Sudoku over time ..

Separate forum to permit easy exclusion when searching for serious information !
661-Pete

Re: Sudoku over time ..

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Ich wuerde gern eine Uebersetzung deiner Unterschrift lesen, vielleicht eine englische? :wink:

Diolch yn fawr
"fy mhleser" (can one say that in Welsh?)
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Ich wuerde gern eine Uebersetzung deiner Unterschrift lesen, vielleicht eine englische? :wink:

Diolch yn fawr
"fy mhleser" (can one say that in Welsh?)

Can one, may one? Don't know, sorry, my German is much better than my Welsh. And I stopped learning French in 1975. Do know what langue d'oc is, mind. But what does your signature mean, please put me out of my misery :wink:

Llyfr gorau, cof!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:But what does your signature mean, please put me out of my misery :wink:
Would someone else do the 'put out of misery' bit, please! :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

No takers? Oh very well.

I started the ball rolling with this post. Perhaps this will help you with that one:

Or: here's another example from the same book:
Lit-elle messe, moffette
Satan ne te fête,
Et digne somme coeurs et nouez.
À longue qu'aime est-ce pailles d'Eure.
Et ne Satan bise ailleurs
Et ne fredonne messe. Moffette, ah, ouais!

Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Formidable! Je comprend

We were encouraged to give 100% when learning languages and maths, I did

Monday 13%
Tuesday 24%
Wednesday 33%
Thursday 22%
Friday 7%
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

sonofjack wrote:I have a double master degree, my minds works in a very logical way but Sudoku... I totally do not get it.

Do you mean that you can not solve sudokus, or that you can not see the point of them? What subjects are your degrees in?

I can solve them but I think the time thus spent would be better spent doing nothing
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I can solve them but I think the time thus spent would be better spent doing nothing
I can solve them by process of elimination, but it's boring in the extreme.

I'd rather be sitting here chatting to you lot ..................... or doing nowt.
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I can solve them but I think the time thus spent would be better spent doing nothing
I can solve them by process of elimination, but it's boring in the extreme.

I'd rather be sitting here chatting to you lot ..................... or doing nowt.

Some of them take multiple path deduction to resolve, which does get interesting to hold. But in some senses all logic puzzles are merely 'process of elimination'.

If anyone hasn't come across regular expressions before then this is a great challenge:

http://www.mit.edu/~puzzle/2013/coinhei ... d/grid.pdf

Also see:
https://regexcrossword.com
https://alf.nu/RegexGolf
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

When I was in my teens I discovered logic problems and really enjoyed solving them. They are another branch of logic that may be preferable to others out there in place of sudoku. Logic problems in the form I've linked to perhaps having more textual content than pure sudoku..... but the end result the same. They do hone your thinking processes. The linked puzzle is just one example, the website linked allows you to create logic problems by grid size and difficulty( more info in given clues, a bit like more starting numbers on a sodoku ).

I find them fun to do as much as you know you will always arrive at the solution sometimes the path of deduction is not easy depending on level set.

http://www.logic-puzzles.org/game.php?u2=5b514ef566007056f488a3bb2e348a6a
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The logic problems look a bit difficult to me but I want to keep my brain active for old age. Does the maxim "if it isn't hurting it isn't working" apply here? I can't get on with chess either

I read and think and talk and write qnd sing a lot in two languages but it does not hurt

And I like to sing "One song to the tune of another" when cycling. Has anyone suggestions for words and music that might go together?
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The logic problems look a bit difficult to me but I want to keep my brain active for old age.

Don't be put off by the look you'll find them to be.... well logical if you give one a go. You can set grid size and difficulty. The one I've linked to is set as smallest grid and easy grading.

http://www.logic-puzzles.org/game.php?u2=c2f753420fab7cadb36af37ecaa08e71

It's deduction and it does make you think and may well exercise the grey matter. A clue like "john was not the youngest but was younger than fred" will tell you that you although john is not the youngest he cannot be the oldest either as fred is older. By iterating over clues you eventually narrow down to the solution to the whole puzzle, of which there is only one so you should get there.
WaylonM

Post by WaylonM »

old_windbag wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:The logic problems look a bit difficult to me but I want to keep taking PhenQ and my brain active for old age.
Don't be put off by the look you'll find them to be.... well logical if you give one a go. You can set grid size and difficulty. The one I've linked to is set as smallest grid and easy grading.

http://www.logic-puzzles.org/game.php?u ... 7ecaa08e71

It's deduction and it does make you think and may well exercise the grey matter. A clue like "john was not the youngest but was younger than fred" will tell you that you although john is not the youngest he cannot be the oldest either as fred is older. By iterating over clues you eventually narrow down to the solution to the whole puzzle, of which there is only one so you should get there.
Nicely put. That's my approach to sudoku as well. I'm not that successful but I still love it.
Last edited by WaylonM on 7 Oct 2021, 1:23pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Doing my usual sudoku in the paper from Monday, filled in a few numbers then got stick and cheated, copied a few numbers from the solution, just managed to get another number, still not finished
The puzzle should not be harder, 25 numbers were provided as usual

Is my brain going?
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

I've been doing Sudoku in the down time traveling to work. Maybe 5 years, it's definitely a 'knack' like a Rubix cube. So much so I can only attempt the 'Fiendishly hard' versions on my tablet now. When I started it would take me 20 minutes to do them, now I rattle them off in 4-5 mins tops.

You start to see 'patterns'. Which is what our brains are very good at, apparently we can remember up to 5000 individual faces. Patterns are everywhere, and it's this facility that AI has been able to successfully mimic. Better than humans. And that will be their downfall!
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Is my brain going?
I shouldn't think so, everyone stumbles now and again. Don't worry!

Also the number of clues is not always an indicator of how 'hard' or 'easy' a Sudoku is. Today's in the Grauniad I found a lot harder than usual - even for a 'hard' - in fact I had to re-draw the diagram and start over. And it has 26 clues which is quite generous.

Try it! Perhaps you'll be a lot quicker than I was...