What's wrong with just a mirror?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Last edited by Graham on 13 Jun 2017, 9:14am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Opps, my mistake. Returned to original.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
landsurfer

Re: What's wrong with just a mirror?

Post by landsurfer »

Marketing Department stuff ... "no need" .?.. "Lets create one".
Don't fall for this stuff ...
Even replying to this post was a result for the marketing dept .. :lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

:idea: Thinks: why not come up with a version to alert horse riders of an approaching cyclist?
:wink:
gaz

Post by gaz »

The linked article is from October 2015.

Perhaps you can find some positive user feedback, or perhaps it flopped :mrgreen: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

gaz wrote:The linked article is from October 2015.
Perhaps you can find some positive user feedback, or perhaps it flopped :mrgreen: .

I know someone who got one today - it's his birthday. :roll:
He found the link - I didn't even read it when I saw the price. Still for sale at various places.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

Huh, a child's toy! I already have a revolving radar dish mounted on top of my helmet, with its display screen mounted on my handlebar stem. When funds allow, this cutting-edge early warning system will be upgraded to a 360-degree digital camera and a virtual reality headset, then I'll feel really safe...
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

Roadster wrote:Huh, a child's toy! I already have a revolving radar dish mounted on top of my helmet, with its display screen mounted on my handlebar stem. When funds allow, this cutting-edge early warning system will be upgraded to a 360-degree digital camera and a virtual reality headset, then I'll feel really safe...

yeah i do worry that to power all this, i'd need another battery pack, and if i got another battery pack i wouldn't have room for flares and would be prone to heat seeking missiles.

semaphore, it would actually be nice to learn semaphore, just for laughs at the lights.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

It's the radar seeking missiles you would have to worry about.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Whilst I'm not tempted, I wonder how helpful such devices would be.

I glance in my mirror and in no time I have an accurate picture of nature of vehicle (e.g. Range Rover=big risk, Fiesta=more likely to give reasonable gap), I know how close the vehicle is and have an appreciation as to how fast it is moving. Can such a radar device give similar information to a similar degree of accuracy or would they just be prompting you something is there so look in your mirror?

And I wonder how reliable they are. My car has not got them but my experience of cars with those reversing hazard detection device things (the things that beep before you reverse into a post) seem a complete waste of time).

Ian
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

those reversing hazard detection device things (the things that beep before you reverse into a post) seem a complete waste of time).

+1 Mine goes mad as I back out of the garage onto an empty drive :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Grandad wrote:
those reversing hazard detection device things (the things that beep before you reverse into a post) seem a complete waste of time).

+1 Mine goes mad as I back out of the garage onto an empty drive :D

I've had them completely useless.

But I'm quite happy with mine, and really like the system on my parent's car.

I know that it goes a bit bonkers in terms of being rather conservative, but I know what range I have, it is also split into three 'zones', so I know if there is a random short post behind the car.

On my parent's car, and on the hire car I had earlier in the month, the rear facing camera shows up on the dashboard - with markings for moving straight ahead, current steering angle, full lock as well as distance indicators.

I have reversed down a lane with all four sensors on a hire car going mad, then I turned into a drive, and because they'd been going mad I wasn't aware that there was a short wooden fence embedded in the hedge... scrape....
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

every thing has to be tech these days eg smart phones and lady adjusting their make up? Not many these days take a mirror out of their handbag but use the face looking camera on their spartphone to do the job :roll:
Roadster

Post by Roadster »

Psamathe wrote:I wonder how helpful such devices would be.

I think the short answer is, not very.
On the contrary, they're more likely to be a dangerous distraction than a genuine aid to safety.
Si

Post by Si »

OK, doing what one must never do....scanning a bit of the article and jumping to a view without knowing all the facts. But the author says that it works best on quiet country lane when you have virtually no traffic and are tired.....stops you getting surprised by a car suddenly going past you. But shirely, if it's a quite country lane you'll hear the car coming from miles away and you'll have plenty of time to look behind (mirror or turn of head) to see what the car is doing?
Wayfarer

Post by Wayfarer »

Cycle mirror acts as third eye, will see before you hear, and judge what action to take. On narrow roads pull in and let vehicle pass, problem solved. Motorists can get very frustrated .