Are you going to the flicks to see Wonder Woman

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.

Are you going to the flicks to see Wonder Woman?

Poll ended at 6 Jun 2017, 3:36pm

Yes
18%
No
64%
Maybe
18%

Total votes: 11

mercalia

Are you going to the flicks to see Wonder Woman

Post by mercalia »

or maybe I should ask - are you going to take your kids/grandkids ( so as you wont be be accussed of leering :lol: Would any woman bother to go watch it? )

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40091439

I dont know what the fuss is all about - We have had Xena havent we? Not so different ok made for TV

Emma Simmonds - Radio Times
....Wonder Woman reminds us that, at their finest and most enduring, such films inspire us to be all that we can be"

Oh please :roll: Since when was Hollywood in the inspiration game?
Tangled Metal

Re: Are you going to the flicks to see Wonder Woman

Post by Tangled Metal »

Attractive female wearing figure enhancing bodice? Life enhancing for who? Teenage boys for a Kleenex moment? Lesbian women for similar (Xena style attraction)?

BTW the white male who originally came up with the character was an academic who wanted to create an antidote to all the masculinity in comic book.heroes. It was meant to show the strength of women who would end up taking over the world through their superiority. Seriously!

However he insisted that every episode resulted in the character being chained up at least once. Why? Because he believed all women like being restrained/dominated that way. BTW he was a feminist but actually exhibited deeply chauvinistic attitudes in his own life and work.

Of course the character deserves to be this feminist icon and UN ambassador for women. Right?

Sorry but I'll wait for it to reach the small screen then watch 5 minutes before becoming bored and turning over. Of course this could be unfair and it's a good film.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yawn.

No, I won't be going to the cinema to watch it ................ or anything.
Mick F. Cornwall
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

hollywood does handle liberalism quite ham-handedly. it's the assumption that my ideals are being challenged that i don't like. well yeah, there can be female heroes, i grew up with pictures of them on my walls, with physical attraction being only a fraction of the reason they were up there. audiences are quite ready for female heroes, the reason we haven't seen so many is because of misguided character decisions.

look at rea, the new star wars hero. that's not a 'for her' version of star wars. she's great, and nobody is talking about how fit she is, we're talking about that absolutely stellar duel at the end of force awakens. you know... and this is in a galaxy where until very recently there were only 3 women. there have been a few bottom lips from men's rights activists, but that film made plenty money, and the main criticism with TFA wasn't characters, but plagiarism.

EDIT no, not into super hero films, but i don't have issues identifying with female protagonists... i like bowdie out of rogue one but i've never been an imperial pilot or a rebel informant. TLDR.... that is.... it's overcompensation for their own problem.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

I won't be going to the cinema to see it as it's not my cup of tea but I don't see the harm. The 1970's TV version was sexier IMHO as Lynda Carter was a stunner.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Spinners wrote:I won't be going to the cinema to see it as it's not my cup of tea but I don't see the harm. The 1970's TV version was sexier IMHO as Lynda Carter was a stunner.

nah she didnt have the face for that costume: might as well suggest Julie Andrews :lol: She was upstaged by a young Debra Winger in 2 episodes who did look the part in her costume.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Spinners wrote:I won't be going to the cinema to see it as it's not my cup of tea but I don't see the harm. The 1970's TV version was sexier IMHO as Lynda Carter was a stunner.

How do you know it is not for you if you have not seen it? :wink:

I had a cinema gold card for a while, went to see some films that did not interest me and was pleasantly surprised several times, for example by the female Ghostbusters and Petes Dragon and The good Dinosaur, saw that several times

I only went before the end of two films: Kungfu-Panda was one (a bizarre mixture of kids action, brutal violence and oriental wisdom). I can not remember the name of the other film I left early, I wonder why
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Is it o.k. to say you're not going because you don't go to watch films at the cinema? The fact that it's a film about a stupid super hero doesn't help. I have never seen a batman or superman film at the cinema neither. I doubt I would find it much better than a time filler and TBH there's better time fillers too.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I think I should have asked the question which politician would you prefer to see in Wonder Womans costume
a) Mrs May
b) Jeremy Corbyn

hmm there isnt a vomit smilie pls can we have one?
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Cyril Haearn wrote:

How do you know it is not for you if you have not seen it?

Because I don't like anything based on comic books - the whole Marvel / DC 'universe' leaves me cold.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

Spinners wrote:Because I don't like anything based on comic books - the whole Marvel / DC 'universe' leaves me cold.

me too, spinners'ses choice of words here isn't melodramatic, as it might appear. 'cold' is exactly the word :lol:

i've been pondering the trend of increasing women's representation in movies outside the romcom genre, it can only be a good thing obviously.... but it's just... sometimes it seems a little bit too contrived. it reminds me of that bill hicks bit "the righteous indignation dollar", and this is the feminist dollar. lots of "right on" stuff... but it doesn't actually change the landscape for women, especially as the knee-jerk reaction from more conservative critics tends to alienate men from a film that they may very well enjoy. i think the feminist movement is beyond self congratulation now, last i checked they were shouting about FGM and pay gaps.... to the people who are responsible.... fair play.

i think the problem is here, that people will mistakenly believe negativity about this film is because it has a female lead, when it might actually just be that it's rubbish, and they churn a handful of these movies out a year, and everybody is sick to death of them... and slapping a message on about hollywood's own sexism problem isn't going to change anything.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Oh my, how the intellectual women rationlise bare thighs and poke you in the eyes busts :lol:

"Why Wonder Woman is a masterpiece of subversive feminism"

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/jun/05/why-wonder-woman-is-a-masterpiece-of-subversive-feminism?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=229452&subid=7646217&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

I hope some newspaper does an audience survey of those who go to watch it ie male v female
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bring back Lynda Carter :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

No....
...but...
...I have to confess something. I did go to the cinema recently, on my own (Mrs P doesn't buy into the SF genre) to watch the new Alien movie: Alien Covenant.

It was - er - entertaining - but not a patch on the original. On the whole rather a disappointment. Other filmgoers must have thought so too: there were only about a dozen in the cinema. I was wondering whether I'd learn a bit more about the 'science' angle of these eponymous creatures - about their biology, their morphology, etc. etc. What we got was yet more variants on the 'chest-bursting' scene....

....Oh, and a few mushrooms. I suppose they want me to be very VERY scared next time I go out in search of puffballs for my supper....

OK back to WW. I'm afraid I know very little about the canon, I take it it's a sort of female Superman. Well, I do recall going to see the original Superman when it was first released (the Christopher Reeve one, I mean). Once again, quite entertaining, with some clever stunts. But the ending was weak. Maybe WW can do better?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

661-Pete wrote:No....
...but...
...I have to confess something. I did go to the cinema recently, on my own (Mrs P doesn't buy into the SF genre) to watch the new Alien movie: Alien Covenant.

It was - er - entertaining - but not a patch on the original. On the whole rather a disappointment. Other filmgoers must have thought so too: there were only about a dozen in the cinema. I was wondering whether I'd learn a bit more about the 'science' angle of these eponymous creatures - about their biology, their morphology, etc. etc. What we got was yet more variants on the 'chest-bursting' scene....

....Oh, and a few mushrooms. I suppose they want me to be very VERY scared next time I go out in search of puffballs for my supper....

OK back to WW. I'm afraid I know very little about the canon, I take it it's a sort of female Superman. Well, I do recall going to see the original Superman when it was first released (the Christopher Reeve one, I mean). Once again, quite entertaining, with some clever stunts. But the ending was weak. Maybe WW can do better?

The trouble with the ALien saga is that the latest is THE WRONG FILM

Prometheus, the most recent film, that found the builders planet where they were making the weapon to wipe us out ended with the sole survivor setting off to find them and ask them why they changed their mind about making us. Seems like Ridley Scot has no imagination left just wants more blood and gore. I wont pay good money to see it. I can only hope he goes back and does make the right film in the end but I doubt it as I think he has exhausted his ideas - even Prometheus didnt realy explain why they made us in the first placem whether it was an accident or a renegrade builder just created a sense of mystery and puzzlement. My opinion of him has gone down