SPD pedal compendium

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Brucey

Re: SPD pedal compendium

Postby Brucey » 7 May 2017, 8:49am

however I suppose that the SPD system was the first system to use the now ubiquitous (in MTB and leisure shoes, at least) two-bolt recessed fitting.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mnichols

Postby mnichols » 7 May 2017, 8:10pm

Sorry if this has been covered, but it's a long thread. What is the best way to lube SPD pedals? I just give them a quick squirt with WD40 every so often and after every wet ride or bike wash. Is that ok?

Gattonero

Postby Gattonero » 7 May 2017, 9:37pm

mnichols wrote:Sorry if this has been covered, but it's a long thread. What is the best way to lube SPD pedals? I just give them a quick squirt with WD40 every so often and after every wet ride or bike wash. Is that ok?

Spray with GT85, if you have a compressor blast away, then a few drops of any medium-weight oil (I use my ubiquitous FinishLine Wet) just to keep rust at bay.
I guess that WD40 too can do the job as moisture-displacer, followed by light lubrication of the springs/adjuster. You want oil as it gose in between all the gaps, and will get washed away with time so won't attract an amount of dirt to be concerned of.

Over the years I had tried to regularly grease inside the bindings, with no particular benefit. Have to say that my bikes are always kept in order and is one of the reasons I don't get rust: my finances are not unlimited so my stuff has to last ----> keep it clean! :mrgreen:
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...

Brucey

Postby Brucey » 7 May 2017, 9:48pm

mnichols wrote:Sorry if this has been covered, but it's a long thread. What is the best way to lube SPD pedals? I just give them a quick squirt with WD40 every so often and after every wet ride or bike wash. Is that ok?

The bindings will work better when they are lubricated but

a) the main problems if you don't lube them are stiff operation and rust on the binding parts
b) the pedal bearings require maintenance (roughly annually for most users)
c) even if you lube the bindings and keep the bearings happy, eventually the jaws wear where they bear against the cleat. You can (with care) compensate for this, but eventually the pedals will wear out this way.

BTW the thread is long but the lead post contains advice on lubrication etc and I have tried to keep it updated as more information becomes available, so please read that.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~