Village council prejudice against cyclists

trilathon

Village council prejudice against cyclists

Post by trilathon »

about half way down , little england gets a bout of NIMBY
http://www.chaddesley-corbett.co.uk/parish%20council.htm
Searching for, and camping in, places of antiquity and wild beauty. Former ironman, 3PCX, Rough Stuff Fellowship, fell runner, regional time trial champion and 20 odd years of cyclo camping around Europe.
MikeF

Re: Village council prejudice against cyclists

Post by MikeF »

They're closing "their roads". I hope the residents of the parish don't drive on "our roads" :wink:
People in public office should not be posting this type of prejudice.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

The wording of the piece may be very poor, but they are protesting about closing roads for several hours - that it happens to be for a cycling event makes it worse for us. This event has caused a lot of reaction in local newspapers all around the route. It is a sportif type event (i.e commercial) but with some charitable side to it. The problem for people along the route is not that the road will be closed for several hours as many thousands (more than 10,000 from memory) of riders (some rapid, some slow) make there way to the next "free" energy gel. The locals will not see this as a charitable event, they will see it as a bunch of pretend racers who stayed in Birmingham over night, so businesses along the route lose passing trade and gain nothing since a sportif is hardly a big spectator event. From what I have read in my local newspaper, the whole approval for this event has been mismanaged by local councils, and I have to say I sympathise with the complainants. There's probably an earlier thread on here about it.
Si

Post by Si »

Tbf, there has been a lack of understanding on both sides. Obviously there is nimbyism there, but the ride organisers have also been very lax in communicating with the people in the areas that the route uses. AIUI at one point the police were considering withdrawing support as they hadnt recieved the information they need it. I think that both 'sides' just need to talk more and show a bit more understanding.
pwa

Post by pwa »

If the roads around here were shut down for hours on a Sunday there would be uproar, and quite understandably. It doesn't matter what it is for. Why should everybody else have to lose their ability to live their Sunday the way they like to? I'd be unhappy if it happened here. And that isn't Not In My Back Yard. It is Not In Anybody's Back Yard.
meic

Post by meic »

I wonder if the same people who protest at road closures for events also take part in closed road events.
Is there a protest website against the running of marathons for example?

For us it is Network Q which closes down our forest, at least there is plenty of warning.
Yma o Hyd
pwa

Post by pwa »

meic wrote:I wonder if the same people who protest at road closures for events also take part in closed road events.
Is there a protest website against the running of marathons for example?

For us it is Network Q which closes down our forest, at least there is plenty of warning.

I don't think most people would care whether it was a marathon or a cycling event. They would just be upset that they cannot move about for several hours on a Sunday. I think these concerns are most understandable in rural places where the road network may be sparse and alternative routes very narrow or non-existent. Bus services might cease.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

To be honest I'm fed up of closed roads. I seem to encounter one every week somewhere closed for usually road works or an accident. I'm also fed up of trying to defend cycling events requesting a closed roads.
I believe they don't help themselves with the wording on the signage. Closed from 0800-1600 which in reality probably means that a section here will be closed between 10:45 and 12:00 while they pass through.
We encountered a closed road on a KM Rally ride. Roadman standing guard at the entrance to the road took one look at us and said, "Aye on ya go there's seven of you and only one of me" :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

pwa wrote:I don't think most people would care whether it was a marathon or a cycling event. They would just be upset that they cannot move about for several hours on a Sunday. I think these concerns are most understandable

Quite so, but disliking road closures does not justify calling participants in the event "louts" as this parish council website does.
pwa

Post by pwa »

jgurney wrote:
pwa wrote:I don't think most people would care whether it was a marathon or a cycling event. They would just be upset that they cannot move about for several hours on a Sunday. I think these concerns are most understandable

Quite so, but disliking road closures does not justify calling participants in the event "louts" as this parish council website does.

True. Village councils (if our is anything to go by) are frequented by forthright people with, sometimes, eccentric viewpoints. And they don't always accurately represent the views of their communities.
hamster

Post by hamster »

pwa wrote: Bus services might cease.

You mean rural bus services even exist on a Sunday??? :lol:
mjr

Post by mjr »

They cannot move about!??! Are the event marshals sealing them into their houses or something? They can still walk or cycle and if they suspect they want to drive somewhere during the closure, they can park their car on a nearby open road, like I had to when small roads where I lived were closed by snow. At least this closure is more predictable from further ahead than one caused by weather or landslips.

hamster wrote:

Even some of us in rural Norfolk have bus services on a Sunday now. One in each direction I think, so only useful for people arriving or leaving (and probably not particularly convenient for that) or who like a long walk out or home. I assume they get some money from the council for that because it doesn't make much sense otherwise!

Anyway, they've put their email address on the page if you'd like to explain that they should be joining in the fun and seeing what they can get out of the event, maybe attracting riders to return and visit the area, spending time and money, instead of insulting participants.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

hamster wrote:

One each way, every two hours, in my village. They stop at about 6pm.
mjr

Post by mjr »

And I've just compared the map with a proper one and the road closure isn't even in their flaming village but the A road to the east of them and some connections. It looks at first glance like villagers only have to drive a whole ten minutes to the A491 overpass if they want to head east or northeast, or fifteen to one at Droitwich for southeast. No particular obstacle nearby if they want to head west. A few houses on the A road outside the village may want to park their cars outside the restriction, but the trade-off is probably not having the usual constant motor traffic all day. I'd accept that - maybe even welcome an opportunity to enjoy my front garden without engine noise for a day.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

mjr wrote:And I've just compared the map with a proper one and the road closure isn't even in their flaming village but the A road to the east of them and some connections. It looks at first glance like villagers only have to drive a whole ten minutes to the A491 overpass if they want to head east or northeast, or fifteen to one at Droitwich for southeast. No particular obstacle nearby if they want to head west. A few houses on the A road outside the village may want to park their cars outside the restriction, but the trade-off is probably not having the usual constant motor traffic all day. I'd accept that - maybe even welcome an opportunity to enjoy my front garden without engine noise for a day.

What if the residents of those houses on the main road are elderly or infirm and cannot walk to an alternative parking place?