Stainless Steel water bottles

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
deliquium

Stainless Steel water bottles

Post by deliquium »

Just done a search and could only find one post from 2009, so wondering if anyone has more up to date experiences and suggestions?

Let me start off by stating I like the 'clean' aesthetic neutral 'look' and 'feel' of stainless steel, especially if they can be logo/brand plastered advertisingless :twisted:

Not at all concerned about them being heavier. And whislt it is sometimes convenient to sup whilst pedaling, it's not the be all and end all with regards the kinda cycling I do these days.

Anyone use them and are positive about them? Before I buy and try?
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
reohn2

Re: Stainless Steel water bottles

Post by reohn2 »

I'm thinking rattles :? ,and knowing how descerningly particular you are,in the best possible taste of course.If you're like me and occasionally drop one (a bottle that is)such apparatus could quite easily ding or dent :shock:
Are you prepared for the outcome :(
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

I like metal bottles but I haven't been using them recently because I've been meaning to get around to putting some holes and food-safe straws through corks, which I finally did last weekend. I've been using those BPA-free-plastic-lined alloy bottles you can get cheaply in high street stores that sell some walking/outdoorsy gear.

It won't rattle as long as you pick your cages carefully - either plastic, or metal ones with plastic inserts/buttons that you're willing to bend slightly if needed to give a snug fit. It's probably best to use the same bottle, as bending the cage too often or too much will probably snap it eventually.

The main drawback is that inserting/removing them from cages scuffs them - even plastic cages do this - and I've never been able to stop that. Most colour ones seem to be some sort of plastic coating, so buy silver ones and even then, reconcile yourself to a distressed/weathered look! If you really can't stand it, the only way I can think of is to keep it in an army kettle bag hanging from your handlebars, instead of a cage.

Of course, they can get dented and really badly scuffed if you drop them, but so can plastic.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

reohn2 wrote:and knowing how descerningly particular you are,in the best possible taste of course

Totally resigned and can't help myself with the 'particularity' - well spotted :wink:

reohn2 wrote:If you're like me and occasionally drop one (a bottle that is)

Honest John, I've never knowingly (or will admit to) dropping a bottle yet, in all my years awheel.

Is that the same kinda catastrophic IF - "could quite easily ding or dent" - to that plastic helmet/head thing?

For sure life's seriously more dangerous under a Tory government :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: And I think we agree :D

But I venture off topic :(
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

deliquium wrote:
reohn2 wrote:and knowing how descerningly particular you are,in the best possible taste of course

Totally resigned and can't help myself with the 'particularity' - well spotted :wink: [/quote ]
I had my suspicions :)
reohn2 wrote:If you're like me and occasionally drop one (a bottle that is)

Honest John, I've never knowingly (or will admit to) dropping a bottle yet, in all my years awheel.

You haven't lived until half way up a 12mile Italian climb in 35degree heat dropped your one remaining full(plastic)bottle only to watch it roll under the rear wheel where the top was popped off and it's contents almost sizzle on the hot tarmac,the plaintive cry of "noooooo" echoing of the surrounding mountainsides :shock: :(
In which case thinking about it perhaps a S/S water bottle may (carefully spelt without an accompanying capital(ist) )could've helped stop my tongue sticking to my mouth until I pleaded with a passing motorist (can there be any worse humiliation for a cyclist? ) for liquid refreshment.

Is that the same kinda catastrophic IF - "could quite easily ding or dent" - to that plastic helmet/head thing?

Possibly :shock:

For sure life's seriously more dangerous under a Tory government :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: And I think we agree :D

But I venture off topic :(

I quite agree :wink:
W H Auden
scottg

Post by scottg »

Kleen Kanteen 18oz, polished, using Blackburn carbon cages.
Fits nicely together, no rattles. The brushed (not polished),
bottles are very sticky to get out of the cage.

RWHI that King Cage Iris holders work fine with the 27oz size.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Randy_Butternubs

Post by Randy_Butternubs »

I second the klean kanteens. Stupid name aside, they have a more rounded shape and wider mouth than most metal bottles which is easier to clean and looks better in my opinion. You can get ice cubes in them too. They are stainless steel with no plastic lining.

You can get them with a sports-style sippy cap which should be okay for cycling, though I haven't tried it.

The painted ones seem to get scratched and chipped quite easily so I'd get the brushed stainless.

They do have a logo but its fairly small and you could polish it off if you cared that much.

You can get a plastic bottle cage for the 800ml version which works well, but even this will polish areas of the bottle to a shine in certain areas so it won't look super crisp for long. I think the fatter insulated ones are meant to fit well in a normal bottle cage but you'd have to double check.
freiston

Post by freiston »

I like a bottle that I can see how full or empty it is and that is one big reason why I favour translucent plastic bottles over metal.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
honesty

Post by honesty »

Got a kleen kanteen 64oz bottle. It seems to keep the water cooler and there's no perceptible taste to it either.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Thanks for the feedback folks :D A plain silver Klean Kanteen has just been ordered.

Regarding marks and scratches - I don't give a fig nor a button really. My favourite 1972 Carradice Neslon saddlebag loves to show off its age and scars 8)
Current pedalable joys

reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

deliquium wrote:Thanks for the feedback folks :D A plain silver Klean Kanteen has just been ordered.

Regarding marks and scratches - I don't give a fig nor a button really. My favourite 1972 Carradice Neslon saddlebag loves to show off its age and scars 8)

That's the spirit :D
W H Auden
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

reohn2 wrote:You haven't lived until half way up a 12mile Italian climb in 35degree heat dropped your one remaining full(plastic)bottle only to watch it roll under the rear wheel where the top was popped off and it's contents almost sizzle on the hot tarmac,the plaintive cry of "noooooo" echoing of the surrounding mountainsides :shock: :(

Sadly never did get around to taking the tandem trike up any of them big climbs down in France, Italy and Spain :( You both got through that one though :D

ps hope the recent post op recovery's going well?
Current pedalable joys

LuckyLuke

Post by LuckyLuke »

Hi, another Klean Kanteen fan here. Have used for ~2yrs.
I've used Sigg, Camelbak & assorted plastic ones over the years. I'd rate the KK as my favourite, then Camelbak.
The only (negligible) drawbacks are you can't squeeze a metal bottle like a plastic one, & they don't suit all bottle cages. KK make a steel cage, & Zefal make a black plastic one that's pretty cheap. Mine have lasted years without any problems.
The KK bottle has a nice wide hole for ice cubes. The Sigg was narrower and didn't fit normal sized cubes. My Sigg developed a leak after 3-4yrs and has been retired.
The KK has a great 800ml size too, no plasticity taste, (no metallic taste either), looks good too. I use it off the bike too, am on the bus at the minute and have one with me!
(I'm not on any commission honest! Just a fan of a good product.)
Jezrant

Post by Jezrant »

bit late as you've already ordered one, but there's something a little annoying with Kleen Kanteens). I've been using one for a couple of years and like the product's durability, wide opening, and hygienic properties, but if you intend on using one of the "sport" caps with the rubbery spout thingy, whenever you take a sip, you invariably get half a mouthful of water and half a mouthful of air. Otherwise, a great product.
deliquium

Post by deliquium »

Jezrant wrote:bit late as you've already ordered one, but there's something a little annoying with Kleen Kanteens). I've been using one for a couple of years and like the product's durability, wide opening, and hygienic properties, but if you intend on using one of the "sport" caps with the rubbery spout thingy, whenever you take a sip, you invariably get half a mouthful of water and half a mouthful of air. Otherwise, a great product.

They arrived today - thumbs up for

http://www.trekitt.co.uk/klean-kanteen/bottles--and--flasks

I am pleasantly surprised the "sport cap" works as well as it does (albeit only tested in the kitchen after opening the parcel) :D

40 mile hot ride today for drugs (pharmacy run the long way round) on the 1948 Percy Stallard 'Montlhéry', sadly without the KK - the ZEFAL cage is too small - and to be honest a bit naff for my liking anyway. However run of the mill 'Blackburn' alloy cages on other bikes seem to accommodate them well? Maybe with a wind, here and there, of cotton bar tape to prevent rattling wot I don't know yet exists?

They do cost a lot though
Current pedalable joys