TER trains France

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Ivor Tingting

TER trains France

Post by Ivor Tingting »

Is it possible to pre-book tickets for TER trains in France? I have tried but the SNCF site inevitably only wants to give journeys for the TGV which I don't want. I plan to get TER trains all the way from Calais to Grenoble and back taking my bike of course. Deutsche Bahn do a most useful journey planner so there are TER trains available and the journey can be done in a full day, but you can't book tickets on the DB site. The SNCF site however only wants to give availability for TGV trains despite clicking on their TER link which is most annoying. Anyone managed it to pre-book tickets for TER trains in France for themselves and bikes or should I just hope for the best and turn up and pay on the day? Hoping to travel sometime in mid to late June.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
chris_suffolk

Re: TER trains France

Post by chris_suffolk »

From the Seat61 site - brilliant train travel site

Train Expres Regionaux come in all shapes and sizes, but a typical modern single-deck TER diesel train is shown below. TERs are local regional trains, with affordable fixed-price open tickets and no advance-purchase discounts so you may as well just buy at the station on the day - these trains can never 'sell out'. There are no seat reservations, you just sit where you like. Some TERs are double-deck and a few consist of locomotive-hauled mainline carriages, such as the Paris-Dijon-Lyon TER trains. All TER trains have space for luggage on various racks, and many carry bikes too. Most also have toilets. TER tickets are never 'print at home' so tickets for any journey that involves a TER train have to be collected at the station or sent to you.

Not sure if it helps
robgul

Post by robgul »

Captain Train is by far the best online booking service for trains across much of Europe - it's French based. We've used it loads of times . . and where appropriate bike bookings are a doddle too.

I have found that Mr Seat 61's data is quite often out-of-date or mildly inaccurate.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
millimole

Post by millimole »

Capitaine Train has been taken over by Trainline, but retains most of the original functionality, but Loco2.com might do what you want - but if you can't do it online they may well be able to help you over the phone.
I bought tickets (for Switzerland > Germany and within Italy) from the DB website in January - be sure to use the full site, not the cut down mobile version.
Seat61 is great for inspiration, but Mark Smith runs it as a hobby, so it's not surprising that occasionally it's out of date!

You can easlily remove the Tapatalk spam using settings on YOUR phone
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

https://www.bonjourlafrance.com/train-landing/

Works for me.

The staff at most rural (ish) French stations are quite underemployed, so often delight in offering help - especially if your journey is a complicated one. Just turn up at the station without booking ? - well, why not, as long as you avoid commuting times, French national holidays, and Saint's Days, when everyone will be on the move. No space? - just wait for the next train, or cycle off to the next station along your route.

Me? - I'd cycle both there and back, of course.

Hope this helps,

C.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

Morzedec wrote:https://www.bonjourlafrance.com/train-landing/

Works for me.

The staff at most rural (ish) French stations are quite underemployed, so often delight in offering help - especially if your journey is a complicated one. Just turn up at the station without booking ? - well, why not, as long as you avoid commuting times, French national holidays, and Saint's Days, when everyone will be on the move. No space? - just wait for the next train, or cycle off to the next station along your route.

Me? - I'd cycle both there and back, of course.

Hope this helps,

C.

Nope, your link is useless just like all the other French train websites. Won't give anything but TGV services. Will try buying from the DB website or if can't just turn up on the day to catch the TER from Calais Ville via Boulogne to Paris then ride across Paris to get the next onward TER to Grenoble. I would just like to know how much there and back is going to cost that's all.
"Zat is ze reel prowoking qwestion Mr Paxman." - Peer Steinbruck, German Finance Minister 31/03/2009.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

Thanks to everyone for your helps where it was given.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

robgul wrote:Captain Train is by far the best online booking service for trains across much of Europe - it's French based. We've used it loads of times . . and where appropriate bike bookings are a doddle too.

I have found that Mr Seat 61's data is quite often out-of-date or mildly inaccurate.

Rob

Useless site, all it wants to do for the route Calais to Grenoble is give TGV services. Maybe I am being stupid by not doing something I should, but I don't think so. How can DB give me the info I need but SNCF other sites not? At least check whether the link to train services you give will actually do what I request. Sorry, but this one doesn't so it's useless.
ossie

Post by ossie »

Last edited by ossie on 19 May 2017, 5:38am, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

May one choose an Intermediate halt or "via"? In Germany it is called Zwischenstopp [ohne Aufenthalt] to determine the route

Just choose a station where the TGV does not call
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
robgul

Post by robgul »

Ivor Tingting wrote:
robgul wrote:Captain Train is by far the best online booking service for trains across much of Europe - it's French based. We've used it loads of times . . and where appropriate bike bookings are a doddle too.

Rob

Useless site, all it wants to do for the route Calais to Grenoble is give TGV services. Maybe I am being stupid by not doing something I should, but I don't think so. How can DB give me the info I need but SNCF other sites not? At least check whether the link to train services you give will actually do what I request. Sorry, but this one doesn't so it's useless.

Yep that's correct - Captain Train WILL give the non-TGV (or mix thereof) if you ask it to with the correct questions and preferences.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Morzedec

Post by Morzedec »

Ivor T, hello,

Er - sorry, but if you enter the departure and destination details into the boxes provided on the site all the available trains appear - designated as to their individual style.

Just head for the TER ones.

Works for me.

regards, Morzedec.
Ivor Tingting

Post by Ivor Tingting »

Morzedec wrote:Ivor T, hello,

Er - sorry, but if you enter the departure and destination details into the boxes provided on the site all the available trains appear - designated as to their individual style.

Just head for the TER ones.

Works for me.

regards, Morzedec.

Well it doesn't work using your link. Have you actually tried the route I am planning, departure point Calais Ville and destination Grenoble? There is a train leaving 06:34 arriving Grenoble 20:38 going via Paris Gard du Nord and Lyon. Your link only gives Calais Frethune as a departure point which I am afraid is useless for me and TGV services. The excellent journey planner on the DB site gives the information for route and times fine using TER trains it just can't give ticket information i.e. price. Surely there must be some site that can other than the crappy SNCF based sites?
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

I also find the bonjourlafrance site informative - but it sometimes has errors - for example it suggested that there was a connection at the Gare dAusterlitz between a train from Calais and a train to Hendaye. This would have been very convenient for me as it avoids having to cross Paris- unfortunately the connection didn't exist. :(
OTH the ter information is usually OK.
As I was having trouble booking a bike I went to the SNCF office in London and handed my preferred schedule to the booking clerk.
There was much head shaking and I ended up with rides across Paris and a compromise on times for outward and return journeys.
bg

Post by bg »

Hi Ivor,

I would love to know if you manage this as I am keen to try this route.
From Calais I think you can get the TER to Reims and then south avoiding Paris.