C&G Finishes - Liverpool

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
deliquium

C&G Finishes - Liverpool

Post by deliquium »

Anyone have recent experiences?

Since the early 1990s they have provided superb finishes on a succession of my Longstaff frames - bikes, trikes, tandems and tandem trikes - all very high quality :D

My 1992 Longstaff off the peg touring frame was beautifully re-enamelled by them in 2007 - I want it done again

Just wanting to know if they are still very good - personnel might have retired by now?

This is a specific post about C&G since the last time they did a brilliant job (2007) - posts suggesting alternatives aren't required, thanks :wink:
Last edited by deliquium on 10 Apr 2017, 7:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
delilah

Re: C&G Finishes - Liverpool

Post by delilah »

Gerry is still working there.
In the last couple of years I have had a Bob Jackson, Mercian and Neil Orrell frame all re-enameled by him with a great finish including the decals and I would thoroughly recommend them.
(Much cheaper than Atlantic Boulevard)
You should check it out but I think it was cheaper to send it through my LBS than to them direct.
avalonian

Post by avalonian »

I last used them in 1968,BSA gold star
hondated

Post by hondated »

avalonian wrote:I last used them in 1968,BSA gold star

That would be worth a few bob now and you could afford a fleet of bikes now if you sold it.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

delilah wrote:Gerry is still working there.
In the last couple of years I have had a Bob Jackson, Mercian and Neil Orrell frame all re-enameled by him with a great finish including the decals and I would thoroughly recommend them.
(Much cheaper than Atlantic Boulevard)
You should check it out but I think it was cheaper to send it through my LBS than to them direct.

Many thanks delilah - exactly the information which was asked for :D
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
avalonian

Post by avalonian »

That would be worth a few bob now and you could afford a fleet of bikes now if you sold it.
I got i think £300 against a new Triumph Bonneville,if only we new then what we know now.
tooley92

Post by tooley92 »

They are still as good as ever.

Just as an aside it can be cheaper to go to them via Steve Goff as he gets all his frames painted there and will probably receive a discount.
Remember folks 'A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!'
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

They have quoted £270 inc VAT to re-enamel touring frame and forks in metallic, lug line, supply and fit Longstaff transfers, package and courier back to me.
Current pedalable joys

fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Hi Paul, I reckon that's a fair price.
I had my Longstaff treated similarly at Argos Racing Cycles a while back.
The cost was over £300 but that included head tube cable guides, refitting a headset and bottom bracket.
I think you'll find that supply and fit of Longstaff transfers comes at a hefty price. :roll:

fausto.
billco

Post by billco »

I have just noticed this thread, apologies if too late. I had a quality steel frame and fork from 1962 re-sprayed by C&G in November 2013. The colour was flam green with frame name in gold lettering. At the same time C&G filled two minor dents in the top tube. The price at that time was £165 via my local bike shop. The finish was superb. The only disappointment was that the paint seemed to chip easily. I have had to find some touch-up for areas where the paint has flaked off around the QR's on the dropouts. I would have been happy to pay double this price for a more resilient paint job. Hope this helps.
Des49

Post by Des49 »

My racing frame was dropped off to C&G last week. So hopefully in a few weeks I can report back.
billco

Post by billco »

I think it was the C&G flam finish that was the problem with mine. I know nothing about paint technology, but the flam green finish on my frame has a pale grey undercoat, which remains intact. However, the top coat is translucent/varnish like, and this doesn’t seem to have bonded correctly with the undercoat, and easily flakes off. This may be a common problem with flam finishes, so I may stick with bog standard enamel in future.
Des49

Post by Des49 »

billco wrote:I think it was the C&G flam finish that was the problem with mine. I know nothing about paint technology, but the flam green finish on my frame has a pale grey undercoat, which remains intact. However, the top coat is translucent/varnish like, and this doesn’t seem to have bonded correctly with the undercoat, and easily flakes off. This may be a common problem with flam finishes, so I may stick with bog standard enamel in future.

My Roberts training frame suffers from this exact issue. It was resprayed via Roberts at ColourTech and the paint chips very easily and flakes off near fittings to reveal the white undercoat. It is a metallic.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=113187&start=15#p1113147

I would expect any paint to be removed at dropouts.

Hoping that the finish from C&G will be more durable, but may be this is all to do with modern paints just not being as tough as those 2 to 3 decades ago.

If I ever need a new frame, other than just for pure racing, I will seriously consider titanium and put paint issues away forever.
Des49

Post by Des49 »

A quick follow up:-

My 30 yr old racing frame is back from C&G. What a stunning finish, it really is so beautiful that I am scared of when I have to build up the bike again and use it! All transfers nicely done, though being really petty the replacement Columbus frame tubing sticker says Columbus SL, while the worn original was actually SPX.

Of course it will be in the course of building it up and actual usage on the road that will tell precisely how tough the finish is, but not sure when I will actually have the time to get around to this.

The finish is great and so was the service. I dropped the frame in myself and it had to be couriered back to me, Gerry phoned and discussed the arrangements, he even took the package home with him so he could take it to the courier after the weekend while he was on holiday! Good old fashioned service!
Johnfaz

Post by Johnfaz »

Bob Jackson steel march 2018
2 plain colours some adhesive pinstripes 1 transfer. £ 208
Left blasting sand in the bottom bracket and oversprayed it. Left blasting sand in the seat tube and overspayed it. Left blasting sand on the top tube and oversprayed it. Misaligned coachline pinstripes. Did not mask crown race seat and oversprayed it. I was about to reject if but just wanted to get my bike back and get home.
I cleaned out the bottom bracket with the frame on rags on my living room carpet - Andy new paint wore off the wheel hangers.
Not impressed.