Cymru am byth - we love Wales!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
meic

Re: Cymru am byth - we love Wales!

Post by meic »

Loads there from Carmarthen and I have walked past loads of them without noticing the mistakes.
Even the one with all the times and distances for the cycletracks, which I studied when it was erected though not in a proof reading sense.
An L where there should be an I just gets processed out by the brain, you dont read by letter.

Always dangerous to set yourself up as a Grammar Nazi because I notice at one point the man being so picky writes Swydda instead of Swyddfa.
Yma o Hyd
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

meic wrote: ... the man being so picky writes Swydda instead of Swyddfa.

I did wonder if anyone else would notice.

:wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pwa wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Cofio Tryweryn!

You are showing your age now!

:wink:

I was a child then, but I think anyone interested in modern Welsh history should know about it. There were mass protests and Plaid Cymru was involved

Deng mlynedd o chwalu, Ten years of destruction is a book with many photos of the last years of Capel Celyn where Welsh was the only language
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

On the subject of language, a friend and former colleague of mine once ran a little project to plant fast growing willow coppice on land in industrial estates until it was needed for construction of new buildings, so that instead of being an eyesore for several years these places would for a while be a home to wildlife and a source of material for a wood pellet factory. The English Language name for the scheme was Wasteland to Woodland. Being in Wales, when we wanted to make large colourful promotional banners made we had to have everything in Welsh to. The professional translator gave us the correct Welsh and everything was printed. It looked great. We took it to a public event and put up the boards to make an attractive display. Then a Welsh speaker came up and pointed out that the Welsh version said Woodland to Wasteland. Very funny.
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

meic wrote:They really do live in each others pockets,

Got to live 3 doors down from their Mam :lol:
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

landsurfer wrote:
700c wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Why do you love Wales?

Newport Girls.

Valley Commandos ..... Thursday night discos at RAF St. Athan . . :D :D

I married a Newport girl :)
and I used to work at RAF St Athan. VC night :shock: and the Parachute club at the Hotel international near the airport. :wink:

Born and grew up in Newcastle, which is OK acording to my wife, as I am almost Celtic. :D Have lived in Wales for 30 years. Mother says I sound Welsh, Locals say I sound Geordie. Wife couldn't understand me when I was talking with my family.

But I associate more with being Welsh than English. I support Wales in the rugby. And I speak more Welsh than my Wife :D
The Welsh only support 2 teams, Wales, and who ever England are playing :lol:

Great cycling roads, wonderful mountains, Spectacular scenery, what's not to love.
:D :D :D :D Cymru am Byth :D :D :D :D
pwa

Post by pwa »

Neilo wrote:
landsurfer wrote:
700c wrote:
Newport Girls.

Valley Commandos ..... Thursday night discos at RAF St. Athan . . :D :D

I married a Newport girl :)
and I used to work at RAF St Athan. VC night :shock: and the Parachute club at the Hotel international near the airport. :wink:

Born and grew up in Newcastle, which is OK acording to my wife, as I am almost Celtic. :D Have lived in Wales for 30 years. Mother says I sound Welsh, Locals say I sound Geordie. Wife couldn't understand me when I was talking with my family.

But I associate more with being Welsh than English. I support Wales in the rugby. And I speak more Welsh than my Wife :D
The Welsh only support 2 teams, Wales, and who ever England are playing :lol:

Great cycling roads, wonderful mountains, Spectacular scenery, what's not to love.
:D :D :D :D Cymru am Byth :D :D :D :D

I think I'm going a bit native but you are definitely two stages further on.
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

I'll never be Welsh though, according to my workmate.
Although I have lived here longer than he's been alive :lol:
pwa

Post by pwa »

Neilo wrote:I'll never be Welsh though, according to my workmate.

Do some investigating. Somewhere in his ancestry will be some English. I have had a lot of perverse pleasure doing that with friends who have a dig at me for being English. We are all mongrels really.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Neilo wrote:I'll never be Welsh though, according to my workmate.

I think one can be Welsh AND English, I am. There are a lot of Newports (2 at least in Wales). My favourite Newcastes are in County Down and near Clun :wink:
700c

Post by 700c »

Neilo wrote:I married a Newport girl :)

Me too! Newport girls are top drawer.
robing

Post by robing »

Some great bands have come from Wales. I know Snowdonia a bit, but really want to do a grand Welsh tour.
I'm near Milton Keynes so might cycle towards south wales via the Cotswolds and Forest of Dean.
Then cycle back from north Wales via Shropshire and the midlands :D
Lon las Cymru looks a good route :)
Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

I love my Country Cymru but when I hear that a commemorative stone has been erected, on the old rugby grounds of Stradey, with only English on it my faith in my fellow country folk takes a beating. Home grown betrayers of our beloved Country and language are alive and well and thriving in the rugby word it seems. The excuse being that there was no room for the Welsh language. By all accounts the stone is seven foot tall, hardly a pebble.
It's going to take a long time before this despondent feeling passes and cycling through that part of Llanelli may never be the same.
Bradwyr llwyr ir iaith ar wlad.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bowedw wrote:I love my Country Cymru but when I hear that a commemorative stone has been erected, on the old rugby grounds of Stradey, with only English on it my faith in my fellow country folk takes a beating. Home grown betrayers of our beloved Country and language are alive and well and thriving in the rugby word it seems. The excuse being that there was no room for the Welsh language. By all accounts the stone is seven foot tall, hardly a pebble.
It's going to take a long time before this despondent feeling passes and cycling through that part of Llanelli may never be the same.

Rugby is strange to me, they tried to force us to play it at school in England so I took up cycling instead

Gwynedd has it right with the language, Welsh first
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Bowedw wrote:I love my Country Cymru but when I hear that a commemorative stone has been erected, on the old rugby grounds of Stradey, with only English on it my faith in my fellow country folk takes a beating. Home grown betrayers of our beloved Country and language are alive and well and thriving in the rugby word it seems. The excuse being that there was no room for the Welsh language. By all accounts the stone is seven foot tall, hardly a pebble.

Rugby is strange to me, they tried to force us to play it at school in England so I took up cycling instead

Gwynedd has it right with the language, Welsh first

At the risk of being controversial, I've never seen a need for one language policy for the whole of Wales. What seems right for Gwynedd may not be right for Chepstow. Around here, in the Vale of Glamorgan, very little Welsh is spoken. Even the old people don't remember Welsh being spoken in their families. I'm English so I stay out of arguments, but local Welsh people do seem to get angry when they feel that they are have Welsh "forced on them". I just wish the people who send bills in both languages would ask which language you want your bills sent in, halving the paper sent. And with place names, why not ask the locals what they like their locality to be called and stick with that.