Sick Of Roadie Groups !!!!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
NATURAL ANKLING

Sick Of Roadie Groups !!!!

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
You would think that fellow cyclist would have more respect for other cyclist on the road.
Tiegngrace to A38 cycle bridge, near Drumbridges roundabout (trago mills, heathfield estate)

Today came along road (hedged narrow one lane width), cycle route follows along it.
A group of cyclist with drop handlebar bikes come towards me, I am on far left almost touching hedge, no less than three of the ten were on wrong side two abreast, I am on my 50Ib mtb skip trainer, all three had to manoeuvre quickly so not to hit me, when I passed the last one I said "Thanks a lot" :evil:
Look like sportive types :roll:

Last time I encountered a bunch of roadies I was squeezed on to metal railings by two deep in conversation two abreast cyclist :(
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
flat tyre

Re: Sick Of Roadie Groups !!!!

Post by flat tyre »

Good rant..6/10, could do better though
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Drop handlebars and sportive types .... Good god ... Evil cyclists ...
Now about the respect thing ........ :roll:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
tatanab

Re: Sick Of MTB Groups !!!!

Post by tatanab »

You would think that fellow cyclist would have more respect for other cyclist on the road.

Last night came along road (hedged narrow one lane width), cycle route follows along it.
A group of cyclist with straight handlebar bikes come towards me, I am on far left almost touching hedge, no less than three of the ten were on wrong side two abreast with blinding headlights, I am on my hack bike, all three had to manoeuvre quickly so not to hit me, when I passed the last one I said "Thanks a lot, I'd like to be able to see."
Look like MTB types :roll:

But according to the liberals here we are all cyclists!

p.s. just poking fun at stereotypes.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

FOR SALE

Drop Handlebars (aka Devil Horns)

Genuine reason for sale (switching to more sociable flat bars)

:wink:
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Pah.............drop bars who needs em :mrgreen:
Attachments
SDC10142_aa.jpg
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

nah etiquette is lost on a lot of cyclists. as far as cyclists are concerned the law is a matter of opinion for a lot of people, so forget about manners.

i'm talking about all road users when i say that too. it is a matter of opinion, when a cyclist goes through a red, or a motorist ignores a cycle lane. don't want to start an argument in an argument.

there's not much you can do besides what you've already done, a passive aggressive snipe and ill-thought rant on a relevant forum... it's what i would have done... i would have been more passive on the aggression though, and more ill-thought on the rant. :lol:
BakfietsUK

Post by BakfietsUK »

I have seen many inconsiderate cyclists and none of them could be inserted into artificial pigeon holes like the OP seems to do. As long as we bicker about each other we're never going to see the bigger picture about where the changes really need to happen.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I say it as it was.

Unfortunately I do recognise these no accessory (no tool kit, no bell, no nothing apart from bike and lycra, sunglasses) types in groups.
I know that some have said that club riders can be like that but they are not club riders (local) its a week to a local sportive, and I see increasing numbers of road bikes, ridden by that sort of modern....................hey I have discovered a bike pack mentality.
In the past its also been older hybrid riders too.

Call me prejudice if you like, next time I will say just "Group Of Cyclist" hogging the road through confidence in numbers.
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

BakfietsUK wrote:As long as we bicker about each other we're never going to see the bigger picture about where the changes really need to happen.

you're always saying people shouldn't bicker, maybe we should bicker!

...sorry.

i think you're right on confidence in numbers natural, but i don't think it's bike specific... just human nature. you see it everywhere, that short guy that's acting up because he's out with a bunch of mates... they say that "it" rolls down hill but it's actually more of an "office fan" situation.

all those riders, they'll have seen you coming, and they're thinking of all those times they haven't had the confidence to overtake a parked car, and now you're the vulnerable road user, so i'm afraid you're going to have to stop and have a swear.

it's not aggression, it's indifference born of passive aggression. just rise above it. yin and yang and all that.
millimole

Post by millimole »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I say it as it was.

Call me prejudice if you like, next time I will say just "Group Of Cyclist" hogging the road through confidence in numbers.

And that's the thing - you say 'confidence in numbers' - I say 'mob mentality'.
The worst behaviour by cyclists I have ever seen - and made me ashamed to be associated with the world of cycling- was in a town in Italy hosting a 'cycling festival', attended by upto 45000 riders (and visitors). The town with its narrow streets (Riva del Garda) was terrorised by large groups of fast aggressive cyclists (predominantly MTBers) - they felt they could do it due to 'safety in numbers'.
I fear we - as cyclists - may be no better than the rest of the human race. Quel surprise!

You can easlily remove the Tapatalk spam using settings on YOUR phone
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
PH

Post by PH »

I wonder what the other side of the story sounds like? Is there any possibility it's a spatial awareness thing? I sometimes ride with a couple of keen club "Roadies" and have to remind them to give me a bit more space. They're that used to riding so close they assume everyone is comfortable with it.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
..... I have discovered a bike pack mentality.
In the past its also been older hybrid riders too.

With straight handlebars? :shock: .
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
BakfietsUK

Post by BakfietsUK »

Just bicker with one voice and in one direction, then we'll get stuff done. I agree that bad cycling needs to be taken to task, but prejudicing against one group or another just seems to waste our energy and create unnecessary division. While any members of the motoring lobby looking in on our conversations just laugh at us, safe in the knowledge that we'll never have the common presence of mind to really challenge them.

Direct the bickering where it needs to go. Fine, if you think your cycling experience will be better through getting "roadies" to behave toward other cyclists, then go ahead. I would suggest however, that powered vehicles pose more of a danger than roadies. Given that roadies are also vulnerable to bad driving, there would be common ground and not division.

I am afraid to say that this intent on division and demarcation by cyclists and supposedly on behalf of cyclists is what stopped my motivation to campaign for cyclists in it's tracks.

Until the next OP brings division into the argument then that's all I have to say.
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

sorry bakfiets just a bit of good natured joshing, in accordance with poe's law i really should have used an emoji. in fact i'm pretty sure this is the seventh time i've done this, sorry mate!

you're right, i feel like there is a bit of tribalism sometimes. my own way of dealing with it is being a bit cheeky but usually i add a dab of self deprication to even it out.

kudos on the bar end levers by the way OP. the MTB crowd have been turning their nose up at them for years now and i've never figured out why. "fair enough, feel free to admire my behind as i dance away" is my response to anybody who wants to poke fun at mine... and i liked hardtails. i wouldn't like to sprint on a full sus bike without levers.