Trike brake cable length

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
Tilley

Trike brake cable length

Post by Tilley »

I'm sure I've seen some discussion about this on here before so apologies if I am resurrecting an old chestnut. But I have a Trice QNT with drum brakes and the set up is such that the lever farthest from the wheel operates that brake ie left lever operates right wheel brake and vice versa. This results in longish cable runs which cross just behind the steering head beneath the seat. Whilst I can see that this does ensure that the steering cannot be limited by the length of cable, it does mean there is a lot of cable and a certain lack of response. Is there any reason why the cables cannot be rerouted direct from the lever to the nearest brake obviously allowing sufficient cable length to account for steering?
[XAP]Bob

Re: Trike brake cable length

Post by [XAP]Bob »

No, that's how mine have always been - far more logical to control
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Post by hoarder »

I've checked through the folder of photos I've got of various Qs and QNTs I've copied from the internet - all of them have front drum brake cables routed to the same side as the brake lever.
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

[XAP]Bob wrote:No, that's how mine have always been - far more logical to control
+1 :)
"42"
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Depends on the design

My Catrike, HP Velotechnik Gekko and the Kettwiesel all use direct braking to the adjacent wheel

My Trice (1994) had a matched pair off one lever

The system work well and allows you to bleed off speed on one wheel when cornering

I would assume that the modern Trice engineering and geometry would account for any brake steer

Try it and see how you get on.

(PS it also saves cable and outer costs as they tend to wear at the ends and the middle section will be usable for these brakes in the case of the outer and the inner can be cut shorter
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

Thanks for all the responses once I am fit and well, I will be cleaning the trike and reconfiguring the brake cables.
bryan.fanson1

Post by bryan.fanson1 »

I wouldn't like that at all. I have become quite proficient at braking around corners, that to pull the right hand lever for a left hand turn would be just so wrong and counter intuitive.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my D6603 using hovercraft full of eels.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I can kind of see the point on a narrow track trike - if you're leaning out strongly then being able to apply the outside brake from the inside might be easier...

I think my brain would hurt though - but then I'm used to 'same side' braking
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

There may have been a reason for it such a to prevent water sitting in the bend of the cables.
Try asking ICE about it.
Maybe a previous owner set them up wrong when fitting new cables or a LBS did, after all with the crossed routing it wouldn't put such a tight bend in the cables on full lock

What year is your QNT?
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Looking at my owners manual 2007 TRICE 'Q' & TRICE 'T' shows a setup of L-L and R-R in the photo's but makes no mention of it in the initial setup/assembly instructions.
Possibly because the cables come fitted to the brake levers that are attached to the handlebars along with the gripshift gears.

The adjustable "tectro" brake levers should be set with the cable nipple holder closer to the pivot of the lever, I.E. the knurled thumb screw screwed right in to give better power and feel to the drum brakes.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

nigelnightmare wrote:There may have been a reason for it such a to prevent water sitting in the bend of the cables.
Try asking ICE about it.
Maybe a previous owner set them up wrong when fitting new cables or a LBS did, after all with the crossed routing it wouldn't put such a tight bend in the cables on full lock

What year is your QNT?

Quick one about waterproofing

I was shown a trick of putting a "cable doughnut" in between the cable outer and metal ferrule to increase the waterproofing
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

I put a V'brake worm on the end of the adjuster and use Silicone grease to lubricate the entire inner cable.
I've found that to be very effective on brakes but can make gear changes slower until it wears in.
Basically work the gears a few times before the first ride to get everything freed up.
Tilley

Post by Tilley »

Cable length considerably reduced and brakes seem much sharper and responsive.