Advice required - Securing Bikes in the Garage at Home

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
noonoosdad

Advice required - Securing Bikes in the Garage at Home

Post by noonoosdad »

:D I am mindful that in these times we live in, 'miscreant cycle-thieves' not only want to target our bikes when we leave them locked or unlocked in public places, but they may also try to steal them from our homes. Bearing in mind how much they cost I am wanting to review my security situation at home. My sons and I currently store our bikes in the garage at the side of the house. The garage is kept locked with the usual up and over garage door type lock at the front and there is a 'sensor' security flood light which acticates on approach to the building.
I think I really need to be looking at securing the bikes to something within the actual garage itself. Can anyone recommend any such system and preferably something which isn't going to break the bank ?
Many thanks.
In the words of Jacques Cousteau," Il est tout mon cul et Betty Grable !"
yakdiver

Post by yakdiver »

I lock my bike to the towing eye of my car, see cars are useful :lol:
UrbanManc

Post by UrbanManc »

Ground anchors . :)

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductSearchAdvanced.aspx?Wd=ground%20anchor&cat=cycle

.........and if you have a house alarm look into wiring your garage into the same system.
Ben Lovejoy

Post by Ben Lovejoy »

The other very cheap improvement is to weld shackles onto the outside bottom corners of the doors, with clasps bolted to the ground. This stops the main means of breaking into up-and-over garage: bending the corners up.

Ben
TRICE Q with Streamer fairing for the fun stuff
Brompton M3L for the commutery stuff
LEJOG blog: http://www.benlovejoy.com/cycle/tripreports/lejog/
moultoneer

Post by moultoneer »

I installed a torc anchor from here:http://www.torc-anchors.com/

It bolts to the concrete floor, and comes with a drill to do this. It is designed for motorbikes, but suits bikes too.

I chain and padlock my bikes to it. Did this after a local fellow cyclist had two newish Thorns stolen from his locked garage.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

The torc ground anchor is neat and secure in itself but its designed to have a wheel secured by a short chain. For a bike you really need to secure the frame.
After losing everything in a shed raid I had something along the lines of the shed anchor built by a local steel worker. It fixed through wall strut and floor beam, was built out of something too big for a bolt cutter and had an arm long enough to D lock 4 bikes to it. Still use it in the (brick) outhouse.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I keep mine inside over-night. Nothing is perfect though.
Basil W Bloke

Post by Basil W Bloke »

We are normal and we want our freedom
We are normal and we dig Bert Weedon
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

there's a few here 8)
Lawrie9

Post by Lawrie9 »

I keep my bikes in my house. Chain the special one to my bed.
MartinC

Post by MartinC »

You can secure an up and over garage door with a Garage Defender http://www.pjbsecurity.co.uk/products.asp?id=7 - I've seen them on sale in B&Q too. B&Q also sell very good chains with ground anchors too (Masterlock) for securing Motorbikes - they're good for bikes too.
GrahamG

Post by GrahamG »

I live in some 60's flats with garages in blocks that are wonderfully sheltered from view of either the flats or the road going past (there have been two cars up on bricks in the last 6 months!), so this is a pertinent one for me.

The up and over doors can sometimes be broken into using nothing more than a steel rule. Our door roller bits are missing from the runners so it can be opened just by jiggling the door so we have something similar to this:
http://www.saundersonsecurity.co.uk/acatalog/Garage_Defender.html

Inside the garage I'm going to install some wall mounts with lock loops and lock bikes to them. Hopefully that means that it's difficult to get leverage with bolt croppers, and I'll be using mini u-locks in the hope that they can't be opened with a bottle jack.
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

get a doberman! :lol: :lol: :lol:

still our labrador does a good enough job!
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
Si

Post by Si »

lauriematt wrote:get a doberman! :lol: :lol: :lol:

still our labrador does a good enough job!

Saw program ages ago about how to secure your home. A couple thought that they were fine because off their two dogs that barked at everything. Theif broke in, fed the dogs, stole all of their valuables and then stole the dogs too :roll:

I'm saving up for a torc anchor and pragmasis chain.
Willpower

Post by Willpower »

I'm never too sure about these extra security things on garages. Unless they're seriously impregnable, do they not just tell the theif that there's something worth stealing within?