Please! Spare Us The Sermon and Look Where You Are Going

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
irc

Please! Spare Us The Sermon and Look Where You Are Going

Post by irc »

Inured cyclist states

He said that the incident had served as a reminder to other cyclists to wear protective equipment whilst on the road.

“I’m just glad I was wearing my helmet at the time.

“If I hadn’t had that helmet on it would have been a lot worse.

“You see so many people riding without them — it’s worrying.”

Me? I think looking where you are going and not riding into parked cars is better than wearing a plastic hat.

https://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/fp/s ... ar-dundee/
meic

Re: Please! Spare Us The Sermon and Look Where You Are Going

Post by meic »

Looking at his injuries, he really should upgrade the advice and have followed that upgraded advice in advance.

Always wear a FULL FACE helmet if you want to try and protect your face in a crash.
Yma o Hyd
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

Butbutbut don't the helmevangelists keep telling us "helmets prevent accident"s?

Didn't prevent that one, did it.

If the low sun, as mentioned in the article, was a factor in the crash, why was he going so fast when he couldn't see what was on the road ahead? Does he drive like that too?

irc wrote:Me? I think looking where you are going and not riding into parked cars is better than wearing a plastic hat.

Yep. Prevention is better than cure. Had he been looking properly and riding to the conditions he wouldn't have needed the plastic lid.
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
pwa

Post by pwa »

Guy951 wrote:Butbutbut don't the helmevangelists keep telling us "helmets prevent accident"s?

If the low sun, as mentioned in the article, was a factor in the crash, why was he going so fast when he couldn't see what was on the road ahead? Does he drive like that too?

irc wrote:Me? I think looking where you are going and not riding into parked cars is better than wearing a plastic hat.

Yep. Prevention is better than cure. Had he been looking properly and riding to the conditions he wouldn't have needed the plastic lid.

Be fair. I've never heard anyone say helmets prevent accidents. The claim is merely that they can lessen the injuries.
Guy951

Post by Guy951 »

pwa wrote:
Guy951 wrote:Butbutbut don't the helmevangelists keep telling us "helmets prevent accident"s?

Be fair. I've never heard anyone say helmets prevent accidents. The claim is merely that they can lessen the injuries.

Over the years there's been quite a few people posting those very words on the CTC Forum, usually immediately followed by a description of their latest "accident" :lol: :roll:
What manner of creature's this, being but half a fish and half a monster
pwa

Post by pwa »

I don't worry about other people and what they think or get up to on their bikes, but I manage to not have accidents while at the same time wearing a lid. Over the last twenty years, for example, my very few "offs" have been low speed falls due to ice (twice, I think) and a fall when a van nudged my rear wheel. If I had a criticism of my helmet it would be that my cycling has not resulted in my head hitting anything, so I've been wearing it for an event that has not happened, yet. It is the "yet" bit that makes me wear one.

The basic point you make that careful cycling prevents accidents is a good one, and, of course, nobody should wear a lid instead of taking care.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

If motorists didn't insist on trying to kill us then it wouldn't be necessary.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Lance Dopestrong wrote:If motorists didn't insist on trying to kill us then it wouldn't be necessary.

Helmets? I don't wear mine as protection against motorists.