Amsterdam to Düsseldorf TDF Camping Trip

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
meejozzz

Amsterdam to Düsseldorf TDF Camping Trip

Post by meejozzz »

I've followed the TDF for its first week or so for the past few years - a touring trip with the lads. In the early days we stayed in B&Bs but we've now taken to camping for a bit of added adventure. This year we're sailing to Amsterdam and making our way down to Arnhem before following the Rhine down to Düsseldorf for the Time Trial and Grand Depart, then a slow meander back up to the ferry again.

I've got my site in Düsseldorf sorted well in advance as it's bound to be busy but should I've booking sites in advance for the rest of the trip? Or should I take a chance that we'll be able to pitch up at any old site? I've got Archiescampings.com on my phone so locating places should be no trouble. I'm usually the type of guy who likes to have places booked but is it really necessary?

Thanks in advance.
foxyrider

Re: Amsterdam to Düsseldorf TDF Camping Trip

Post by foxyrider »

Can't say on your question, I'm just very jealous as before my health issues I was going to do a similar trip staying with friends who live a mile from the stage 2 route! Very green :(
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
meejozzz

Post by meejozzz »

Sorry to hear you can't make it Foxy. I'm in Newcastle and the ferry to Holland is about an 8 mile cycle from my front door. Usually it's a day-long drive to Pompey...
trilathon

Post by trilathon »

Dutch sites can be busy and with most now catering for motor homes more than tents I'd imagine it would be best to book if arriving in a group as sometimes they just have a tiny area for tents and wild camping is very much frowned upon with such a intensively managed landscape.

They do have some free, unserviced grounds, which may suit a group, for an occasional night, so perhaps worth looking to see if there are any on your route.
Searching for, and camping in, places of antiquity and wild beauty. Former ironman, 3PCX, Rough Stuff Fellowship, fell runner, regional time trial champion and 20 odd years of cyclo camping around Europe.
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

I wouldn't worry about reservations unless your group is very large. There are plenty of campings in NL, and the school holidays start later
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
Joe.B

Post by Joe.B »

I’m spending a few weeks in Holland and Germany this summer with the wife and kids. For the Netherlands I bought a set of Falk Fietskaart 1:50000 maps which are superb, campsites are shown and there are loads of them. We don’t intend to plan the Dutch leg of our ride in any great detail, just use the maps to decide tomorrows destination as we go.
meejozzz

Post by meejozzz »

Thanks for the replies guys. We're a small group this year - only 3 of us. Archie's campings has masses of sites in Holland but they get a bit sparse once you get into Germany for some reason. I might just book up the German sites and take my chances in the Netherlands.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

meejozzz wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. We're a small group this year - only 3 of us. Archie's campings has masses of sites in Holland but they get a bit sparse once you get into Germany for some reason. I might just book up the German sites and take my chances in the Netherlands.

If you are following the Rhein on the German leg it's a bit industrial hence the lack of camping. There are sites but not riverside until you get closer to Düsseldorf.
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Richyg

Post by Richyg »

Hi I'm planning doing this route with my son (13)for the Tdf. We are looking at cycling to Düsseldorf from Amsterdam over 3-4 days then train back to Amsterdam then ferry back home. So far I've only googled mapped it and it's around 140 miles. He could manage about 50 miles per day as long as there's not to many hills (if any!!) any advice on a good route would be appreciated
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Richyg wrote:Hi I'm planning doing this route with my son (13)for the Tdf. We are looking at cycling to Düsseldorf from Amsterdam over 3-4 days then train back to Amsterdam then ferry back home. So far I've only googled mapped it and it's around 140 miles. He could manage about 50 miles per day as long as there's not to many hills (if any!!) any advice on a good route would be appreciated

There are no hills! The first bit of higher ground is east of Düsseldorf where stage 2 goes out to Mettmann. The obvious route is head south east past Rotterdam and pick up the Rijn/Rhein. The Dutch cycle path network is great but for longer distances it can be time consuming. Once at the Rhein it really is simple - just head upstream!
Richyg

Post by Richyg »

Thanks its not too far to Rotterdam I see then pick up the Eurovelo route, which campsite have you gone for in Dusseldorf. We are just at the planning stage now as still have to speak to school but he reckons it can go down as PE ha
meejozzz

Post by meejozzz »

[quote]Thanks its not too far to Rotterdam I see then pick up the Eurovelo route, which campsite have you gone for in Dusseldorf. We are just at the planning stage now as still have to speak to school but he reckons it can go down as PE ha/quote]

Sorry, I just saw this comment :roll: - Cycling UK don't seem to be sending me updates anymore!

We're staying at https://rheincamping.com/ They seemed very friendly when I spoke to them - spoke better English than I do (then again, I'm from Northumberland :oops: )

We've decided to to 'wing it' for the rest of the campsites. Let the wheels take us where they may. Probably to the pub....
Davidwd

Post by Davidwd »

Joe.B wrote:I’m spending a few weeks in Holland and Germany this summer with the wife and kids. For the Netherlands I bought a set of Falk Fietskaart 1:50000 maps which are superb, campsites are shown and there are loads of them. We don’t intend to plan the Dutch leg of our ride in any great detail, just use the maps to decide tomorrows destination as we go.

They do a complete atlas now with all the junction numbers in etc and its small enough to fit in a bar bag, it does save buying lots of maps
Richyg

Post by Richyg »

we cannot get a campsite in Dusseldorf or a hotel that doesn't cost the earth so we are still planning. He now wants to cycle to Berlin and sod the TDF off ha. If we cannot get accommodation in Dusseldorf we may have a change of plan for the destination. He's not that bothered about the TDF and just wants an adventure but the ferry is booked so there no going back :)