myklops cycle mirror

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
smuggers

myklops cycle mirror

Post by smuggers »

Hi..

Like many other cyclist's I have tried various cycle mirrors over the years & I've been struggling to find anything suitable for a drop bar with bar end shifters fitted. Have just come across the myklops & wondered if anybody as actually used one ? I have flared drops & will be up in The Hebrides, next month fully loaded & will feel much safer using a mirror.. Just a case of finding one that's suitable.

Here's the webpage for myklops >>> http://www.myklops.com/

Regards..

Smuggers..
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. --H.G. Wells
Mike Sales

Re: myklops cycle mirror

Post by Mike Sales »

I find the 'Third Eye' on my shades does the job well.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

Yes I have one and I am quite happy with it

My only gripe would be the strap, which was a bit of a faff to fit

I've since replaced it with an elasticated strap
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

It seems to me that the mirror would be fine if you leave your hands in a fixed position. When riding drops I would normally have hands on the hoods, on the upper curve, towards the centre, or occasionally on the drops. All these would need the mirror to be adjusted which would take my attention away from the road. Since my hands move frequently around the bars I do not think this design would be for me. I have tried a couple of mirror designs over the years, bar end and mounted on glasses, and whilst I like the idea I have yet to find one that works adequately for me. As smuggers says, it is a case of finding one suitable..
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

You don't mention what type of brake levers you have. Mirrycle still make their original mirror for old style drop levers. With some work drilling and tapping I have fitted this model to an STI lever. Should work with SLR as well.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

Update on the Myklops - they aren't very good. I bought two when I had the recumbent and they were always slipping and altering themselves. Very very poor for the money!
millimole

Post by millimole »

Dave W wrote:Update on the Myklops - they aren't very good. I bought two when I had the recumbent and they were always slipping and altering themselves. Very very poor for the money!

I'd agree that they are overpriced for what they are - and thus poor value, but mine doesn't slip. The slippage /might/ be due to what clothes you wear under the attachment, and how tight you are prepared to tolerate the strap.
With drop bars there is no single 'right' position.

You can easlily remove the Tapatalk spam using settings on YOUR phone
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

Agree with the price being a bit steep

With the elasticated strap I use with mine - I get no slippage, no matter what I have under the strap.

They really need to rethink the strap.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

A touch expensive and the drops one wouldn't work with your hands on the tops - might get away with it on the hoods.

I'll take a picture of mine and post it tonight. It's one of these but I fixed it on the horizontal part of the drops-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Eye-Rear ... xydB1Si6K7
Dave W

Post by Dave W »

Mine slip inside the body itself. The mirror is on a stalk which relies on a couple of rubber o rings to give it some friction. On a recumbent your arms are upright so the stalks poke out from the side. Couple of potholes and they twist round and drop with the vibration.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

My mirror as promised.

mirror.jpg
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

That's rather neat. Can you adjust the angle left to right as well as vertically? (Hope that's clear)
Myklops

Post by Myklops »

Hi all, just came across your comments about the Myklops rear view mirror and thought I’d chip in.
Firstly, I just want to clarify that I appreciate all feedback, good or bad, this will help me to improve the product.
I created the Myklops for myself as I didn’t want anything attached to the frame of my bike. People commented positively on my prototype which gave me the idea to develop something for the cycling market. I agree it’s not going to suit everyone; I’m just trying to offer an alternative.
Regarding the price, I would love to get it down to around £15, but at the moment as I’m only ordering small quantities I’m paying a higher price, then the distributor wants a margin and the retailer wants a margin, and right now the exchange rate is against me too, hence to make this viable I need to charge £19.99. Much thought, effort and design went into the Myklops to ensure usability, I’m not sure it can be compared, price wise, to a standard mirror that fixes to the frame.
Regarding the strap, I agree it’s a ‘faff’ to get on, I hear this a lot, so much so I’ve changed the buckle and added a loop configuration that makes the strap more user friendly – I’d happy send out a new strap to anyone who wants one free of charge – just contact me through my website.
Regarding the ‘slippage’ that has been spoken about – the mirror should not be doing this, if it does its faulty and I will swap it free of charge. However, the ‘slippage’ may occur if the mirror is not configured correctly, i.e. when using with a recumbent bike or drop handle bars you will only ever need to extend the flat black arm and the yellow arm should be fully inserted into the base unit, in this position the mirror will not drop out of place as the hinge between the two arms is designed to rest against the black rim of the base unit. Hope this make sense.
Also, I would never recommend to move the mirror whilst cycling, you shouldn’t really need to do this. The great thing about the Myklops is that it’s fixed to your wrist, instead of moving the mirror you can make slight movements of your wrist to get a better or alternative view when needed.
I’ve created several videos that show how to get the best from the Myklops, including how to make the strap larger to fit over winter cloths, plus how to configure for different cycling styles.
I’d be happy to answer any questions or concerns, via this forum or through the ‘contact page’ on my website. Regards, Mark.
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

Thanks Mark

I am glad to hear you have redesigned the strap.

The main problem I found with the old one - was adjusting the strap on the fly - for changes of clothing during sudden downpours.

I find an elasticated solution solves this problem and also means that (if folded) I don't have to remove it from my wrist, when changing from a jersey to a waterproof jacket.