Way of the Roses

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
DEV5

Way of the Roses

Post by DEV5 »

Anyone ridden the Way of the Roses between Morecambe and Bridlington?

Just wondering how tough the climbs are, how easy the route is to follow, any decent accommodation on the route, how long the ride should take a complete novice etc?

Thanks in advance for your replies
Vorpal

Re: Way of the Roses

Post by Vorpal »

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

There's a very steep hill somewhere in Yorkshire you need to know about. All in previous threads.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Going from West to East, there is a very steep climb out of Settle. We were doing it with the kids, so we walked that. My daughter was about 10 and managed to cycle up all the other hills. We did it over a few days with a day off in York (YHA) but you could do it in two days without kids, or one if you are in record breaking mode.
DEV5

Post by DEV5 »

Thanks for the replies chaps, very much appreciated

Is the route easy to follow or am i likely to get lost en route :lol: :lol: :lol:
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

Timely post as I'm thinking of doing this over Easter, as long as the weather's not too rubbish. Now where's my crystal ball?
REDLIZ

Post by REDLIZ »

I did it a couple of years ago over 5 days. Lots of tips about accommodation etc on the Way of the Roses website. Well worth getting the official map, as the route spans about 3 os maps. We only missed a couple of turnings and in both cases we easily managed to navigate back to the route. The signs can be on lamp posts etc, so start looking out for them as you come up to junctions.
raj

Post by raj »

I did it in 3 days last September, overnight in Burnsall & York B&B. 1st & 3rd days allowed for train to/from start/finish. Route is clearly signposted for the most part. There's a few youtube videos that might help to give an idea of the terrain and places enroute. Apart from the legendary climb out of Settle, there is one more from Appletreewick up to Greenhow, longer but for the most part not as steep, followed by a potentially dangerous decent the other side into Pateley Bridge (with casualties in the past). Most of the hills are within the Yorkshire Dales, by Boroughbridge and the Vale of York it's mostly flat. In at least one place it looks to have been rerouted slightly to avoid a potentially dangerous right turn on a bend, but otherwise navigation is pretty easy even without the benefit of a route planner barking out instructions.
DEV5

Post by DEV5 »

bohrsatom wrote:Timely post as I'm thinking of doing this over Easter, as long as the weather's not too rubbish. Now where's my crystal ball?

Let me know how you get on :)
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

DEV5 wrote:
bohrsatom wrote:Timely post as I'm thinking of doing this over Easter, as long as the weather's not too rubbish. Now where's my crystal ball?

+1
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
leadale

Post by leadale »

Did it last June, some climbs are quite hard, but when you're done in you just get off and walk them. It takes as long as you want, plenty B&Bs and hotels along the route are used to cyclists, it took us 5 days but others do it in 4 or less. The headwinds can be a strain sometimes, but the hardest part is spotting the waymark signs in overgrown hedges etc, you need to keep a sharp look out for the signs.
vjosullivan

Post by vjosullivan »

I did it a few years ago with my daughter. An easy start is just there to fool you. The first real hill, about 10 or 15 miles in, got me worried but mostly it was fine. As mentioned above, there is one steep descent, on a main road, which requires caution and one very steep ascent, on a quiet and road, which requires determination. Not being particularly fit but refusing to walk, I eventually did it by cycling one telephone pole at a time and resting (collapsing) at each one. You can save a few miles by cutting off the loop into Ripon but don't just cycle past Brimham Rocks. Time it so you can have a snack break there and enjoy the unusual formations.

Going under the A1 marks the half-way point and once you're off the Pennines the rest is very flat. We were unfortunate on the flat part in having to spent the whole day battling into an easterly gale with little shelter from the wind. Knackering and boring in equal measure.
E25
bohrsatom

Post by bohrsatom »

DEV5 wrote:

We never went in the end, unfortunately couldn't get accommodation in Settle for night 1 so decided to do something else instead. You lot will have to let me know how you get on now :)

(Instead we rode a route in the south east, closer to home, roughly from Basingstoke to Yeovil then down to Poole in Dorset. It was a fantastic 3 day's riding, 95% on quiet country lanes through some glorious countryside and very pretty villages. Two nights in some country pubs with good food and great beer, too. Highly recommend exploring the area and happy to share my route if you are tempted!)
DEV5

Post by DEV5 »

bohrsatom wrote:
DEV5 wrote:

We never went in the end, unfortunately couldn't get accommodation in Settle for night 1 so decided to do something else instead. You lot will have to let me know how you get on now :)

(Instead we rode a route in the south east, closer to home, roughly from Basingstoke to Yeovil then down to Poole in Dorset. It was a fantastic 3 day's riding, 95% on quiet country lanes through some glorious countryside and very pretty villages. Two nights in some country pubs with good food and great beer, too. Highly recommend exploring the area and happy to share my route if you are tempted!)

Sounds good, if i ever get down that way i will chase you up on the route