Getting tyres rock hard

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Lawrie9

Getting tyres rock hard

Post by Lawrie9 »

Can't seem to get the tyres on my racing bike rock hard. They are 700 x 23c. Do I need to invest in a track pump? Also I saw in a local hardware store a front and rear LED wind up light set. The cost was only £7.50 and looks an excellent buy even if to run in conjunction with a battery set.
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

A track pump is always a must for me. Not that expensive but makes it so much easier to get that maximum pressure without the sweat and acheing arms. Relegates the little pump to emergency use on the road.

Really brought it home to me yesterday when fitting two gargantuan 26x1.9 Conti Top Contacts to my Mrs.Wildduck's bike. I probably would have died half way through pumping just one! Boy they took alot of air!
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)
jam05

Pump

Post by jam05 »

I use one of these:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Zefal-Zefal-HPX-frame-fit-high-pressure-Cycle-Pump-with-presta--schraeder-reversible-end-1181.htm

and find it an excellent hand pump that gets my tyres rock hard. No gauge though and a track pump would make a nice addition to the workshop!
noonoosdad

Post by noonoosdad »

:D I have been using a Track Pump for the past six months - I wouldn't use anything else as it gets the pressures right up to maximum.
I feel sure that the secret to preventing punctures is to keep your tyres as hard as possible to ward off any instrusive material and seems to work for me....touch wood !
In the words of Jacques Cousteau," Il est tout mon cul et Betty Grable !"
brianleach

Post by brianleach »

Re Lights. I have bought a set of lights whereby only the front one is wound up. When it is placed in the handlebar unit it operates both front and back as it is attached to the rear light by a wire. I don't know if this is the same one you saw.

However as I only bought it recently I haven't tried on the road yet although having tested it in the had it seems pretty effective.

Brian
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

i used to use a track pump but found i couldnt get enough pressure in

now i use a halfords foot pump with a valve converter, which converts from schraeder valve to a presta valve...allows you to get more pressure in with a foot pump
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
stoatsngroats

Post by stoatsngroats »

track pump for me too...a cheap Beato one is good enough....DO IT! :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If you don't want to run to a track pump, have a look at the Topeak Morph series. These are made like a track pump with a built in hose but much smaller so can be carried on a bike.

(The problem with using a car foot pump is that most only have a hose suitable for car tyre pressures. Use one in an attempt to get up to 6/7/8 bar and the hose will usually burst.)
DavidT

Track pumps

Post by DavidT »

Recommend a track pump.

I laboured for years, albeit in happy ignorance, using the frame fit pump, until I bought a track pump (cheap one from Halfords), really "just for the hell of it" as I had assumed only serious road racers used these.

What a benefit!! Get one! Frame fit for punctures out on the road only.

I would recommend one with a pressure gauge.

David
lauriematt

Post by lauriematt »

thirdcrank wrote:If you don't want to run to a track pump, have a look at the Topeak Morph series. These are made like a track pump with a built in hose but much smaller so can be carried on a bike.

(The problem with using a car foot pump is that most only have a hose suitable for car tyre pressures. Use one in an attempt to get up to 6/7/8 bar and the hose will usually burst.)

in my experience...foot pumps are good enough for me at any rate

i pump my mtb upto about 80psi for road riding
and about 100+psi for my hybrid
WHAT DOESNT KILL YOU .... CAN ONLY MAKE YOU STRONGER
Ron

Post by Ron »

So that's it, get a track pump, or if you wish, a foot pump but just make sure it will cope with cycle tyre pressures.
Nice to see such an agreeable thread. :) :) :)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Track pump. Had one for years. Brilliant for all the reasons mentioned above.

When I'm away, I can't get my tyres hard enough with a "portable" pump. No doubt I could buy a quality one, but instead I carry a CO2 inflater. Also still carry my pump if I'm away touring, but locally only carry CO2.

The cylinders get your tyre as hard as you like!
Mick F. Cornwall
noonoosdad

Post by noonoosdad »

:D Just to add....
Trackpumps needn't break the bank - mine was a Christmas pressie from my sons - bought from Wilkinsons for £9.99 and has pressure valve fitted and works really well !
In the words of Jacques Cousteau," Il est tout mon cul et Betty Grable !"
MarySkater

Post by MarySkater »

I use a car footpump at home for convenience, but when travelling with my Brompton I carry a Cyclaire. Compact, fairly easy to use, has a gauge. I use it up to 100psi, but it's rated to 120.
Mary
PW

Post by PW »

Track pump at home, HPX on the bike.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!