What do people use for GPS backup on tours

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
ukdodger

What do people use for GPS backup on tours

Post by ukdodger »

Just wondering what others do when touring for backup for their GPS if it fails. Another GPS or maps? I carry two identical GPS's and software to download tracks from Gpsies if needed. But that's all extra weight and still liable to fail. Maps dont fail but enough for a long tour would be cumbersome. Do you just take just the one and chance it? A GPS failure in the middle of nowhere would be a serious problem.
landsurfer

Re: What do people use for GPS backup on tours

Post by landsurfer »

When you say nowhere i take it you mean the Steppes or the Sahara Desert .... otherwise look at road sign ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

landsurfer wrote:When you say nowhere i take it you mean the Steppes or the Sahara Desert .... otherwise look at road sign ....

If you can find and read them. Going a long way without a map by road signs in a foreign country wouldnt be easy.
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

i would be interested in where you are going and how remote it is!...two gps incase one fails. seems way Ott.I have always just taken a map?compass and ask directions.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I take paper maps and use a GPS as back-up. When it gets complex I rely on the GPS a little more. Before setting out, perhaps over breakfast, I familiarise myself with the route. Occasionally I stop and glance at the map. The GPS will be on but stuck in a bag. It comes out when I'm not certain. It runs on AA batteries because I know I'm not reliant on charging.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

durhambiker wrote:i would be interested in where you are going and how remote it is!...two gps incase one fails. seems way Ott.I have always just taken a map?compass and ask directions.

Holland, Denmark, Germany & France. About 1800m. I'd need a big map and I dont speak any foreign language.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

pwa wrote:I take paper maps and use a GPS as back-up. When it gets complex I rely on the GPS a little more. Before setting out, perhaps over breakfast, I familiarise myself with the route. Occasionally I stop and glance at the map. The GPS will be on but stuck in a bag. It comes out when I'm not certain. It runs on AA batteries because I know I'm not reliant on charging.

Interesting. What sort of maps?
pwa

Post by pwa »

ukdodger wrote:
pwa wrote:I take paper maps and use a GPS as back-up. When it gets complex I rely on the GPS a little more. Before setting out, perhaps over breakfast, I familiarise myself with the route. Occasionally I stop and glance at the map. The GPS will be on but stuck in a bag. It comes out when I'm not certain. It runs on AA batteries because I know I'm not reliant on charging.

Interesting. What sort of maps?

It depends. Sometimes just pages torn from a cheap road atlas. You need enough detail to know that a turn on a minor road is coming up in the next mile, but not so detailed that the map is like a bedsheet. In places like France you will also find useful road signs to help you confirm that the lane is the one you are looking for. GPS comes out if I am in doubt and the decision matters. Over the course of a six hour ride in a mountainous area the GPS might come out half a dozen times. They don't use much battery if you use them that way.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I only use my pda with gps for its gps should I get lost or I an navigating a complicating set of country lanes. Other wise use a paper print of the map
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

I'll sometimes take a simple typed list of the villages I'm planning on passing through - enough to get me from one place to the next with the aid of signs, and in extremis you can ask a local.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

ukdodger wrote:
durhambiker wrote:i would be interested in where you are going and how remote it is!...two gps incase one fails. seems way Ott.I have always just taken a map?compass and ask directions.

Holland, Denmark, Germany & France. About 1800m. I'd need a big map and I dont speak any foreign language.

You could try several smaller maps - the concept of having a spare GPS in case one fails I find "difficult" - and "cumbersome" is a somewhat clumsy expression to use about a resource that has been centuries in the making :D
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

psmiffy wrote:
ukdodger wrote:

You could try several smaller maps - the concept of having a spare GPS in case one fails I find "difficult" - and "cumbersome" is a somewhat clumsy expression to use about a resource that has been centuries in the making :D

I've never had a GPS fail but I've been on a tour when someone else's did. It's a sensitive device getting a rough ride without shock absorbers. Backing it up doesnt seem unreasonable to me considering it's importence and all the other spares we carry.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:I'll sometimes take a simple typed list of the villages I'm planning on passing through - enough to get me from one place to the next with the aid of signs, and in extremis you can ask a local.

That's not a bad idea. Have you ever been forced into using it?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Back in the olden days, I rode a JOGLE.
No internet, no mobile phone, no satnav.

I drew herringbone maps of the route.
I studied the road atlas and drew a straight line for each day with diagonal and straight roads off left and right pointed at destinations and mileage between each junction. I drew it upside down so I didn't get too confused with north/south.
I had one sheet per day in A5 in a plastic sleeve, tucked into a back pocket. The rest were in my panniers.

I still have them somewhere ............. probably in the loft with the rest of the stuff. :oops:
Mick F. Cornwall
psmiffy

Post by psmiffy »

ukdodger wrote:
It's a sensitive device getting a rough ride without shock absorbers. Backing it up doesnt seem unreasonable to me considering it's importence and all the other spares we carry.

GPS devices are ridiculously robust - I often use them when im working and they have survived being buried and dug up using a mechanical excavator - my last etrex survived being run over by a decent size bulldozer and half a dozen 67T dumptrucks

Having spare batteries or a means of powering the GPS would seem to be sensible - in the case of a complete failure - more likely that the GPS gets "misplaced" or stolen - a backup of the route you are following to install on a new GPS would seem prudent