Rutland water

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Davie

Rutland water

Post by Davie »

Morning all

We are going to be doing some cycling around the Rutland Water area soon and just wondered, as beginners, especially my other half who is completely new to riding, which is the best car park to head for to set off and the plus and minus of each section for cycling

Thanks in advance

Davie
eileithyia

Re: Rutland water

Post by eileithyia »

Not sure what you mean by each section? Have only used one 'car' park but arrived by bike and used the cafe as an audax control. Just be aware that the countryside is not 'flat' and it can be quite challenging riding around the lanes for a newbie.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
squeaker

Post by squeaker »

eileithyia wrote:Not sure what you mean by each section? Have only used one 'car' park but arrived by bike and used the cafe as an audax control. Just be aware that the countryside is not 'flat' and it can be quite challenging riding around the lanes for a newbie.

I suspect Davie is referring to the track around Rutland Water. Did it years ago on a 'bent trike but wouldn't like to recommend any particular section as too long ago :oops:
"42"
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

eileithyia wrote:Not sure what you mean by each section? Have only used one 'car' park but arrived by bike and used the cafe as an audax control. Just be aware that the countryside is not 'flat' and it can be quite challenging riding around the lanes for a newbie.
I don't know Rutland Water, but from Google it looks as though there is a track near the edge of the water. I presume this is what he is referring to, rather than roads. However you're right, a newbie may find even a slight gradient significant.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I've normally started at the Whitwell carpark (loo's) and gone round keeping the water on my left.
It's been a few years since I've been around the lake but I think the steepest hills are on the south side.

Luck .......... :D
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

I've done the same - nice little ride.
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

squeaker wrote:

I suspect Davie is referring to the track around Rutland Water. Did it years ago on a 'bent trike but wouldn't like to recommend any particular section as too long ago :oops:

Well that was partly what I assumed but reading further it sounded like they might be staying in the area and doing a bit more than just the circuit of Rutland on cycle track. Hence the questioning? :D
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Davie wrote:We are going to be doing some cycling around the Rutland Water area soon and just wondered, as beginners, especially my other half who is completely new to riding, which is the best car park to head for to set off and the plus and minus of each section for cycling

From Barnsdale clockwise to Normanton is the most popular bit. Pretty much all level, lots of walkers and other cyclists, decent surface. Any of the car parks (Barnsdale, Whitwell, Sykes Lane, Normanton) will be fine for this: I'd suggest starting at Barnsdale because the wooded bit through to Whitwell is rather lovely. It's an ideal beginners' ride.

Carrying on clockwise, Normanton round to Egleton is quieter and there are one or two sharpish short climbs.

Egleton back to Barnsdale is mostly paths next to roads and easy if not very exciting.

Map from the Anglian Water website:

cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Davie

Rutland water

Post by Davie »

Thanks guys. By sections I meant from car park to car park or shop to shop etc. I live in Leicestershire so will be transporting the bikes by car and intend on cycling around the Lake not the surrounding area as suggested. Good advice tho guys thanks. I'll park at Barnsdale and cycle clockwise round to Normanton first off. See how that goes. Thanks chaps and any further advice is welcome x

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Last edited by Davie on 4 Jun 2017, 12:24am, edited 6 times in total.
goosegog

Post by goosegog »

Car parking at the car parks can be expensive. I park at Manton down the old road by the Horse and Jockey pub. I find the anti-clockwise direction the best, due to the usual SW wind. Its a bit windy crossing the dam. Most sections are good. Care should be taken through the steep section of Barnsdale car park which is shared with cars. The `island` of Hambleton is worth a tour . On some summer week-ends Hambleton and Engleton village halls serve tea and cakes. There is a café at the Whitwell sailing club.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Round the water is a circuit, so you either cycle out a bit and back, or right round. Starting and finishing points are probably more pertinent to which is easiest to get to by car (or free parking outside).

There are (sort of) 2 circuits, the basic one round the Water and the longer one that adds on the peninsula. Some of it is paved, but there is a lot of off road stuff (nothing too tough). The peninsula is probably the hardest bit and does add quite a few extra miles.

A few food stops on the way including a pub which is often heaving.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

From memory, the circuit around Rutland Water is 18 miles, or 25 if you include the Hambleton peninsula. I think some of the southern part is unsurfaced. We were down there walking a few weeks ago and there were quite a few people on bikes with muddy stripes up their backs.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

I did it a few weeks ago on a trike, parking at Sykes lane and going clockwise. Overall, I'd say it would be a good day out for a beginners' group with time to spare. There are plenty of stopping places for picnics, and a some cafe stops. I did it mid-week and there were not many people around. Mid-summer weekends are likely to be busy with pedestrians and cyclists.

As already said, it's a mixture of paved path at the water's edge, country lane, cycle path next to a road and unpaved cycle path at the water's edge. But, this latter is still OK with road tyres. Issues to note are -
1. There are some little dips which are steepish, down and up. Not long, and walkable if necessary
2. There are one or two bits where I missed the track, so get the (free)map from one of the car park information centres, or the one that Richard inserted above.
3. There are plenty of gates, which are mostly self closing with hanging weights. These were a pain on the trike, but will be much more manageable on an upright.

A nice day out. Go for it.
Davie

Post by Davie »

Geoff.D wrote:I did it a few weeks ago on a trike, parking at Sykes lane and going clockwise. Overall, I'd say it would be a good day out for a beginners' group with time to spare. There are plenty of stopping places for picnics, and a some cafe stops. I did it mid-week and there were not many people around. Mid-summer weekends are likely to be busy with pedestrians and cyclists.

As already said, it's a mixture of paved path at the water's edge, country lane, cycle path next to a road and unpaved cycle path at the water's edge. But, this latter is still OK with road tyres. Issues to note are -
1. There are some little dips which are steepish, down and up. Not long, and walkable if necessary
2. There are one or two bits where I missed the track, so get the (free)map from one of the car park information centres, or the one that Richard inserted above.
3. There are plenty of gates, which are mostly self closing with hanging weights. These were a pain on the trike, but will be much more manageable on an upright.

A nice day out. Go for it.

Thanks very much very informative. Davie

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels