Cataracts

ambodach

Cataracts

Post by ambodach »

The time is approaching when I will have to have a cataract attended to. I have not yet seen a consultant to ask questions tho' that is no guarantee of getting a sensible answer. Many in my experience have no reasonably knowledge of cycling.I am on methotrexate which may complicate matters. Since this will probably be done about mid summer I am concerned about losing valuable summer cycling time. How long after the op before I can reasonably cycle? I will not be able to drive for a while but that is a different matter. Anyone have experience of this and what was their experience?
Audax67

Re: Cataracts

Post by Audax67 »

Two weeks off for me:
2014: right eye, op 3/02, 1st ride 17/02
2015: left eye, op 23/02, 1st ride 6/03

Main things to avoid are cold wind and foreign bodies getting into eyes, so you're screwed if you get it done in winter or in summer.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Thanks Audax67. About what I would expect.
scotsmanincumbria

Post by scotsmanincumbria »

Had both eyes done 4 years ago. Only of for approx 2 weeks each time. Driving was only 1 week each time.
http://scotsmanincumbria.blogspot.com
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Thanks both. Reassuring info.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

You will get a leaflet from the hospital explaining the operation and what to expect, and what to avoid and how long for after the op.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
rickangus

Post by rickangus »

Just had mine done - 2nd eye two weeks ago - and saw Opthalmologist for follow up literally a couple of hours ago. How timely is that!

My cataracts developed very aggressively as a side effect of taking anti rejection drugs post organ transplant. Cataracts are now gone and I can SEE! In focus, in colour and no longer dazzled by bright sunshine and posh car headlights. I'm very pleased to be living in the 21st century with advanced medical science!

Hope all goes well for you.
puffin

Post by puffin »

I'm scheduled a cateract op too...don't know when , and I'm off on LEJOG 21.7. Hope the timing fits!!

Something I didn't realise.....I told the consultant I was putting off getting new glasses till after the op and she effectively said "What glasses, we try to correct your vision too" . I had no idea that not only do they fix the cateract but that they correct your vision. I had let my flying licence lapse, I wonder what the CAA will make of me coming back from -5.5 dioptres to probably none.
softlips

Post by softlips »

Two weeks off strenuous activity while the eye heals. The issue is the potential rise in introccular pressure while pushing yourself.

The cloudy lens is removed and the capsule it was in left behind (in most cases). A foldable replacement lens is then inserted into the capsule. Very effective and very quick.