

Post by igarocom »

ConRAD wrote:

Replaceable USB port?
Warranty length?
Waterproof?
Vibration protection (those SMD's will come off otherwise)?

Igaro D1 failure rate is presently 0.004% (excluding two USB port swaps, which is inevitable over time). Let's get the stats that matter out there and stop focusing on power output at 50kph inside a lab where it doesn't rain or suffer vibration or movement.