Caen to Biarritz or Biarritz to Caen

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
andy_scot_uk

Caen to Biarritz or Biarritz to Caen

Post by andy_scot_uk »

Contemplating doing the west coast of France (EV1 then V43) first three weeks in June but undecided on weather to do North to south or south to north. Whats the opinion on prevailing winds?
RobinS

Re: Caen to Biarritz or Biarritz to Caen

Post by RobinS »

I would do north to south (we did Roscoff southwards early last year), mainly because I think it is easier and nicer to start in a cool climate, and for it to gradually get hotter rather than the other way around.
robgul

Post by robgul »

RobinS wrote:I would do north to south (we did Roscoff southwards early last year), mainly because I think it is easier and nicer to start in a cool climate, and for it to gradually get hotter rather than the other way around.

I'd agree with that - and when you're beside the sea it'll be nearer to you on your right.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
andy_scot_uk

Post by andy_scot_uk »

Thanks. I never considered the view of the sea thing.

I read that the wind was southerly and it's easier for me to get a flight out and ferry back (bike box).
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

About 10 years ago I came up from Spain along that way. Early June, and with head winds all the way so you cannot rely on a southerly. If keeping near the sea is important, then ok head south. I doubt I got within 5 miles of the sea at any point -except of course the ferry port.

Having said that, heading south is probably a good recommendation (I had no choice in the matter) because it means you acclimatise to warmer weather along the way instead of stepping off a plane/ferry into 34C having left England at about 18C.
trilathon

Post by trilathon »

I recall riding up through Spain and France along the Atlantic coast one May....it was warmer in France than in Spain, and the wind was rather variable, it's essentially flat between Nantes and Biaritz except for the odd bridge, but with lots of shelter provided by the woods especially south of Royan, so I'd not unduly be concerned with the wind, plus if you are on the coast you are tacking some of the time so it's never a demoralising battle of wills.
Searching for, and camping in, places of antiquity and wild beauty. Former ironman, 3PCX, Rough Stuff Fellowship, fell runner, regional time trial champion and 20 odd years of cyclo camping around Europe.
robing

Post by robing »

I cycled from Biarritz to Dieppe last September and had fantastic weather - really hot! I don't remember winds being much of a problem. I don't think being near the sea is an issue as most of the time you aren't right next to the sea anyway. Most of the section from Biarritz to the Gironde is in pine forests so you are quite sheltered from the wind. Do which ever way works for you. I wanted to go south to north as I wanted to get the longer journey out of the way at the beginning (I used Bike Express) and then it was just a simple(!) matter of cycling home. I also really enjoyed the ferry from Dieppe to Newhaven, the best cross channel ferry I've been on.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

andy_scot_uk wrote:Thanks. I never considered the view of the sea thing.
This can be non-trivial. A friend who has ridden the Pacific Coast both from S to N and N to S tells me you miss out on a lot being on the side of the road away from the sea. This is a route that has hundreds of miles along cliffs.
Mind you I've no idea how much of your route is inland or what the winds are likely to be. I once tried riding from Bergen to the Hook and the wind was utter misery.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
andy_scot_uk

Post by andy_scot_uk »

I've decided to go north to south and get the train back from Biarritz. I had considered a flight to Bilbao.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-A520F using hovercraft full of eels.
andy_scot_uk

Post by andy_scot_uk »

Hey

I finished my ride and went north to south. A lot of riding is done through forest so there wasn't a view of the sea to miss. :) I did agree that heading south was better as the heat built up.

I had quite a few adventures, kept a daily log and ended up doing the ride for charity. My blog is here if you are interested in the route and adventure. https://thecannytraveller.wordpress.com/

Cheers

Andy