Handlebar bag for a (D)SLR camera ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Shoogle

Handlebar bag for a (D)SLR camera ?

Post by Shoogle »

Does anybody here use a handlebar bag for an DSLR (or SLR)? I need space for a DSLR and two or three lenses. I currently carry the camera gear in my rear pannier but it's not exactly handy for those spontaneous shots. What are the better handlebar bags for this purpose? (I tried a search on here but it come up with only one post)
Last edited by Graham on 27 Mar 2017, 10:17am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title
comfortablynumb

Re: Calling all photographers

Post by comfortablynumb »

Back in 2008 I bought a Ortlieb Ultimate 5 Plus Bar Bag for exactly the reason you mentioned, I was missing photos because I didn't want to get off and unload the camera from the back.
Worked well with my Nikon SLR and couple of lenses. I got some soft foam and cut it to roughly 3/4 fill the interior and then cut a hole quite neatly with an empty clean bean can, the edges are very sharp.
This allowed the camera to ride nose down on the foam. I cut more (smaller) holes for lens cleaning brushes etc.
When I upgraded to a Panasonic GX7 I just got a new foam liner and cut new holes to fit the lenses.
Steve.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Previous threads...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=46517
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=78653

There might be a few more of those about, if you search ;)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Its not really helpful but thats why I bought a Panasonic LF1, recently upgraded to a Panasonic TZ100. A lot of bar bags are very flimsy. The thought of a really expensive SLR and lenses in a bar bag fills me with dread. If you really must take it I would go for a rack top bag - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-rx-trunk ... -panniers/

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Shoogle

Post by Shoogle »

I think as long as it's well padded, it would be alright. I've been carrying it about for years in a home made box in my rear pannier. I tried it on the bars in my actual camera case and there was no handling problems but obviously, this isn't so good for quick access.
PH

Post by PH »

As is probably said in one of the other threads, I use an ortlieb foam camera insert, which also fits nicely in the Vaude Aqua Box bar bag.
I have Micro 4/3 body and three lenses which still leaves plenty of room for other stuff.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/luggage/ort ... bags-of94/
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Like others I customised an old Ortlieb bar bag using foam inserts. I think it's important to have something that is 100% waterproof.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Also depends onto camera

My usual cameras are large Pentax (K50 and K70) which can push the limits of a bar bag.

So I use an Olympus PEN EPL5 for cycling as it is much smaller, compact and fist far better than a larger camera into the bag

I have never bothered with lining the bag as it takes up room and I have found that the neoprene case I use to store cameras and lenses in are more than adequate for protection.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I have a csc rather than a dslr so it's intrinsically smaller, but I use a standard altura dryline bar bag, with lens and camera in padded pouches. Still has room for other stuff as well. I only took 1 lens last time touring though as I found that almost all my shotstuff were wide angle.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Also depends onto camera

My usual cameras are large Pentax (K50 and K70) which can push the limits of a bar bag.

So I use an Olympus PEN EPL5 for cycling as it is much smaller, compact and fist far better than a larger camera into the bag

I have never bothered with lining the bag as it takes up room and I have found that the neoprene case I use to store cameras and lenses in are more than adequate for protection.

The other option is to invest in a telephoto zoom and cut the number of lenses, although if you shoot at night, an f1.8 prime lens will be needed

As for weatherproofing. I take a lot of photos in the Arctic ( I was in Longyearabyen - not cycling, earlier this year) and I chose the Pentax K50 and 70 because of the additional weatherproofing for the possible adverse conditions.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I always carry the camera in my Ultimate3 barbag (and previously Ultimate2). Never been an issue, I have the Ortlieb camera insert which holds stuff quite snugly.

As the bag is waterproof up to the point of immersion that's never been an issue although on a few occasions warm damp conditions have caused temporary issues - but I don't think that's connected with how the camera is transported.

I do have a racktop camera box (the now discontinued Ortlieb clam shell) but I was never happy with how it was all shaken about on less smooth surfaces.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Warin61

Post by Warin61 »

Shoogle wrote:I currently carry the camera gear in my rear pannier but it's not exactly handy for those spontaneous shots.

You need a small point and shoot for the real spontaneous shot. You will miss it unless the DSLR is fitted with the lens you want, has a fast boot up time and is to hand.

My own preference is for the smart phone camera for the spontaneous shots, or to photo record things. For a good shot I use a Panasonic FZ 200 (new model is the FZ 300 - adds water resistance and a bit better processing). I have had SLRs and found I was always using a zoom lens to the extent that I was leaving the other lenses behind. And the SLRs all disintegrated over many miles of travel .. vibrations got to them. The lenses seem more robust. Looking at what I was carrying and what I was using .. I settled on the FZ200 as being a reasonable compromise between size, weight, performance and my use. Like most things a good photo is 90% photographer and 10% gear. Having said that I do carry some accessories ... a remote shutter release, tripod, circular polarising filter... oh the camera manual and notes for those strange shots.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

Missing the shot! I stopped my bike and walked into a farm entrance to get a lovely shot of a field of daffs a few years ago - as I then turned around to put the (bridge type) camera in the saddlebag a barn owl flew within 6 ft of me and, of course, I missed the shot :(
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Warin61 wrote:
Shoogle wrote:I currently carry the camera gear in my rear pannier but it's not exactly handy for those spontaneous shots.

You need a small point and shoot for the real spontaneous shot. You will miss it unless the DSLR is fitted with the lens you want, has a fast boot up time and is to hand.

My own preference is for the smart phone camera for the spontaneous shots, or to photo record things. For a good shot I use a Panasonic FZ 200 (new model is the FZ 300 - adds water resistance and a bit better processing).

And you may still miss it...

Yesterday on my way to work, I heard the distinct sound of swans. I took my camera (phone; Nokia 808 with 41 MP sensor and Carl Zeiss lens) out of my pocket whilst I looked around for them, and they were flying north in a V. They were already some ways away, but I tried, anyway, and got one blurry shot of a V of swans, and a couple of shots of empty sky. :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

On the bike/walking, a compact digital camera in a small puch that clips to my belt. Pouch has a flap with a velcro fastening. Pull, switch on, point, shoot!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !