First time UK!

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
TheCanadianGuy

First time UK!

Post by TheCanadianGuy »

I guys. I am Canadian and in 2 weeks will come to UK to travel with my bike for a month. This will be my first time outside Canada has well.

I am finalizing the details but would like to have your advice!

Any place I should absolutely visit? (I am huge fan of historical and geological landmark) Any good cycling road worth using? Anything a stranger should know about cycling in UK? Good place to sleep (i am bringing a tent with me)

My trip is not fix but will start in London, go north to Nottingham then Newcastle upon Tyne. I will then follow the Hadrian wall cycle way probably up to Carlisle.Then will go south to Peak district, probably Birmingham, Brecons Beacons than London again for departure.

Thanks for your help!
Cyril Haearn

Re: First time UK!

Post by Cyril Haearn »

One of the great things about Britain is the regional dialects, in Nottingham and Newcastle people speak quite differently from in London

Have a look at the posts by Mistik-ka on these fora, he is a Canadian who rather likes Britain
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

If you're going that far north, it would be a pity not to cross the border and take in another country! The area around Jedburgh, Melrose, Hawick, is really nice. Hilly, but probably no more so than the Peak district, or Hadrian's wall.
pwa

Post by pwa »

If you are just nipping in to Wales, forget the Brecon Beacons and instead go for the nearby Gospel Pass. Start it at Hay on Wye, famous for its numerous book shops and cafes, and go over the pass to Capel-y-Ffin, past the ruined Llanthony Priory then on to Monmouth via Grosmont. You can get back in to England by the oldest of the two Severn Bridges near Chepstow. The Gospel Pass is possibly the highest pass in Wales and is a mini epic.
Last edited by pwa on 1 Jul 2017, 8:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldun

Post by oldun »

Hello Canadianguy.....of course i don,t know the route you will be taking ,but Cambridge is well worth a visit as are the Norfolk Broads waterways in East Anglia .
The Eurovelo network of cycleways link may be of interest to you ...see here.......http://www.eurovelo.com/en/cycling-in/united-kingdom
I think there are 4 Eurovelo routes in the U K ...EV1...EV2....EV4... and EV12 .
If you happen to be in our area ( lowestoft / Oulton Broad in East Anglia ) you are most welcome to pitch your tent in our garden and have an evening meal with us .
Have a nice ride where ever you go .

John
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

My advice would be to avoid the temptation to go to the big cities, eg Newcastle and Birmingham.

OK if you are a backpacker or on a bus tour, but not on a (short) bike tour, particularly if camping.

Enjoy.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

simonhill wrote:My advice would be to avoid the temptation to go to the big cities, eg Newcastle and Birmingham.

OK if you are a backpacker or on a bus tour, but not on a (short) bike tour, particularly if camping.

Sort of agree but Newcastle is at one end of Hadrian's Wall and Tbh isn't a bad place to ride through. I'd actually head out to Tynemouth so that you do a full c2c across the Wall. When you head south go via the old A6, the Lake District is not very bike friendly in the summer months. Camping options are limited especially at the NUT end of this segment.

The Peak District is very busy and not greatly exciting, the better stuff to see is often just outside. That said there are some excellent bits of archaeology to see, Arbor Low for example. There is plenty of camping on the more easterly side.

I'd forget East Anglia - it's too far off route if you are heading up to Northumberland. You could however do the likes of Cambridge, Grantham, Lincoln and on through York to Durham before Newcastle.

Coming down from the PD head for Coventry/Warwick, Stratford U Avon, down to Stone Henge then across back to London area.

A quick google search will get you more info on the above towns/cities. Buy an English Heritage foreign visitors card - you will easily save the expense visiting places along the Wall, castles etc and of course Stone Henge.

I hope you have a great visit
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

foxyrider wrote:
simonhill wrote:My advice would be to avoid the temptation to go to the big cities, eg Newcastle

I'd forget East Anglia - it's too far off route if you are heading up to Northumberland. You could however do the likes of Cambridge, Grantham, Lincoln and on through York to Durham before Newcastle.

t

I'd agree a route North via Grantham, Lincoln, York, Durham offers some superb countryside and superb small cities/towns.

Personally I'd avoid Newcastle and the post industrial areas surrounding it. Heading North through the Vale of York, you start running into signs of a post industrial subsidised region around Darlington (Nb. Sprawling low grade social housing estates, industrial estates, dereliction and little of landscape interest, though centres such as Durham City and the very centre of Newcastle stand out in contrast). While it's not too bad until you reach Durham City, the stretch between Durham City and Newcastle is worth avoiding.

Given that the most fascinating stretch of Hadrians Wall commences around Chollerford, running to Gilsland (I.e. all the sections you'll ever see in films/posters etc), once past Darlington I'd head towards Chollerford. The A68 provides a useful route marker, the countryside to the West of the A68 being superb in nature (Though many hard climbs), the countryside to the East of the A68 being easier on the legs! Though I'd stay off the A68!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I'd detour West on your way back and ride roughly along the English-Welsh borders (castles a-plenty, Offa's Dyke and some lovely countryside) Shrewsbury and Ludlow are worth visiting, missing out Birmingham, ending up in Hay/Monmouth before heading across to Wiltshire
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

A few years ago I was on the bike bus and got chatting to a Canadian family.
They had been cycling in the "West country" (Devon Cornwall etc) and had found the speed of the traffic on rural roads somewhat disturbing.
I think this may apply to many areas in the UK so be prepared - plus close passes and verbal abuse (it isn't personal - it's just a way of greeting cyclists)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

You surely know this but it is worth repeating: the population density and traffic in the UK is much much higher than in Canada overall, could be a shock

I was just reading about the Territories in Canada where the rounded population density is zero people per square kilometer

There are some unpopulated wilderness areas in Wales and in Scotland one could walk several days without seeing a settlement
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

All sound advice and knowledge above.

One rule that should not be overlooked is that we drive/ proceed on the left of the road.

(This is, at the present time, not a national political statement!)
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

ANTONISH wrote:A few years ago I was on the bike bus and got chatting to a Canadian family.
They had been cycling in the "West country" (Devon Cornwall etc) and had found the speed of the traffic on rural roads somewhat disturbing.
I think this may apply to many areas in the UK so be prepared - plus close passes and verbal abuse (it isn't personal - it's just a way of greeting cyclists)

Indeed - we are often greeted by our surname, Fekker - that being a very common name here in the UK :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

PDQ Mobile wrote:All sound advice and knowledge above.

One rule that should not be overlooked is that we drive/ proceed on the left of the road.

(This is, at the present time, not a national political statement!)

Could be a political statement soon :wink: Corbyn the new Trudeau?

It is really worth checking the *highway code*, one imagines some rules (priority..) are different over here. And plenty of rules are almost universally ignored (STOP signs..). Right now there is an active thread with a video of an *accident*

One of my favourite situations occurs in *North America* where apparently the vehicle that reaches a junction first has priority. When four vehicles reach a crossroads at the same moment no-one knows who has priority, what happens then?
pwa

Post by pwa »

Do try to find quiet, minor roads. They are much nicer. But don't get the idea that most drivers are the enemy. They aren't. And if you want a bit of extra insurance, wear something with a big red maple leaf on it. Canada goes down well with most people.