Strange noise

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
aquilo

Strange noise

Post by aquilo »

Its a bit of a tale this but it begins touring in France when bike began making lots of clanking and clicking noises from drive chain somewhere. Very loud and noticiable to other cyclists. Anyway trip to LBS and new hollow tech BB. First ride no change, back to LBS and a different BB (same type as when I bought Bike new)
Another ride and no change, go to another LBS and they say they can't hear anything. Must be imagining it.
So set of an a century ride to my mates And it just gets louder, a loud clicking sound from drivechain somewhere.
It's there pretty much all the time but intermittent, it's there when pedalling forward or back. It stops when freewheeling. It's not there if you put bike on workstand and spin pedals either way.
The bike is a Ti frame Lynskey and drive train is all 105. Tried tightening all the bolts in the drivechain and the pedals.

Any thoughts?
reohn2

Re: Strange noise

Post by reohn2 »

I'll take a shot at rear wheel bearings needing servicing and or freehub body bearings shot.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
In which gear(s) does it happen?
The ends of the derailleur inner cables sometimes move with the mech into contact with cranks, etc
Saddle wires transmit sound well, and often only when you pedal
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

could easily be a creaky saddle, seat pin, handlebars, chainring bolts, pedal spindle..... you name it, it can creak, and that goes double on a Ti frame. Many careful tests are required to eliminate everything else from your enquiries; e.g. that the noise stops when you stop pedalling does not irrefutably prove that the noise is coming from the transmission, because the loading in the rest of the bike is also changed when you stop pedalling

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Try a different wheel and different pedals, to start with
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
aquilo

Post by aquilo »

Hi
Thanks for the responses. It happens in all gears and I agree it does not have to be the drivetrain and I've looked at an tightened lots of other things like seat post etc. But the fact that is so unequivocally happening only when I pedal forward or back seems to suggest drive train. Could be rear wheel bearings, but that's all a bit beyond me so back to LBS again I think
Many thanks
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Does the noise happpen when you pedal just standing on the pedals. i.e. no contact with the seat.

Is the clicking

• Once per pedal revolution
• once per wheel revolution
aquilo

Post by aquilo »

Yes it does continue when not sat in the seat . So not looking like a seat post area issue.

Anyway I need to get some miles in for LEL so The commuting bike will have to do some more work until I can get LBS to take a look.

Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Gattonero wrote:Try a different wheel and different pedals, to start with
Good idea. Change one thing at a time, which is what I think you meant.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Since the groupset is 105, I would exclude the cassette.
Won't be the first Shimano cassette where the spider supporting the mid&large sprockets does make noise from its rivets. Not in the 105 cassette though
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...