Availability of Zefal parts and accessories

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
atoz

Availability of Zefal parts and accessories

Post by atoz »

It is now quite noticeable that the trade is not stocking Zefal as much as it used to, especially parts and accessories. For example, it is still possible to buy the Zefal HPX pump, but trying to get replacement washers etc is a problem. Other accessories such as the Gizmo Universal which allows you to reliably secure a bottle cage to a frame with no bosses are largely not available. It is claimed that washers for the HPX are non-standard by a well known online website, but I wasn't aware there was a standard pump washer (to give a proper fit when pushing onto Presta valves).

I long since gave up trying to buy these sort of parts from local bike shops, as they never want to stock them. One shop in particular who shall be nameless looked at me like I was something he'd wiped off his shoe. Naturally this is a shop I don't patronise anymore.

I have no desire to buy useless pumps made out of cheap plastic. You need a reliable pump in emergencies. The HPX being alloy takes a reasonable level of abuse.

Is there any reason for all this, apart from the bloodymindedness of the trade?
RickH

Re: Availability of Zefal parts and accessories

Post by RickH »

I would imagine the market for frame fitting pumps is pretty small these days. For better or worse, most people seem to use mini pumps &/or CO2.

I have a few plastic Zefal frame fit pumps knocking around but none of them have been used for a long time (maybe I should put them up for re-homing in the small ads here). In preference these days, I have a mini pump small enough to pack in a seat pack with my tools, puncture kit & spare tubes. It takes a lot of small strokes to pump a tyre up when I need to (earlier this month was the first time I needed it since October 2015) but If I have my spare tubes/puncture kit I automatically have a pump if I swap the bag between bikes.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Zefal dropped Fisher Outdoor Leisure as a distributor 18 months ago. I doubt all is happy between the two. http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/zefal- ... two/018379

I feel I've seen some Zefal products appearing heavily discounted at a couple of the larger online chains recently and I wonder if that arises from a deliberate tactic by Zefal which may have upset that distributor.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I have some zefal water bottles which do have a nice cover bung over the spout, must be twenty years old, I like them because they have a narrow waist so dropping is harder.
They were still selling on ebay but not with the rubber bung cover.

I have some zefal all plastic bottle rack holders that fit round the frame tubes, need to source another as the nut became seized and ruined it getting it off.

Have pump clips but not a lot of use for them today.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
atoz

Post by atoz »

RickH wrote:I would imagine the market for frame fitting pumps is pretty small these days. For better or worse, most people seem to use mini pumps &/or CO2.

I have a few plastic Zefal frame fit pumps knocking around but none of them have been used for a long time (maybe I should put them up for re-homing in the small ads here). In preference these days, I have a mini pump small enough to pack in a seat pack with my tools, puncture kit & spare tubes. It takes a lot of small strokes to pump a tyre up when I need to (earlier this month was the first time I needed it since October 2015) but If I have my spare tubes/puncture kit I automatically have a pump if I swap the bag between bikes.

Mini pumps are not my idea of a get out of jail pump. I want something that will actually get tyres up to pressure without too much effort. I've had one of my HPX pumps for the last 15 years and is still going strong. The smaller the pump, the less air it will push in on each stroke. A long thin barrel like the HPX is the best bet. As for C02 catrtridges- what do you do when you run out? I once had to help someone out who'd had this problem due to multiple punctures due to a badly holed outer cover, and guess what, the trusty HPX came in handy- along with a bit of tape to repair the cover.
As the HPX is made in several lengths, in practice the HPX1 would count as a mini pump, but the HPX 2 is the smallest I use. As they are alloy rather than plastic they are more durable.

I think the trouble is, for the trade, is that Zefal HPX pumps last too long. The design is just too good. The bottle cage design is pretty good too. It's the same with SILCA track pumps. They are quite solid, unlike a lot of the others. Trying to get replacement washers for these can be tricky as well. My SILCA track pump is also now 15 years old, and just needs a washer changing from time to time.

It is no wonder that when you can't source spares from your local bike shops that people use the internet. Even then you get the same attitude online sometimes. Doh..
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
There is currently nearly 9000 items under zefal on ebay worldwide.

I am after some bottle boss mounts for a frame with no bosses / extra mount, if anyone has any ideas on other makes :?:

This is only a cable tie job.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Zefal-Giz ... SwK6RZHHVi
slowster

Post by slowster »

You can buy pump spares direct from Zefal http://www.zefal.com/en/139-pumps.

Earlier this year I destroyed one of the washers on a 30 year old Zefal Plus double shot track pump when I over-pressured a tyre which refused to seat properly.

I was amazed that the pairs of washers for that pump were still available direct from Zefal, and they only cost me €2.90 plus €2.35 P&P from France.

I suspect that if distributors and retailers held stocks of items like these, for which there is not a great deal of call (itself a reflection of the quality and reliability of Zefal pumps), the price would probably have to be higher than buying it from Zefal direct.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Purchased a couple of old style zefal bottle boss attachments from a private seller abroad, sent co2 holders instead, said keep them and sent the correct parts :)
Ordered the modern zefal bottle bosses and they look good but not mounted yet sure they will be fine the old style ones were excellent.
My link up post.

Edited £3.99
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zefal-Gizmo-U ... Sw0hlZMndr
Dealt with this seller several times.