Coccyx Pain

david7591

Coccyx Pain

Post by david7591 »

Hello, recently I have managed to persuade my wife to come cycling with me, on short rural jaunts. To facilitate this we bought a Gtec electric bike. She leaves me for dead on hills :lol: Anyway she has been complaining of coccyx pain. My first thought turned to the saddle. But before jumping to conclusions, I thought I'd ask on here. Has anyone any knowledge of coccyx pain associated with cycling, and how to overcome it?

David
hayers

Re: Coccyx Pain

Post by hayers »

This is not from experience, but wondering if an ebike might encourage a very upright "office chair" posture, meaning all the shock from lumps and bumps in the road goes straight up into a rigid back, whereas when bent forward the muscles give, allowing the back to flex and absorb the shocks. Have read something about this somewhere but not sure where now...
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

hayers wrote:This is not from experience, but wondering if an ebike might encourage a very upright "office chair" posture, meaning all the shock from lumps and bumps in the road goes straight up into a rigid back, whereas when bent forward the muscles give, allowing the back to flex and absorb the shocks. Have read something about this somewhere but not sure where now...

That was something along my thoughts, a very upright stance bringing the end of the coccyx into contact with the saddle and potentially a very wide saddle that might not be suitable. A slightly more leaning forward position might assist?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I think you've already answered the question, a change of position and possibly a less bouncy saddle.

It's not so much the road shock but the continuous body movement that causes the issues.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
david7591

Post by david7591 »

Thanks for replies. We will try experimenting with slightly different body positions.
vamper.cc

Post by vamper.cc »

I was subject to an enforced period of being ‘off-bike’ having received definitive medical advice to remove my backside from the bike saddle for a prolonged period. All due to a nasty case of Coccydynia.

Here is an overview or potted history: https://vamper.cc/very-real-pain-in-the ... occydynia/
Claireysmurf

Post by Claireysmurf »

I fell down the stairs a few years ago and occasionally have coccyx pain. I find it comes back with a vengeance when I haven't been exercising much. Squats and lunges really help.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Had it recently (once in my life) only lasted a few days but could not sit in a chair next day, so I could not sit without pain.
Supposedly exercise can bring it on?
Strong anti-inflammatories and it cleared up soon.
Not sure what I did but sitting on floor maybe too quickly / straight after a vigorous cycle ride..............
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.