Invisible Idler ?

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Invisible Idler ?

Post by hoarder »

I guess the bike shop that did the last service doesn't often see recumbents...... :shock:

[The "Q" concerned is now in ITU, and should make a full recovery ]
squeaker

Re: Invisible Idler ?

Post by squeaker »

:shock: puts my mis-aligned chain tubes job of years back into perspective :lol:

Did the front cross member get away with it?
"42"
hoarder
Location: South of Newmarket, SW of Bury St. Edmunds. ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ sƃuıɥʇ ʇɐ ƃuıʞool

Post by hoarder »

squeaker wrote:Did the front cross member get away with it?

Surprisingly, yes, the main cross member was not even scratched. (Update: Actually, "no", see below)

However, not such good news further back for the edge of the seat support and a small section of the seat frame. Having worn through the upper surface of the tube, the chain took a chunk out of both - I'd estimate the seat support has lost 2-3mm off the right-hand edge, and the lower surface of the seat frame has a groove that'll need some form of repair.
Last edited by hoarder on 5 Apr 2017, 11:07am, edited 1 time in total.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

How's the patient doing?
Still in ITU?
hoarder

Post by hoarder »

Good of you to ask !! A fuller inspection revealed wear to the main crossmember :( and using a caliper and measuring either side of the damage, it appears I've lost just under 0.9mm (including the paint) through chain abrasion. The patch is small, and not jagged, so fingers crossed it will not be the site for future problems once repaired. The majority of paintwork scratches have been prepped, and proper touch up paint obtained from ICE (there were some other scratches and rust patches on the underbelly of the cruciform). New chain tubes and mounting bracket, with idler, now ready, along with new chain, brake cables, gear cables, parking brake kit, and seat clamps. Some Big Apples are ready for the front two wheels, and just need to order a Marathon Plus for the rear.

The most satisfying bit so far has been solving the notchy steering; starting off with the central steerer bearings needing replacement (ordered, arrived), no doubt because they only move in an arc, not fully rotating, they wear over a limited range only. Then finding the right kingpin upper bearing had been replaced previously with an undersized variant, and the lower cartridge bearing (likely the correct size, but by now worn) wouldn't budge due to an "ovalled" lower race. Reshaping that race this morning solved the probem, and reassembly with the two bearings from the other size meant the kingpin turned freely again. I think I'll replace each side's bearings with new whilst I'm at it. Just the bearings in wheels to check (once I remember which box they're in.....). Within a couple of days I'll have all the components ready, so it'll just be working through finishing off the paint work, and reassembly. :D
Last edited by hoarder on 15 Apr 2017, 4:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Re Notchy steering.

Mine was when I first got it but I got away with cleaning & re-greasing the bearings.

Don't over-tighten the pinch bolts as this will distort the bearings making it notchy.

Would like to see some photo's when it's done.