Small handlebar bag with map holder or just a map case?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
GrahamG

Small handlebar bag with map holder or just a map case?

Post by GrahamG »

Thought I'd pick everyone's brains here on this one as I'm having trouble finding anything suitable!

I'm after a bar bag for long day rides, mostly because I want a decent waterproof map/route card holder and besides not liking the look of those available, thought I may as well have a bar bag for camera and snacks.

Problem is that they all seem huge, 6 or 7 litres or so, or don't have a map case. Any ideas on something suitable?

Thus far I've only come across one from Edinburgh bike coop, but they've not got back to me with dimensions yet:
Evolution 3l bar bag
asr

Post by asr »

I can only recommend that you avoid the Altura Arran bar bag.

Decent, but definitely not waterproof.
GrahamG

Post by GrahamG »

That's funny, I forgot to mention that I wanted to avoid Altura like the plague - they've had their '3 strikes' with various products over the last few years and are definitely out now!
johno

Post by johno »

Hi Graham

I have an Edinburgh Cycle Coop bar bag on bike at the moment. I have just measured it and the width is 22cm, depth is about 14 cm and height about 17cm. The Rixen & Kaul fitting seems to sit it about 4 cm away from the handlebar.

I understand that (like all their bags), it is made for them by Vaude. I have been very pleased with it overall although a bit of oragami is required to get OS maps into the map holder. However, having seen most of the other bar bags on the market, they all seem to be too big. The Carradice bag (I think) was the only other one of a smallish size but it was a bit more pricey from recollection.
GrahamG

Post by GrahamG »

Johno - that's a great help, thank you very much for going to the trouble.
johno

Post by johno »

No problem, Graham.

I would add that I have just bought the Edinburgh Cycle Coop rack pack (following the good review in Cycle Magazine a few months ago). It is described as 5 + 1 litres in capacity and presumably that is because the pack can be expanded. I tried it over the weekend and combined with the bar bag it worked really well, especially as I often find a pannier is too much for a day ride or the commute.
PH

Post by PH »

The EBC bag is almost identical to the Vaude Road 1
http://actionoutdoors.co.uk/shop/vaude- ... -1782.html

The only difference I could see was the EBC one has a mesh outer pocket on one side. They are nice bags but be aware they're far from waterproof, they come with a rain cover but this also covers the mapcase.
Manx Cat

Post by Manx Cat »

The most waterproof one I ve used is the Orlieb one. I have one, its very good and very waterproof. ONly negative, is that I cannot use the barbag and the front light system at the same time.

Mary
GrahamG

Post by GrahamG »

Thanks for the pointers everyone, I've ordered the EBC one so will soon find out if it's suitable!