Info please, re Italian 'Alan' aluminium road-bike framesets

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
SorenFog

Re: Info please, re Italian 'Alan' aluminium road-bike frame

Post by SorenFog »

Hi breakwellmz

Hmm... The holes to stop the crack is a must, yes, if not sawing off the entire piece.

Unfortunately the handlebar stem needs to be inserted relatively deep into the steerer tube, and there is absolutely no play between the inside of the steerer tube and the handlebar stem. So this solution won't help avoid expanding the crack in the upper end when the handlebar stem's expander bolt is fastened. Unless I misunderstand what you want to do.

But you gave me another idea with the retainer.

Instead of an insert, I could wrap some very thin steelplate around the cracked part and using adhesive to bind it. Alternatively find (or make) an exactly measured 0.5 mm steel tube, heat it up and cool down the steerer tube to slide it into position. There isn't much play inside the tube, but there is still a little and probably enough (about 1-2 millimeters).

Thanks for the inspiring idea!
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

Morning.
I take your point about the stem expander bolt opening up the crack.
I can`t imagine your stem fits the ENTIRE length of the steerer?
A cut off portion from an old stem would be the sort of fit you need for 638,i THINK it works on a .010" maximum gap.
Check out the technical specification.
It would also be appropriate for securing your reinforcing sleeve(I like that one!)
I`ve used it on components where it`s not been possible to braze or weld.
If used properly,it IS strong!
Remember,the structure you are riding on,or hope to be soon,is BONDED together!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Loctite-638-H ... Cardmaking
DonMattas

Post by DonMattas »

Fat Boy Riding wrote:Hi There, ALAN bike are still in manufacture, in fact I was emailing Alberto Falconi yesterday (he is the AL in Alan the AN is his sister Anna) I own three Alan frames and have ridden thousands of miles on the earliest which was made in '82, with not a single problem (and I weigh 105 kilos) I have recently built up a new old stock '93 silver Record frame and it rides like a dream, interestly when I was buying components for the frame a dealer (who shall remain nameless) told me also that he wouldn't touch Alan as the joints come unglued (which they will if you put a heat gun on them!) and proceeded to try and sell me one of his own brand, which a mate reliably tells me have a reputation for breaking but the cycling press love them, ah those marketing men make all the difference !!
It is worth noting that in the nineties there were 6 pro teams all riding Alan carbon/aluminium frames. The new frames are all built handbuilt in Italy and are still regarded as cutting edge for cyclocross. CTC may have sued Alan on behalf of a rider, and thousands of Ford Maverick owners sued Ford but that doesn't stop people driving Fords, so why not keep an open mind and if you know that the frame has never been built up then try it, if you don't like it sell it on ebay, they still go for a couple of hundred quid. And if it is a polished ali one then chances are it looks stunning !

Hi Everybody! I just have bought an ALAN Frame and looking for any clue to know what year is my frame, i found thhis post. I have read it and now I have a general idea of the year. Additionally I sent an email to Alberto but unfortunately never received any answer. I was wondering if any of you or Mr. Fat Boy Riding could have a more precise idea of the year of my bike. I let some pics on flickr hoping they can be usefull https://flic.kr/s/aHskgocroB . Thank you in advance!
Fat Boy Riding

Post by Fat Boy Riding »

Hi DonMattas

I've responded to you question but in essence what you have is a Super Record which were made from circa 1978 onwards - although your frame is missing the top tube cable eyes which were on all of my early frames

Campagnolo Record or Super Record 6 speed would be consistent with the age of the frame and can be sourced on E-Bay

Good luck with your project
DonMattas

Post by DonMattas »

Fat Boy Riding wrote:Hi DonMattas

I've responded to you question but in essence what you have is a Super Record which were made from circa 1978 onwards - although your frame is missing the top tube cable eyes which were on all of my early frames

Campagnolo Record or Super Record 6 speed would be consistent with the age of the frame and can be sourced on E-Bay

Good luck with your project

Hi Fat Boy Riding, has been a long time. After your help and advice, I started my ALAN project. After a lot of money efforts, I finished the bike the last year, in fact I ran with my Alan "La pedals de clip" a kind of Eroica race but in Catalonia. Since I finished the project I have done a lot stuff (like return from Barcelona to Mexico and finished a Phd program) and couldn't share some pics of the bike. Well, here are some pictures. Thank you all guys for all the information share in this forum and specially on this post; was ver useful for me.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskgocroB
PD. The saddle is not the one finally the bike has, instead of that flite, I have a Selle San Marco Rolls Saddle
Mr T

Re: Info please, re Italian 'Alan' aluminium road-bike framesets

Post by Mr T »

Going back to the first posts, I have two ALAN cross bikes. One dated 1995 the other 1997. The later one I bought as a frame New in January 98 for my 50th birthday. I have competed in local and national cross events on it every year since, and the three peaks cyclo cross 13 times, about 9 of them on the later frame. Both have the original forks on them. The early fork has the round blades inserted into the crown, the later fork is much wider, still with round blades but they are not inserted, just flush with the crown. I have heard stories of ALAN forks failing but mine are fine. I'm just in the process of cleaning the two bikes up, building new wheels and fitting 1X11 gearing, new bars and stems and a polish.
Thought about a new modern cross bike but decided at my age I wouldn't do any better.
Vetus Ossa

Post by Vetus Ossa »

I have a 1985 Alan Super Record with round forks.
How does it ride...beautifully thank you.
I also have 30 year old Cinelli bars on it so guess it's only a matter of time before it falls to pieces :shock:
Beauty will save the world.
Steve O'C

Post by Steve O'C »

Hi Vetus
I have just purchased an Alan Super Record that sounds like yours with the round forks. Its a small frame (51cm) and I am not particularly strong so frame flex is not an issue for me. The forks however seem to flex much more that I am used to on my other bikes when braking or going over bumps. Is that your experience?
Steve
BE1

Post by BE1 »

Hi Fat Boy Riding, has been a long time. After your help and advice, I started my ALAN project. After a lot of money efforts, I finished the bike the last year, in fact I ran with my Alan "La pedals de clip" a kind of Eroica race but in Catalonia. Since I finished the project I have done a lot stuff (like return from Barcelona to Mexico and finished a Phd program) and couldn't share some pics of the bike. Well, here are some pictures. Thank you all guys for all the information share in this forum and specially on this post; was ver useful for me.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskgocroB
PD. The saddle is not the one finally the bike has, instead of that flite, I have a Selle San Marco Rolls Saddle[/quote]

DonMattas, did you ride "la Pedals" this year? There were quite a lot of Alans, more so than at other rides I have done.
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

BEAUTIFULL!
Sigottier

Post by Sigottier »

I have just purchased an alan bike and would love to ty to date it..
then rebuild with period correct components

its a 55x56 size
all silver alloy
Frame number 428352
its the competition frame with allen bolt fixing for rear stays
only has one original sticker on it, the globe "ALAN" sticker
came with an ALMO headset, dura ace calipers, but all other componets were modern junk
it has non tapered fork crwn
and top tube cable guides are attached to tube
25mm seattube diameter

anyone out there can help to identify the year??

It does not have a date stamp on the seat tube as i have seen on others in this forum

regards andy