back to road tax

Vorpal

back to road tax

Post by Vorpal »

Grayling says that vehicle excise duty will fund his ambitious road building schemes...

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news ... -xzlkm6bnp
https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/tr ... ocal-roads
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pwa

Re: back to road tax

Post by pwa »

And that means that when a driver tells you he/she pays for the road you're cycling on they will be right. What an idiot.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Vorpal wrote:Grayling says that vehicle excise duty will fund his ambitious road building schemes...

So will general income tax (to pay for ambitious road building schemes); which we all pay.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The government needs to repair the roads we already have to a decent standard first,they're in a disgraceful state presently.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

I pay zero road tax on my Twizy. I doubt Chris Grayling will be building much with that.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Zero on my Fiat500 as well.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

pwa wrote:And that means that when a driver tells you he/she pays for the road you're cycling on they will be right......

I agree but people who think like that maybe not the smartest as it does not take much to realise that many cyclists are also drivers and also have cars and thus those cyclists are paying in the same way (through their car ownership)!

pwa wrote:... What an idiot.

I agree.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote:
pwa wrote:And that means that when a driver tells you he/she pays for the road you're cycling on they will be right......

I agree but people who think like that maybe not the smartest as it does not take much to realise that many cyclists are also drivers and also have cars and thus those cyclists are paying in the same way (through their car ownership)!

Ian

The problem is it's the idiots who are the most dangerous and think the roads belong only to them,if idiot Grayling gets his way idiot drivers will feel their idiotic thought process and idiotic actions justified!
And because of a total lack of any kind of police presence or effectiveness on our roads there'll be no one there to stop them :twisted:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
AMMoffat

Post by AMMoffat »

"The money will be targeted at projects to help rebalance the economy, the Department for Transport added"

Sadly it sounds like this money will be prioritised towards new roads rather than fixing the knackered roads in most of our towns and cities
mjr

Post by mjr »

AMMoffat wrote:"The money will be targeted at projects to help rebalance the economy, the Department for Transport added"

Sadly it sounds like this money will be prioritised towards new roads rather than fixing the knackered roads in most of our towns and cities

Sounds like the money will be spent on bus roads and cycle roads. I bet it won't. I bet "rebalance the economy" means "make us all poorer by encouraging more motoring".
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil »

Income from VED: £6B/year
Expenditure on roads: £9B/year

I guess that must mean they are actually going to reduce spending on roads by £3B! Great!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Let's remember the way something is spun and the way it is subsequently rolled out may be very different. Let's also remember that there's an undeclared leadership competition being fought in the Tory Party, with the candidates jockeying for position to be ready for the vacancy, which could be at any time and might be a surprise to many. So, we have people announcing that they are, for example, in favour of an end to austerity. Hinting that more will be spent on roads is assumed to be a vote-winner, even if the reality is somewhat different.

As the late Michael Winner might have said, "Calm down dear: it's only aspirations."
:lol:
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

“At the heart of our approach is a plan to make transport work for the people who use it and for the wider economy.” :? :? :? Er What??

Which people don't use transport?
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Lance Dopestrong

Post by Lance Dopestrong »

Erm, prisoners. Coma patients. Er, agoraphobics.
MIAS L5.1 instructor - advanded road and off road skills, FAST aid and casualty care, defensive tactics, SAR skills, nav, group riding, maintenance, ride and group leader qual'd.
Cytec 2 - exponent of hammer applied brute force.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Mr Evil wrote

Mr Evil » 6 Jul 2017, 5:23pm

Income from VED: £6B/year
Expenditure on roads: £9B/year

I guess that must mean they are actually going to reduce spending on roads by £3B! Great!

Total transport spending appears to £28.1 billion, aircraft may be extra?
If 3% was spent on cycling infrastructure (to a good standard), that would be £843 million per year. This would help provide facilities to raise the level of cycling and improve safety. Over a 10 year period this level of spending could deliver a net social benefit to health and improve the UK for people.
A private members bill in Parliament could detail a 3% requirement, specifically for high quality infrastructure and provide a cost analysis to gain support.