has this ever happened on UK airlines?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Lance Dopestrong

Re: has this ever happened on UK airlines?

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

International aviation law is higher law than national law. In any country in the world, or any non sovereign international airspace, you must obey all commands of the pilot, and must not behave in a manner that could endanger any person, including oneself.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:International aviation law is higher law than national law. In any country in the world, or any non sovereign international airspace, you must obey all commands of the pilot, and must not behave in a manner that could endanger any person, including oneself.

That does not make their action legal. They still are legally obliged to either meet the contractual requirements, or inform the customer that the contract is no longer valid.

Since this was not an emergency, *if* United removed the passenger under international law by order of the pilot in command, they should have informed him of the law they were applying, and both parties rights and obligations. Because up until that point, those had been defined by a legal contract. If United removed the passenger under international law, at the very least, they were legally obligated to inform him that the contract was no longer valid and that they were going to remove him according to international law.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:
hjd10 wrote:
Vorpal wrote:Anyone who calls the police in the USA should be prepared for violence :([/quote

+1 Having lived out in the States for 2 and a half years I understand your statement.

I lived and worked there for a while, and as an armed bodyguard and driver was frequently visited and checked upon. I didn't get slapped around or shot very much.

Quite scary hearing that my children who were at school had to go into a Shelter in Place emergency, this was because a local idiot was seen close to the school running around with a gun having just got into a gun fight. Mind this was in Vegas although not in a rough area I have to say. :wink: