Marks and Spencer cycling chinos

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
Sweep

Re: Marks and Spencer cycling chinos

Post by Sweep »

honesty wrote:Was in the M&S store at Clarks village in Street today, and it looks like they've done a mk2 of these, or at least done a bit of a ninja product test. They're called Modern, slim fit, with stretch and cycling turn up. Catchy. Anyway a few good points and a few bad by the looks of it.
So whats it got? Gripper waist band, same as the previous models. Subtle reflective details in the back pocket and when turning up the hem. Better clips in the leg, more like the Vulpine trousers, so button based. Button phone/change pocket.5
What it's lost: no diamond gusset, so not sure how comfortable there's would be on a long ride. No claimed waterproofing, which the previous versions weren't for me anyway.

Going to give these a go commuting to work next week and will report back.

Thanks for the heads-up honesty, look forward to your update.

Like the sound of the better clips in the leg - i assume you mean the built-in bicycle clip affair - old ones were ok but i still use a strap on the chain side after an oil incident.

Have a few pairs of the old one and was never aware of the diamond gusset feature - sounds a bit ann summers.

I find mine have a fair degree of water resustance so i would give them a plus for that.

Have never rated the refkective thing - always seemed like a bit of a gimmick - anyone who rides in the dark and relies on their pants to be seen/save their life needs their head examined.

Thanks again for the tip.

Don't suppose these show up on the m and s website?
Sweep
honesty

Post by honesty »

Not on the M&S website, and the Street store is an outlet so maybe they've been and gone...

The gusset feature was a padded piece of diamond shaped material inside that covered the seams. The new ones havirgil had another look have a smaller piece of material to do this with no padding.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

They may be bonkers (one size fits all?) and I don't entirely believe that original price (but they are Italian?) but I have ordered a pair of these as POSSIBLY a good partner for the chinos if there is a risk of rain.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sant ... prod157802

I did ride 12 miles in heavy London rain in my chinos a few weeks ago - they did of course get wet but I must say that it didn't over bother me and they did dry quickly.

It was warm though.

Some will doubtless say as well that they will just funnel all that rain down your socks.
Sweep
drossall

Post by drossall »

Looks as though they are basically leg warmers, so no waist to worry about. I hope so, because my waist is large enough to need worrying about.

I've ordered some. Worth a try at that price.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Be interested to know what you make of them drossall.

Never come across such a thing before.

Which could be kind of worrying :)

Especially as they are so heavily discounted :)
Sweep
drossall

Post by drossall »

Down to 17% of list price. I suppose if they only 17% work, that's fair enough :D
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

mine has been despatched so I may be able to cavort in front of the mirror in it/them, but won't be able to test function for a while.
Sweep
mjr

Post by mjr »

Sweep wrote:mine has been despatched so I may be able to cavort in front of the mirror in it/them, but won't be able to test function for a while.

Go stand in the shower? :lol:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Mine turned up today (after a delay of my own making).

They cover only the leg below the knee, which I knew from Sweep. Interesting. Not worth full price, but we didn't pay anything like that. That part of the leg does pick up all the spray and get soaked, although the upper leg gets wet too of course. Now I need it to rain hard when I'm riding to/from work. When it does, I'll report back...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Not managed to use mine in the rain yet eiher.

Was originally a bit nonplussed when I opened the packet but am hopeful that they may prove useful - I wear my chinos lots and lots of times before washing but always wash them straight after any seriously wet ride as of course all the serious road crud ends up hitting the bottom of them.
Sweep
ragudave

Post by ragudave »

Am selling my used M&S cycling chinos on Ebay just now - Nothing wrong with them. Just hardly used them!

cheers,

Dave

W34 L33
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383102072373?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
gaz

Post by gaz »

My last pair has finally bit the dust.

Oh well, nice while they lasted.
mjr

Post by mjr »

gaz wrote:My last pair has finally bit the dust.

Oh well, nice while they lasted.

M+S still sell rather similar chinos "with stormwear and stretch" which only lack the crotch crushing and cooking padding that had to be cut out and the reflective and popper details. About £40 full price IIRC.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.