Spending money

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
david143

Spending money

Post by david143 »

Now there is the proper place to ask this.......

Next year I intend to buy a 3 wheeler. Has to be recumbent, but to date; I have not been happy with what I have heard about some Tadpoles (shimmy for some, wheel alignment going out quickly, tire scrubbing), and the fact that they tend to have very low seats.

I do have a back problem, so would not always be able to get in and out of a seat that is very low, especially with a fairing on.

I was therefore also looking at Delta trikes like the Kett and Lepus, the Lepus appearing more comfortable with suspension.

I want 3 wheels for all weather riding, ie. stability. Is there any other trike that might fit the purpose, remembering a Lepus how I might buy it could cost around £3,400, and/or does anyone have any knowledge of the Kett and Lepus trikes?
byegad

Post by byegad »

I have just bought a Kettwiesel to compliment my Trice QNT. As vehicles both are good. The QNT will, if ridden hands off on a bumpy road, develop a slight stearing shimmy. This is easily damped with a little finger touching the bars and only found at speed on a rough road. The Kett needs a light hand on the bars to avoid bumps putting you of line.
The Kett' is easier to get on and off being higher and a delta, the QNT is a smoother ride. This is partly due to the rear suspension and partly due to two 50mm Big Apples at the front and a 60mm BA at the back. The Kett has Kojacks 1.3in wide and is a much harsher ride, that said both are comfortable enough for a 3 hour ride without having to dismount. The Kettwiesel seat was uncomfortable at first and I fitted a Trice seat pad less than £8 including postage to smooth it out. The trice seat, also with the pad, is good enough to go to sleep on!
The Lepus has rear suspension and would, I'd guess be as silky a ride as the QNT.

Hope that helps. :D :D

Both are really stable at high speeds (which I only reach downhill) the record so far is for the QNT at 48mph.
david143

Post by david143 »

Thanks....

I was originally just looking at tadpole design. However, the seat height would be an ongoing issue, especially as any with much higher seating would need to be LWB design.

I understand about the hopping of the Kett, and presume this is largely due to most weight being central over the rear axle, rather than forward of it, having the most effect going uphill with bumps? It looks as the Lepus seat is more forward so should not suffer with hopping as much? and with suspension, provide a smoother ride.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

HAve alook atthe Catrike Range - good solid and reliable.trikes with excellent backup service.

The new Villager has one of the highest seats around.... and less than £1000!

As for fairings - have a look at Windwrap - they have a swing mounting that allows the fairng to move forward for mounting and back into the riding position.

david143

Post by david143 »

Cunobelin,

Thanks, but there is the Scorpion FX with a higher seat, and I came to the conclusion that even that might be too low.

Villager seat height = 12.5"
Scorpion FX seat height = 13.75"

All other Catrikes have lower seats.

The Kett seat height is 18"
Lepus seat height is 19" to 28" (adjustable)
byegad

Post by byegad »

david143 mentioned the Kett' hop.

If you want to ride on hilly,rough, loose surface trails then, in my opinion, a Kettwiesel needs the optional differential at £400 extra.

Equally if you mash the pedal hard the differential could be for you.

But if like me you spin and do not ride it off road then the Kettwiesel hop is a quirk which is soon ignored. Really after a few mles it is not an issue, I can hop its front wheel, but then I could do the same on my Philips Boardwalk and Speed-Pro folders, however, you soon learn the technique to avoid it on all of them. I'd suggest a test ride on any trike you may be about to shell out good money for. I test rode a Kett' and ordered mine without the diff'.
david143

Post by david143 »

byegad wrote:david143 mentioned the Kett' hop.

If you want to ride on hilly,rough, loose surface trails then, in my opinion, a Kettwiesel needs the optional differential at £400 extra.

Equally if you mash the pedal hard the differential could be for you.

But if like me you spin and do not ride it off road then the Kettwiesel hop is a quirk which is soon ignored. Really after a few mles it is not an issue, I can hop its front wheel, but then I could do the same on my Philips Boardwalk and Speed-Pro folders, however, you soon learn the technique to avoid it on all of them. I'd suggest a test ride on any trike you may be about to shell out good money for. I test rode a Kett' and ordered mine without the diff'.

Yes, fully intend to test ride a few when time gets closer. There is nowhere close to test ride everything though, hence shortlisting based on things found out and basic observations.

I ride a StreetMachine with 152mm cranks, so used to spinning (until knackered that is). Not really any other long term option with a recumbent I don't think.

all riding would be on-road, so had already discounted the possible need for a diff if I took that route.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

The Anthrotech is a fairly high tadpole. London Recumbents and Futurecycles are both UK based dealers.

I've ridden a Kett and it's great fun, particularly the ability to do handbrake turns by braking one side or the other!

Pete.
david143

Post by david143 »

pjclinch wrote:The Anthrotech is a fairly high tadpole. London Recumbents and Futurecycles are both UK based dealers.

I've ridden a Kett and it's great fun, particularly the ability to do handbrake turns by braking one side or the other!

Pete.

Yes, the Anthrotech appears to have a seat height of around 17", but is too upright. I do need a more recumbent position so weight is more distributed rather than going down my spine.
byegad

Post by byegad »

Is this far enough back for your spine?

byegad

Post by byegad »

Another view
byegad

Post by byegad »

Another try at another view.

byegad

Post by byegad »

sorry about the second post. The edit function isn't showing!
david143

Post by david143 »

byegad wrote:Another try at another view.

Currently ride a StreetMachine with 40 Deg (approx) seat back, and no
problem with that. From what I have seen with both the Kett and Lepus, is
that they can be adjusted to something similar. The Lepus PDF states it can
be adjusted from 42 - 55 Deg while the seat is set low. 42 Deg should be
fine.
Anura

Post by Anura »

Hi, have recently bought a - guess what - an Anura Delta trike from Greenspeed.

It's a narrower track than the Kettwiesel (which I also like) but has a diff as standard and Speed drive. The turning circle is wonderful and you can turn almost on a sixpence (if you are old enough to remember what one of those is)

The seat height is great and you can just sit on it from one side, then put one leg over the beam. It's higher than an ICE T. Disk brakes all round.

Am not sure of price as mine was a demo. Ian Simms is very helpful!

If you send me your email address on private message I'll send you a photo but in the meantime just key in Greenspeed and look up Anura.

Cheers