Protective hat recommendations, please

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Abradable Chin

Protective hat recommendations, please

Post by Abradable Chin »

I would like a low-key hat to protect my eyes from the sun, and to keep my head cooler when cycling. Which ones don't blow off when going fast? I have a winter peaked cap and I find it requires the chin strap to be tight, else it inflates and lifts off.
WorldWideWilby

Re: Protective hat recommendations, please

Post by WorldWideWilby »

A mtn bike helmet usually has a peak from the Sun. They are all vented to keep cool.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my SM-G901F using hovercraft full of eels.
millimole

Post by millimole »

If you mean 'not a helmet' then I recommend a Visor Buff - like a Buff, but with a neoprene visor.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my KFFOWI using hovercraft full of eels.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Ha! I didn't know that was a thing :D
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Walz caps come in cotton, wool or moisture wicking. I use the moisture wicking ones during the summer to protect my eyes from the sun and from sweat. US brand but available from several UK shops.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

"Traditional' cotton cycling caps do it for me. Tight enough not to blow off but not constrictive - my head is possibly larger than average though? In the winter I have a waxed cotton 'Rapha' cap (with the branding removed :wink: ) and a WALZ wool cap - neither of which have caused any problems at speed or in Welsh gales
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep.
Cotton peaked cap for me.
Doesn't blow off even coming down Gunnislake Hill at 45mph. :D

This is the one I'm using.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/morvelo-exclusi ... 5360697468
Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 10.26.10.png
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I find cotton cycling caps become saturated when climbing and cold on descents,I use a synthetic North Face cap for cycling but care is needed on descents or in high winds.
The peaked Buff looks a good option
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

My plastic hat has a visor :P
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I'm not sure what you mean by 'low key' but the Tilley hat gets pretty good reviews.

Bit of a cowboy style hat but keeps the sun off the eyes/nose & avoids the burnt turtle neck look of many elderly people.

I've had one for a few years and it's pretty bike friendly. It has a shoelace chinstrap which is good for 30mph when cranked up tight, pretty hard to breathe mind you but that's a minor failing. Comes with a lifetime guarantee reputedly and retains its shape even after prolonged scrunched up storage in the pannier. Quite expensive and you're paying for the name but I've found it pretty decent quality and worth a punt.

I would proffer a link but unfortunately am back at sea and our internet is poor,

get off your horse & make my day Clint,

all the best, Simon
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I have a folding baseball cap from Mountain Warehouse which works well, and folds up into a pocket when not in use. Very thin material so goes under my helmat OK with little need for strap adjustment.

As with any peaked cap a bit of a headwind can get under the peak and lift it off of course.

Mine cost a fiver in theier sale last year! https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/travel/clothing/anti-mosquito-clothing/travel-anti-mosquito-cap-p11808.aspx/beige
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I use a baseball cap - although I use it more for rain protection than sun...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

Traditional flat cap for me. No chin strap and it stays on at 30+mph.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

rmurphy195 wrote:As with any peaked cap a bit of a headwind can get under the peak and lift it off of course.
Might be less of an issue with the Walz caps because they do not have a stiff peak (usually stiffened with a plastic insert) but have a soft fibrous insert which is more flexible. Not that I've had a cap of any sort fly off due to wind, and I've been using "flat" caps in winter months for almost 40 years.

Baseball caps - I find the peaks are too big, although they may be fine if you are a very upright rider.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I use a legionnaire's hat from Mountain Warehouse, with the sun flap tucked into the hat when not needed. It has a shoelace chin strap to avoid being blown off by passing traffic.

I read somewhere that railway engineers hats are better, but I've never seen one in a shop.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.