low fat in france?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
witcomb

low fat in france?

Post by witcomb »

i would like to tour france this summer but i am worried about finding low fat food there. half of my heart is still plugged after an angioplasty, so i eat basically chicken, fish, vegetables, and some kind of carbs. think i could survive there?
tee-ell

Re:low fat in france?

Post by tee-ell »

you'll survive, the choice of fresh food is marvellous if you want to cook your own and eating out offers many healthy choices as well.
661-Pete

Re:low fat in france?

Post by 661-Pete »

A lot depends on what part of France you're going to. In Paris or other big cities you should be OK because of the choices available. But restaurants in some smaller provincial villages are sometimes a bit limited in choice. The concept of 'vegetarian option' is unknown in some places! In the area I'm mainly familiar with(Quercy - Lot region) avoid "magret" if you see it on the menu, it's duck breast with all the skin and fat left on! And also of course "foie gras". Usually there will be a salad option so you won't go hungry. Unless you're fluent take a dictionary! Don't expect every rural waiter to speak English!