Hip replacement

reohn2

Re: Hip replacement

Post by reohn2 »

Vorpal wrote:Good luck with it! I hope that, having decided to do it, you don't have to wait too long.

According to the consultant 18 weeks max,though he felt confident within 12 weeks.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

And if you have trouble getting your leg over again - there's always a TSR Moulton :twisted:
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Robzz

Post by Robzz »

Good luck with the new hip, keep as fit as you can beforehand.
I got one 8 years ago, due to arthritis which was due to a previous fracture, and it was the best thing that I did.
Now cycling as much as I did in my youth, and looking forward to doing 100 mile rides this year, now that I have given up
full time work.
Robin
softlips

Post by softlips »

Make sure the surgeon knows what you wish to do afterwards. Cycling may influence the way the surgery is performed and the choice of prosthesis.

Extreamly effective procedure in the right hands and done at the right time.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I'm bionic :D
I was admitted into Wrightington* hospital on Tuesday morning at 7am,was being operated on by 9.30 am and back on the ward by 1pm.
I'll mention at this point that my hip hop bebop deluxe,was more complex than a straight forward job as the surgeons had to remove some metalwork(four Knowles** pins in the neck of the femur that I had done in 1967 in Wigan Infirmary) and some bone grafting,so it took a bit longer.
It all went like clockwork they informed me :) ,I was home and walking on crutches by Friday afternoon.
The treatment and care at Wrightington can only be described as 5 STAR first class plus,from all concerned,absolutely incredible and I don't mind saying reduced me to tears of gratitude to our wonderful NHS!
To repeat what the consultant said to me yesterday,"the easy bit is done"(?)the hard bit now begins,rehab will take a while but hey! I'm already doing the elbow crutch shuffle,to the end of the driveway at least :wink: .
I'm on the recover road and will post updates as and when :D

*Wrightington was the pioneer hospital for hip replacement surgery under the man himself Dr Charnley,and remains the centre of excellence for joint replacement,doing 1000 replacement joints a year.What a place!!!!

**Dr Knowles was an Orthopedic surgeon at Wigan Infirmary and who pioneered the Knowles pins design,mine where one of the first jobs he did with them.
50 years ain't bad for a foolish 14 year old who fell off his bike and landed awkwardly :shock: :?
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Thanks for the update! It's good to hear & good wishes on your recovery!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Littgull

Post by Littgull »

Good luck with your recovery, R2. I always enjoy reading your posts.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I wasn't fishing for complements but being a vain old so and so I'll take what's offered :D
My update was more to document my experience with the treatment and recovery and follow up as I progress in recover in the hope it may be valuable to other cyclists who,like me,approach the not inconsiderable event with more than little trepidation from their cycling perspective.
W H Auden
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I wish you a speedy recovery and new lease of painfree life.
I am glad that things have gone well.
Good luck.

I too have valued your posts.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PDQ Mobile wrote:I wish you a speedy recovery and new lease of painfree life.
I am glad that things have gone well.
Good luck.

I too have valued your posts.

I'm basking here :wink:
I've also got some great and colourful bruising emerging too,the range of purples is quite artistically striking :D
W H Auden
horizon

Post by horizon »

reohn2 wrote:
My update was more to document my experience with the treatment and recovery and follow up as I progress in recover in the hope it may be valuable to other cyclists who,like me,approach the not inconsiderable event with more than little trepidation from their cycling perspective.

Fantastic news and well done for going through with it!
Yes, I think these reports are really valuable (on all health topics) and give immense support to others.
Good luck with the (full) recovery.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
rjb

Post by rjb »

Best wishes on your rehab. Sounds like you have recovered. Looking forward to a report of your first ride. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Glad to hear it all went well, wishing you a good recovery,

Best wishes, Colin
Nu-Fogey
FREDO

Post by FREDO »

Pleased that everything went well for you and good luck with your recovery.

I am waiting at the moment to hear when my THR will be, just wondering which op did you have, the traditional one from the side or the new one from the front of the leg while you are on your back.

I am looking forward to my op although I have the usual trepidations that people must have regarding ops and recovery, but cant wait to be pain free again while being on the bike or walking
The surgeon says the pain goes away after the op apart from the surgery pain and recovery, is that what you found ?.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

FREDO wrote:Pleased that everything went well for you and good luck with your recovery.

I am waiting at the moment to hear when my THR will be, just wondering which op did you have, the traditional one from the side or the new one from the front of the leg while you are on your back.

I am looking forward to my op although I have the usual trepidations that people must have regarding ops and recovery, but cant wait to be pain free again while being on the bike or walking
The surgeon says the pain goes away after the op apart from the surgery pain and recovery, is that what you found ?.

I was amazed how pain free the whole process has been,care and attention whilst in hospital was second too non.
The incision is on the side which is conventional,and the socket is ceramic (hope it lasts as long as ceramic rims :) ),the consultant told me I have "nice big sturdy bones",complements like that in the circumstances I can take all day long :) .
Anyway I'm at day 11 from the hop and walking the 300m around the block on elbow crutches 3 times a day with the help of couple of paracetamol,swelling is quite evident all the way from buttock to knee but I've had a bag of frozen peas on it three times a day for the last few days.stitches out on Tuesday :D
All good fun this recovery business.
Let us know when you due to go in.
W H Auden