DumpGate

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
david7591

DumpGate

Post by david7591 »

What you think? Dumoulin takes a dump, peleton doesn't wait. To be fair to other favourites, there was a break away up the road, and it was at the start of the day's major climb when the race was hoting up. The favourites group appeared not to race for a minute or so, then Zakarin launched an attack. Once that attack happened all lingering thoughts of waiting disappeared. It's likely Dumoulin would have lost time on the day's climbs without the involuntary stop, however not so much as he actually did. Could be the difference between first and second place by the final day. Perhaps some responsibility lies with the Team Directors, they could have organised a general wait both in the favourites group and the breakaway.
Spinners

Re: DumpGate

Post by Spinners »

A bit naughty I thought, especially as Dumoulin eased back when Quintana crashed the other day.

A cracking day's racing.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Couldn't believe it, is it open season now then? If anyone who raced away today has any kind of problem, is it ok for everyone to race off? Amazing ride by Dumoulin to stay in touch. He must have lost quite a bit of time stopping then seemed to be on his own for much of the ride to the finish. I think he could still win it, if he recovers from today.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Dumoulin showed he his a true champion,unbowed by the disgraceful behaviour of the other favorites,especially Quintana who was shown a great deal of grace by Dumoulin when he held up the race to allow him to recover after falling on a descent in the previous stage,who BTW Dumoulin has shown he is more than a match for either in the mountiains or anywhere else FTM.
Dumoulin in an interview after waiting for Quintana was asked about why he did it,his answer was,to paraphrase him "to attack him would've been a bad show and we're(the team)are not about that"
They have no excuses,the breakaway consisted of no threats to their GC positions and should have waited
Dumoulin is a giant among the other contenders and did extremely well to limit his losses and is still in Pink,despite their very bad unsportsmanlike attacks on him,when he literally was caught with his pants down.Dump aside,going off his recovery he would have left them in the snow drifts,which were as cold as their hearts,had he been with them on that climb and final descent.
His demeanor on the podium and the way he passed Nibali on the steps afterward said it all.

My Dad used to say "money sorts the men out from the boys" it certainly did yesterday!

I sincerely hope he wins it,and if there were a man of the tour,it is he!

Landa left the door open for Nibali to go through in the final sprint,I was practically shouting at the telly for him to close it three bends befor the final one :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

SPOILER

Tonight in Italian hotel rooms some people will be thinking how can we beat him,he even has time enough to take a dump an we can't beat him" whilst in another someone will be thinking "you tried to dump on me when I was down,but ended up being dumped on yourselves" :)

Whilst in a Sky hotel room someone will be saying "Mikel just close that door I'd like word" :roll:
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I think the team Chef may be looking for new employment .....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:I think the team Chef may be looking for new employment .....

Dumoulin claims he ate too many gels and the energy was expelled not in the way he was quite hoping :shock:
Anyway cometh the hour cometh the err,well... ... it's a family show :wink:
W H Auden