Route once-over please!

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Route once-over please!

Post by Mick F »

Day 1 looks ok to me.

Day 2:
The Torpoint Ferry over to Plymouth is free for cyclists. :D

Going up the A386 to Yelverton is not nice, but it's the way I would go and do so fairly frequently.

The roads are busy as you leave the city and thick with traffic at times. Just be careful and keep your eyes open. There are some cycle provisions along the roads in places, but as you approach Crownhill and cross over the A38 at Manadon it's a bit hairy. Keep a move on, stand your ground, and you'll be fine.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Mick F wrote:Day 1 looks ok to me.

Day 2:
The Torpoint Ferry over to Plymouth is free for cyclists. :D

Going up the A386 to Yelverton is not nice, but it's the way I would go and do so fairly frequently.

The cycle path Plymton to Yelverton is easy nice surface (maybe a couple of hickups, not been up the route for a few years) its also traffic free :)
Go east after the ferry, even if you just use the road to get to the south north bit of route ignoring the barbican.
Route 27 cycle path, well worth considering! It did it on my tourer and it was easy and fast, it has had repairs since I last used it, so if anyone has used its recently :?:

If someone can second my recommendation for it? More pleasant than any road for sure.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

If you come over the Torpoint Ferry, you have to get out to Plympton to use Route 27. This means going through the city centre ................ or maybe going round the coast past Plymouth Hoe but you still need to cross Liara Bridge to get onto the route over the other side of the the River Plym to go under Mars Mills roundabout to join Route 27 to Yelverton.

Plymouth Hoe is one way traffic these days, but there's a contra-flow cycle lane. I've used it, and it works well.
Screen Shot 2017-06-17 at 12.17.55.png

As for Route 27 to Yelverton, I tried it ONCE, but never again, though I have used the track along the other side of the Plym into the city a few times.

Much much easier and quicker on the main road.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I know the cycle path route was a bit sort of MTB in a small number of places, I realise to the pure roadie type its a no no, but it was easy on my tourer with 35 mm tyres and a darn sight more pleasant I.M.O.
There is one or two bits which needed a scramble but this is nothing to a hardened Cycle Tourist :mrgreen:

We need an update as they were doing repairs a few years ago, though the off road (very short 30 yrds) bits may be still there.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
benb

Post by benb »

Thanks to all of your great tips. I'll start working on some tweaks. Ben
benb

Post by benb »

bogmyrtle wrote:Day 7 at 57.2 miles, "continue on to the A74(M)."
Maybe not!

Well spotted! Thanks

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I like the way you are going to the lizard...............Dartmoor is not that bad, views are worth the effort, summertime its just showers, don't be put off.
And after two days its all plain sailing with little climbing :)

Ok, I'll go that way whatever the weather, thanks

Paulatic wrote:Day 7: why go round by Longtown? Just head straight to Gretna, loads of advice on here.
Day 7 : why go via Moffat and then out by the Greenhillstairs? Unless you really enjoy climbing hills even if you go to Moffat to get food I'd come back out and pick up route 74 again from Beattock
Day 6 : if you are fed up of roads when you get to Dalston 145k there is a cycleway right into centre of Carlisle. Runs beside river Caldew and it's tarred and quite a pleasant ride with very few people on it when I've used it.

thanks, I have made all those changes

mnichols wrote:On your final day I would either go via The Crask Inn /Altnaharra or up the A9

I've done both and although you hear a lot of people advising against the A9 once you get past the busy bit it's a stunning run in

This year I'll make the decision on the day based on the weather. If it's bad on stay on the A9

After checking my route it already goes past The Crask Inn and Altnaharra, but if the weather's bad I'll bear this in mind, thanks

honesty wrote:Day 2, after Exeter I would stick to the Cullumpton road til Westcott then head across through Kentisbeare and on to Culmstock. Apart from having a decent coffee shop at Culmstock the climb you've picked up onto the Blackdowns is a killer.

I appreciate the recommendation but from what I can see on Google maps. the hill's gradient at 13% seems like a worthwhile sacrifice for what seems to be a much more pleasant lane to ride along than the B road alternative.

RobC wrote:Day 4 I'd go via Wentnor Pulverbatch Longden and HookaGate into Shrewsbury - quieter road than the A488, though it may be a little hillier. Quickest route would be A49 up through shropshire of course, but would be rather grim...

Changed, thanks very much

mnichols wrote:Day 3 when you get over the Bridge either go via Tintern or Tutshill/ St Braviels both stunning - I do a route where I go out on one and back on the other

Route already goes through Tintern, so I'll just stick with that - thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions on my 3rd day. I know Glastonbury and Wells already so am happy to miss them out. I think I would prefer to try Cheddar Gorge, which, taking me West as it does, would seem to rule out the Bath to Bristol bike path and the Shute Shelve tunnel. Even going over to Chew Magna drags me back East - is there a worthwhile more direct route from Cheddar Gorge to the Severn Bridge? Perhaps the Avon Cycleway?

Regarding Day 2 around Plymouth, I ride in London so am comfortable wioth traffic, I think I'll stick to what I have, many thanks
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Day 6 (my area) looks good. The climb from Slaidburn over Cross'o' Greet is not trivial on cold legs with luggage... but you will be hardened up by then and it is well tracked by end to enders. The route through the lakes is about the flattest although there will be traffic from Windermere to the start of Thirlmere. Personally, I'd go down the gorgeous St John's in the vale to Threlkeld then Mosedale to Hesketh Newmarket rather than along Bassethwaite although not a lot in it.
mjr

Post by mjr »

benb wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions on my 3rd day. I know Glastonbury and Wells already so am happy to miss them out. I think I would prefer to try Cheddar Gorge, which, taking me West as it does, would seem to rule out the Bath to Bristol bike path and the Shute Shelve tunnel. Even going over to Chew Magna drags me back East - is there a worthwhile more direct route from Cheddar Gorge to the Severn Bridge? Perhaps the Avon Cycleway?

Yes, Mendip Way (NCR 3) to Chew Lake, then Avon Cycleway (410) west to Felton, then 334 north to Long Ashton, through Ashton Court grounds, over the Clifton Suspension Bridge, first left into Observatory Road, continue onto the Promenade, straight over onto Ladies Mile and [EDIT] turn right and then double back left into the cafe entrance because the flipping council still haven't installed a dropped kerb because it would remove half a car parking space - or turn left and then right and immediately left at the next traffic lights [/EDIT] onto NCR 4 westbound at the end and I think it'll take you an OK way to the Severn Bridge.

There's what looks like an obvious shortcut to avoid Chew Lake by going through Blagdon and Butcombe but it's flipping steep both down and up and the roads wind enough that it only saves 2 miles.
Last edited by mjr on 19 Jun 2017, 4:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

geocycle wrote:Day 6 (my area) looks good. The climb from Slaidburn over Cross'o' Greet is not trivial on cold legs with luggage... but you will be hardened up by then and it is well tracked by end to enders. The route through the lakes is about the flattest although there will be traffic from Windermere to the start of Thirlmere. Personally, I'd go down the gorgeous St John's in the vale to Threlkeld then Mosedale to Hesketh Newmarket rather than along Bassethwaite although not a lot in it.

+1 to emphasise the climb from Slaidburn. (there is a cafe down by the river at Slaidburn by the way.)
Is there some reason you want to go to Bentham (mile 12) ? If not then turn left at 'mile 10' to Wray. (Cafe) and there is also a cafe at Hornby P.O.. ( also a cafe at your mile 26.)
I've offered an alternative from mile 28.5, turn left through Home, Hincaster, Natland to Kendal.
Out of Kendal go via Bernieside and stay clear of A591 if possible. The route still on the A591 has a cycle-path alongside till Winderemere. I have shown a bypass of Ambleside and a section of A591, but as this is halfway you might want to stop for a break.
My route options:- https://ridewithgps.com/routes/22231903
(I can offer a route from mile 28 to "Bowness on Winderemere" via Brigsteer if interested?)
You'll never know if you don't try it.
tim_f

Post by tim_f »

Day 6

At mile nine and three quarters I would cut the corner off to Wray rather than going via Beetham.

Coming out of Kendal it is better to go via Burneside and Bowston and avoid the A591 which has a lot of fast traffic. When you join it after Bowston there is a good cycle path. Wilf's cafe in the wood yard at Stavely is worth a visit.

I woud go via St John in the Vale, Threkeld, A66 cycle path , Hesket Newmarket rather than Basentwaite etc.
benb

Post by benb »

cycleruk wrote:
geocycle wrote:Day 6 (my area) looks good. The climb from Slaidburn over Cross'o' Greet is not trivial on cold legs with luggage... but you will be hardened up by then and it is well tracked by end to enders. The route through the lakes is about the flattest although there will be traffic from Windermere to the start of Thirlmere. Personally, I'd go down the gorgeous St John's in the vale to Threlkeld then Mosedale to Hesketh Newmarket rather than along Bassethwaite although not a lot in it.

+1 to emphasise the climb from Slaidburn. (there is a cafe down by the river at Slaidburn by the way.)
Is there some reason you want to go to Bentham (mile 12) ? If not then turn left at 'mile 10' to Wray. (Cafe) and there is also a cafe at Hornby P.O.. ( also a cafe at your mile 26.)
I've offered an alternative from mile 28.5, turn left through Home, Hincaster, Natland to Kendal.
Out of Kendal go via Bernieside and stay clear of A591 if possible. The route still on the A591 has a cycle-path alongside till Winderemere. I have shown a bypass of Ambleside and a section of A591, but as this is halfway you might want to stop for a break.
My route options:- https://ridewithgps.com/routes/22231903

thanks for both of these suggestion - changes noted

tim_f wrote:Day 6

At mile nine and three quarters I would cut the corner off to Wray rather than going via Beetham.

Coming out of Kendal it is better to go via Burneside and Bowston and avoid the A591 which has a lot of fast traffic. When you join it after Bowston there is a good cycle path. Wilf's cafe in the wood yard at Stavely is worth a visit.

I woud go via St John in the Vale, Threkeld, A66 cycle path , Hesket Newmarket rather than Basentwaite etc.

I've change it to these suggestions many thanks to you

mjr wrote:Yes, Mendip Way (NCR 3) to Chew Lake, then Avon Cycleway (410) west to Felton, then 334 north to Long Ashton, through Ashton Court grounds, over the Clifton Suspension Bridge, first left into Observatory Road, continue onto the Promenade, straight over onto Ladies Mile and [EDIT] turn right and then double back left into the cafe entrance because the flipping council still haven't installed a dropped kerb because it would remove half a car parking space - or turn left and then right and immediately left at the next traffic lights [/EDIT] onto NCR 4 westbound at the end and I think it'll take you an OK way to the Severn Bridge.

There's what looks like an obvious shortcut to avoid Chew Lake by going through Blagdon and Butcombe but it's flipping steep both down and up and the roads wind enough that it only saves 2 miles.

looks spot on, changed to this too, many thanks