Grumpy people on CTC Forum

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
peter236uk

Grumpy people on CTC Forum

Post by peter236uk »

I find it quite funny and sad really that there seems alot of people on the CTC site that feel all they have to is moan at other members with sarcastic comments and moans.

You hear comments about people's grammar and we have done this before, this has been covered etc etc. Come on guys get life and and start being friendly to other members and users.

Oh and I have been a member for 11 years so feel I can have my say !!

:D
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I think sometimes a "leg-pull / teasing" comment loses some of the nuances that would be picked up if the same banter was being passed around at a tea shop stop.

So we do have to be careful how something is written, and we should be friendly to each other. Also there are situations where we just have to agree to disagree as we all have our own opinions or ideas about what makes our cycling better. Slagging someone off just because they insist on using the oldest gadgets around or prefer the latest widget or have different opinions as to the type of cycling they do, is not constructive.
We are here to share advise, tales and ideas.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
peter236uk

re

Post by peter236uk »

Very true it does not matter if you ride the top of the range carbon bike or an old bike to go to the shops on the important thing in my view is we all ride and enjoy cycling what ever your level.

I have a mate who races but thinks I am bit odd in that I sometimes go out on a road bike in lycra but just as happy in baggy shorts a t shirt and just ride to coffee shop.

each to there own thats what i say,
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

I actually think that this forum is about as friendly as they get. And yes it is a bit of a "grumpy old men/women" at times but generally I think that most do realise that we're all interested in bikes of one sort or another and use them in all sorts of different ways but we do it for fun.

For me it's like having the experience of being in a cycling club without having to go to one (which I haven't got the time to do).
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Nerazzurri

Post by Nerazzurri »

eileithyia wrote: Also there are situations where we just have to agree to disagree

I could think of one or two threads like that at the moment............... :roll:
peter236uk

re

Post by peter236uk »

I just got wound up by someone who went on about grammer someone had posted a question and the first responce was about there grammer.

Now if this person was new to cycling etc and some xxxx had a go about the grammer what impression does that give,
Yes most people are great and really helpfull it just some people grrrrr haha

Oh by the way english was never my strongest subject in fact not sure what was !!
Last edited by peter236uk on 3 Jul 2008, 10:53am, edited 1 time in total.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Nerazzurri wrote:
eileithyia wrote: Also there are situations where we just have to agree to disagree

I could think of one or two threads like that at the moment............... :roll:

No, you're wrong. :wink:
david143

Post by david143 »

kwackers wrote:
Nerazzurri wrote:

I agree :lol:

What is the fun in a debate that is not pushed. Horses for courses I think, but happy for others to disagree and show me I'm wrong :wink:
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

david143 wrote:
kwackers wrote:
Nerazzurri wrote:

What is the fun in a debate that is not pushed. Horses for courses I think, but happy for others to disagree and show me I'm wrong :wink:

Exactly, no point in a debate that isn't. Sometimes you learn something that might influence your thinking, sometimes you just have to agree to disagree.

I don't know about other people but I also support a lot of things I don't agree with. Simply because I think it's important that their views/actions are heard and provide a balance for the opposite pov (even when that opposite pov reflects mine).

I'm sure nobody really wants to live in clone world. :wink:
david143

Post by david143 »

kwackers wrote:
david143 wrote:
kwackers wrote:
Nerazzurri wrote:

Exactly, no point in a debate that isn't. Sometimes you learn something that might influence your thinking, sometimes you just have to agree to disagree.

I don't know about other people but I also support a lot of things I don't agree with. Simply because I think it's important that their views/actions are heard and provide a balance for the opposite pov (even when that opposite pov reflects mine).

I'm sure nobody really wants to live in clone world. :wink:

Yes, but the agree to disagree part shouldn't be considered at the first hurdle....Still needs to run the course as things can and often do get back on track.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I enjoy a good debate. Never an argument. Arguments make you say things ill-considered and hasty. Arguments make you angry.

Life's too short to be angry.

What about:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=k3HaRFBSq9k
Mick F. Cornwall
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Mick F wrote:Life's too short to be angry.

No it's not.

"That's not an argument, it's a contradiction!"
david143

Post by david143 »

Grievous mental confusion aside (from the sketch), a debate where people hold views can and will sometimes get to being personal, but that is not the intent; just a result of getting overly drawn in.
peter236uk

re

Post by peter236uk »

I think you miss the point debate is great and sometimes we dont agree I have freinds who political views make me cringe but that does not make me dislike them.

I have friends that think cyclists are a pain in the buttock thats there point of view but does not make me dislike them.

My point was about people getting all uptight if grammer is not correct or oh there is another thread about this in a curt manner.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

david143 wrote:Grievous mental confusion aside (from the sketch), a debate where people hold views can and will sometimes get to being personal, but that is not the intent; just a result of getting overly drawn in.

Compounded by the fact that you can never be sure you've got your point across (even after stating it several times in slightly different ways). To you it's obvious and you're sure if they understood what you were saying they'd agree... Perhaps the other guy is deliberately ignoring your points...
Exasperation follows, then the name calling starts.

Then again you may agree with someone in principle but think they're view is simplistic so play devils advocate. :wink:

There's no easy answer. Obviously understanding what's happening is a start, but sometimes it's difficult to let it go... (And I'm as guilty as anyone - although I do try to sit back and think if I'm tempted to call someone).