** The thread for Rants & Odds and Sods **

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: A RANT thread for Odds and Sods

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One rather dislikes the use of *pond life* as an insult

Waterboatmen, dragonflies, tadpoles, sticklebacks and other *denizens of the deep* are fascinating harmless creatures

Alternative suggestion - the scum that rises to the surface
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Vantage wrote:Then you have the few that park their work vans with all four tyres on the path. Good job there's not too many wheelchair users round here.
There probably are many wheelchair users and pram users
They stay at home because they would never get from A to B
Just so happens, we had a builder's truck parked full on the pavement right in front of our house this morning. They're working on a house opposite, but even so I think this is no excuse. Mrs P and I could have squeezed round it, even with bikes - but we have a very elderly neighbour (I won't say just how elderly, but she pre-dates Vera Lynn :roll: ) who relies on a shopping trolley for support as she walks past to the bus-stop (which she does, nearly every day :shock: ). She'd have had a difficulty squeezing past.

Luckily the truck has gone now. Otherwise I might have had a quiet 'word' with the builders. What would have been the outcome, I wonder? :?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:One rather dislikes the use of *pond life* as an insult

In our family "pond life" is a term of group endearment used towards the children and grandchildren of the family..... along the lines of "Morning pond life ... who wants to go to the beach ? " ... usually followed by cries of "me, me ,me " .....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

661-Pete wrote:Luckily the truck has gone now. Otherwise I might have had a quiet 'word' with the builders. What would have been the outcome, I wonder? :?
Update. Sometimes a bit of 'eye contact' is all it takes!

The truck which I said had gone, was back again when I returned from a quick trip into town. I said nothing, but I gave the builders a good hard stare as I manoeuvred my bike (a bit more clumsily than I would otherwise have :) ) around their vehicle. And one of the builders certainly noticed my stare. And lo and behold! The truck has now been re-parked on the opposite side of the road, adjacent to their other vehicle.

Sorted. Sometime folks out there do care, after all!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Waterboatmen, dragonflies, tadpoles, sticklebacks and other *denizens of the deep* are fascinating harmless creatures
Not quite harmless - some species of water boatmen are reputedly able to deliver a painful sting - although you'd have to be very unlucky to be stung by one.

Talking of which - has anyone else noticed the number of wasps about at this time of year? Normally they only show up in abundance in late autumn. We have several around the house at the moment: presumably they are queens looking for nesting-places.

Wasps do a lot of good early in the season by killing harmful insects, and should certainly not be persecuted. Having said that, having a wasps' nest in one's house is not a particularly inviting prospect. We've been gently shooing them out.

When we next visit our French house, we shall have to see if the hornets have taken up residence. Now that would be fun! :shock:
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

somebody's slagging my garden off on the internet :(

:lol:

actually my garden is a tip, because i live next to a school. the kids are pretty well behaved but the adults....

actual rant, labour party again. tom watson says unite-momentum plot could destroy party, and i'm sure it could, if there was a party to destroy. i'd really like it if a corbynista, or a blairite, would just come out and publicly admit that this is not for labour members. then they can do what they want, make anarchists fight objectionists, put vegans up against tobacco lobbyist... if they were more honest it wouldn't be my place to care what clash of failed ideologies (plural) they wanna mess around with.

objectionists... did i get that right? i'm thinking about 'atlas shrugged', not people who disagree with any given notion :grin:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

[vimeo][/vimeo]
ChrisOntLancs wrote:somebody's slagging my garden off on the internet :(

actually my garden is a tip, because i live next to a school. the kids are pretty well behaved but the adults....

actual rant, labour party again. tom watson says unite-momentum plot could destroy party, and i'm sure it could, if there was a party to destroy. i'd really like it if a corbynista, or a blairite, would just come out and publicly admit that this is not for labour members. then they can do what they want, make anarchists fight objectionists, put vegans up against tobacco lobbyist... if they were more honest it wouldn't be my place to care what clash of failed ideologies (plural) they wanna mess around with.

objectionists... did i get that right? i'm thinking about 'atlas shrugged', not people who disagree with any given notion :grin:

LibDems the only *european* party should do well next time, the 48% remainers will vote for them
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

i guess we're all coping with the loss in different ways :lol:

imo the problems labour are having exposed the problems i see in the current state of democracy, and that's already happened with the lib dems, though it was nice of nick clegg to apologise for a problem that was far bigger than the land mass he sort of governed!

i am sort of glad that they played the ref the way they did though, i'm not a massive fan of 'the system', but i wouldn't like it to just evaporate into a one party state where any opposition is ridiculed into obscurity.... brb just realised something

so i'm not trying to say i'm right or anything :lol:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Hey - let's just focus on things that sting, shall we?

Anyone want to rant on about nettles - or jellyfish - or whatever?
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

soz ha, i think it's better to see somebodies inclination as a rant, it's easier to take it on the chin if somebody disagrees with you, which is certain.. so i try and keep my politics here.

and i've never been stung, so i'm terrified by bees and wasps. i think one day i should get it over with!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

for dog lovers you must all get a BARKBOX for Rover? :lol: or toys etc

is this for real? I bet some one will say I used photoshop to make it

Get a Bark Box for your dog
Get a Bark Box for your dog
Last edited by mercalia on 21 Mar 2017, 9:10am, edited 1 time in total.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

DELETE
Last edited by mercalia on 21 Mar 2017, 9:11am, edited 1 time in total.
Boyd

Re: A RANT thread - Odds and Sods

Post by Boyd »

Edwards wrote:Seen as this is the rant thread here goes.

Those horrid people who want to bring their hatred and fear of others into things that have nothing to do with their paranoia.
Any body turning stuff like this into a political dig should be sent to live in the country they bring up and never return.
Or be forced to live with trump and farage in a squat and no money.

You know farage is married to a German? Hardly the xenophobic person you are suggesting.
Vorpal

Re: A RANT thread - Odds and Sods

Post by Vorpal »

Boyd wrote:
Edwards wrote:Seen as this is the rant thread here goes.

Those horrid people who want to bring their hatred and fear of others into things that have nothing to do with their paranoia.
Any body turning stuff like this into a political dig should be sent to live in the country they bring up and never return.
Or be forced to live with trump and farage in a squat and no money.

You know farage is married to a German? Hardly the xenophobic person you are suggesting.

No he's certainly not xenophobic. He's even helping out an attractive French woman who was forced out of her own accomodation by the loss of EU funding. http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-38879101

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

661-Pete wrote:Hey - let's just focus on things that sting, shall we?

Anyone want to rant on about nettles - or jellyfish - or whatever?

The price of my new B17. That bloody well stung!
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.