Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
KFT

Re: Lejog for wimps please- or am I on my own? ( merged )

Post by KFT »

As a comparison on day 4 starting from Chelvey and ending at Leominster:
Using the A38 is 84 miles with 3600 foot climbing.
Using the Severn Bridge and then following the Pergrine Trail from Monmouth up to Ross is 81 miles with 4600 foot climbing.
puffin

Post by puffin »

This is a great thread, the contributions are fascinating, especially as to the choices of routes. Can you tell me something? When I do LEJOG my total ascent is around 52,000 feet. Is my route hilly, the norm, or flatter than most?
Best wishes and good luck (I'm starting the week after you)
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

puffin wrote:This is a great thread, the contributions are fascinating, especially as to the choices of routes. Can you tell me something? When I do LEJOG my total ascent is around 52,000 feet. Is my route hilly, the norm, or flatter than most?

In comparison it seems a bit hillier than ours. How are you calculating the height gain?

At the moment this is an approximation of our route with still some details to sort out:-
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20481480
This implies that we are doing 38,500 feet climbing (13,500 ft less) but we have found that if you add each individual days elevation that it varies with the total.
It is very easy to add height depending on your route especially if you chose country lanes instead of "A" roads. Other route options such as going through the Lake District or some of the Scottish Glens will also add height.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
KFT

Post by KFT »

At the moment the consensus appears to favour the route through Wales, if we add 4.5 miles at the start of the route we can knock off 350 foot of climbing.
KFT

Post by KFT »

Puffin,
We are also finding that the ascent figures vary greatly dependant on the software used.
As an example, i have a 26 mile route planned in mapmyride which shows 1126 foot of climbing.
If I import it into bikehike it comes out as 1727 foot, in ridewithgps it is 1577 foot and in plotaroute it is 1926 foot.
I have no idea which, if any, are correct.
The figures I have shown earlier for days 2 - 6 are all using bikehike.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

KFT wrote:Puffin,
We are also finding that the ascent figures vary greatly dependant on the software used.
As an example, i have a 26 mile route planned in mapmyride which shows 1126 foot of climbing.
If I import it into bikehike it comes out as 1727 foot, in ridewithgps it is 1577 foot and in plotaroute it is 1926 foot.
I have no idea which, if any, are correct.
The figures I have shown earlier for days 2 - 6 are all using bikehike.

The only way is to stick to one piece of software, make your alterations to get the best combination of miles to climbing then go with it.
If you are upset by the figures put the same route into other software and pick the result you like best.
I guarantee the route will be just as long and hilly when you ride despite what your software says
I'm not getting older,just gaining more experience
KFT

Post by KFT »

Yep, I have now been using bikehike for a while, but just thought it might be useful to make the comparison for Puffins benefit, as his 53k might actually be less than our 38.5k.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

puffin wrote:This is a great thread, the contributions are fascinating, especially as to the choices of routes. Can you tell me something? When I do LEJOG my total ascent is around 52,000 feet. Is my route hilly, the norm, or flatter than most?
Just looked at my LEJOG and Back records from 2006.
LE to JOG was 36,800ft of ascent.
I did JOGLE on the Raleigh Chopper in 2010, and that came out at 39,550ft but I took a slightly different route.
Mick F. Cornwall
flash

Post by flash »

See Raleigh Chopper, that makes my idea of doing it on a 1946 fixed gear bike look relatively normal......
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

I can understand people wanting to ride the old Severn bridge while we are relatively near, even though it's against the original brief of lowest miles and least climbing,but is there a way to miss that huge climb to Clifton
Last edited by oldmanonabike on 21 Apr 2017, 10:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
flash

Post by flash »

I cycle up Park Street most evenings after work. It's a good climb and you get most of the climb out of the way in one go.....
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

flash wrote:I cycle up Park Street most evenings after work. It's a good climb and you get most of the climb out of the way in one go.....

As far as I'm concerned there is no such thing as a good climb and the ethos of the wimps is to avoid climbing where possible
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

oldmanonabike wrote:
flash wrote:I cycle up Park Street most evenings after work. It's a good climb and you get most of the climb out of the way in one go.....

As far as I'm concerned there is no such thing as a good climb and the ethos of the wimps is to avoid climbing where possible

To para phrase Wigfield ... " The only way is Down " ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
oldmanonabike

Post by oldmanonabike »

This would have been my preferred route past Bristol
www.plotaroute.com/route/383317
puffin

Post by puffin »

The only way is to stick to one piece of software, make your alterations to get the best combination of miles to climbing then go with it.
If you are upset by the figures put the same route into other software and pick the result you like best.
I guarantee the route will be just as long and hilly when you ride despite what your software says

Good point. I use Garmin TC and have uploaded my actual courses after the trips.