Tarp big enough to enclose a bike, bivvy and gear?

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Firepanda

Tarp big enough to enclose a bike, bivvy and gear?

Post by Firepanda »

Hi guys

I'm new to cycle touring and think I've decided to go for tarp/bivvy setup because I'd sleep easier knowing my bike is safe and dry, plus I get the option to just use a bivvy in the instances when I am remote enough to not worry about my bike. I've researched the past 2 weeks for suitable tents but haven't been able to find anything.

I will be using this bike:

which I hope to be able to stand upright by the tautness of the tarp over the bars/saddle (or with a kickstand if necessary). I can perhaps remove the front wheel if necessary but the saddle currently stands almost 4 feet from the floor (with both wheels on) which I think would be a nice height for the shelter.

A requirement is that at least 3 sides of the tarp touch the floor to conceal the bike from the elements and to give some privacy, ideally all sides would be nice!

Is this a viable idea? I see people have done similar things, but haven't been able to find information on a full sized road/touring bike fitting under a lightweight shelter that people also use to sleep in - so I really don't know if I'm being stupid or not. I have almost no camping experience which doesn't help, but at least in this scenario even if the setup fails or I revert to a tent in the future I won't have wasted money as there's always use for a tarp and bivvy!

In all my years commuting and cycling day trips I have picked up all the necessary equipment, just all I'm missing is the camping stuff to be able to do a proper tour, would be awesome to invest now so I can have awesome cheap holidays in the future.

I'm looking at full alpkit stuff like their Skyehigh 700 sleeping bag and Hunka XL bivvy (which I hope I can get the dirtbag mat into as well), and considering their largest tarp at 4.3x2.8, but not sure if it's too big or too small.

Any help or tips appreciated.
Firepanda

Re: Tarp big enough to enclose a bike, bivvy and gear?

Post by Firepanda »

Actually, I hadn't seen this thread before posting my topic, and strangely enough it seems to answer a lot of my questions already! There's an example of a bike and tarp exactly how I described on the first page, also someone mentioned the mat I was going to get (or a similar one with the same dimensions) won't fit in the Hunka XL..

Still would be great to hear of any tips or warning about the setup I described!
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

A 10x8 tarp is more than enough to completely cover your bike and have some good room to sleep.

For not going mad as I did on the first time, I would advise to get a short length (1/2mt is more than enough) of paracord on each eyelet, so that you can easily tension all the edges. You can fit a line tensioner in each of them, they're easy to find in any camping shop

You would need to carry at least 8 pegs, 10 would be better. For the groundsheet there's many options, I use a piece of Tyvek that I've found around, but anything may do, it's good to have a dry spot to seat/arrange your stuff
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

I prefer no insects so got a lux mini peak 2 me bike and gear fit perfectly
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Well, by adding at least 1kg and more bulk... :roll:
And if no bugs are there in quantity, a tarp is great for the feeling of being surrounded by the nature, not being buried inside the tent.
I use tarps, and tents alike, is good to get the best of both when possible 8)
PH

Post by PH »

Gattonero wrote:Well, by adding at least 1kg and more bulk... :roll:

Where does the at least an extra kilo come from :roll:
The mini peak II weighs the same as the tarp and bivvy bag in the OP, that doesn't include the pole but then you're adding 10 pegs and a groundsheet, the tent may actually work out lighter and I doubt the pack size is much different.
Tent or tarp is a choice, but the op is looking for three sides touching the floor and some privacy, sounds more like a tent to me if a suitable one can be found. In any situation where I'm happy to be in a tarp and/or bivvy I'm also happy for the bike to be outside. a tent that you can open up to get that at one with nature feeling looks like the best option to me.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Not sure where you get the 1kg and more bulk. my set ups smaller and lighter than most tarp set ups I've seen given that no groundsheet or bivy bag is needed.

Total weight of mine is 1.7kg including outer inner pegs pole and guys. Lighter poles are available. As I say no groundsheet or bag required and the lot fits in my 9 litre saddle bag with room to spare

You can use the outer on its own too if you wanted
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

PH wrote:

The mini peak II weighs the same as the tarp and bivvy bag in the OP, that doesn't include the pole but then you're adding 10 pegs and a groundsheet, the tent may actually work out lighter and I doubt the pack size is much different.
Tent or tarp is a choice, but the op is looking for three sides touching the floor and some privacy, sounds more like a tent to me if a suitable one can be found. In any situation where I'm happy to be in a tarp and/or bivvy I'm also happy for the bike to be outside. a tent that you can open up to get that at one with nature feeling looks like the best option to me.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1/WF126.html
Luxe Mini Peak2= 1.47kg, add about 200gr of pole and you are to 1.7kg.

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/tarps ... WE103.html
Duo Tarp 10x8= 560gr, add 8-10 pegs is 80-100gr, use the bike as support and you are still within 700gr.
Which happens to be 1kg less than the Mini Peak2, don't get me wrong I too think it's a great tent for the money.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Gattonero wrote:
PH wrote:

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1/WF126.html
Luxe Mini Peak2= 1.47kg, add about 200gr of pole and you are to 1.7kg.

Duo Tarp 10x8= 560gr, add 8-10 pegs is 80-100gr, a Tyvek groundsheet is less than 100gr., use the bike as support and you are still within 750gr.
Which happens to be 1kg less than the Mini Peak2, don't get me wrong I too think it's a great tent for the money.

Btw, 3 sides touching the floor, good privacy, may even pitch with the option to close the front side too. I won't recommend it as it will not allow sufficient ventilation (=condensation will build up)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

have you ever knocked the bike over in your sleep?
PH

Post by PH »

Gattonero wrote:http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/tarps ... WE103.html
Duo Tarp 10x8= 560gr, add 8-10 pegs is 80-100gr, use the bike as support and you are still within 700gr.

I know that, but the OP is
looking at full alpkit stuff like their Skyehigh 700 sleeping bag and Hunka XL bivvy (which I hope I can get the dirtbag mat into as well), and considering their largest tarp at 4.3x2.8, but not sure if it's too big or too small.

IMO your post would have been better detailing how much lighter the tarp option could be, rather than rolling eyes at the suggestion for a tent that fulfills the OPs criteria - including fitting the bike in - and is a viable alternative without a significant weight penalty compared to what they're already considering, certainly nothing like 1kg.
Depending on the usage I'll choose to take a 2.2kg tent or a 600g hooped bivy bag, I've never felt the need to put the bike under cover, so that's irrelevant to the OP.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

PH wrote:...
IMO your post would have been better detailing how much lighter the tarp option could be,....

I think I've gave a breakdown of the weight in the message above? Please read.
Duo Tarp 10x8= 560gr, add 8-10 pegs is 80-100gr, a Tyvek groundsheet is less than 100gr., use the bike as support and you are still within 750gr.

also from the OP first message:
I've decided to go for tarp/bivvy setup because I'd sleep easier knowing my bike is safe and dry, plus I get the option to just use a bivvy in the instances when I am remote enough to not worry about my bike...

which I hope to be able to stand upright by the tautness of the tarp over the bars/saddle
(or with a kickstand if necessary). I can perhaps remove the front wheel if necessary but the saddle currently stands almost 4 feet from the floor (with both wheels on) which I think would be a nice height for the shelter.

A requirement is that at least 3 sides of the tarp touch the floor to conceal the bike from the elements and to give some privacy, ideally all sides would be nice!

Is this a viable idea?

The picture above seems to fulfill all those requirements, with less weight and 1/2 the cost.
Easy peasy :D
By the way, I may have to repeat
the Mini Peak2, don't get me wrong I too think it's a great tent for the money.
PH

Post by PH »

Suite yourself.
Here's what I see;
OP is asking about this at weight X
firestarter offers an alternative within a few grams of X
You give it the rolling eyes and the criticism that it's at least a kg heavier.
Whatever the narrative afterwards, I found your your post inaccurate and unnecessarily critical.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

PH wrote:Suite yourself.
Here's what I see;
OP is asking about this at weight X
firestarter offers an alternative within a few grams of X
You give it the rolling eyes and the criticism that it's at least a kg heavier.
Whatever the narrative afterwards, I found your your post inaccurate and unnecessarily critical.

Oh I am so sorry for the rolling eyes.
Thought that the original post that this chap had found, that picture of tarp-over-the-bike setup, would suit his needs in a convenient way.
Next time I'll be more careful with emoticons, so to not hurt your feelings.

Before criticizing me, you may want to see better the parts in bold, which happens to be different from your "OP is asking about this at weight X"
I've decided to go for tarp/bivvy setup because I'd sleep easier knowing my bike is safe and dry, plus I get the option to just use a bivvy in the instances when I am remote enough to not worry about my bike...

which I hope to be able to stand upright by the tautness of the tarp over the bars/saddle
(or with a kickstand if necessary). I can perhaps remove the front wheel if necessary but the saddle currently stands almost 4 feet from the floor (with both wheels on) which I think would be a nice height for the shelter.

Is this a viable idea?
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

mercalia wrote:have you ever knocked the bike over in your sleep?

No, not at all. And I am surprised that several people feel such setup prone to failure.
In reality, if correctly done, it's far stronger than a tent pole. For instance, the bike (frame & wheels) has next to zero vertical deflection from the vertical downward force (the tarp tension pushing). The only failure would be if the bike moves sideways, just as a tent pole is dislodged; and that is the reason I suggest to put the bike upside-down, so that the handlebars and saddle would offer a stable contact to the ground. Has to be said that any tall object on the handlebars (computer mounts, lights, brackets...) should be removed so that the bars -flat or drop- would rest on the ground by their extremities.