SPA CYCLES Elan

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Si

Re: SPA CYCLES Elan

Post by Si »

- thread resurrection alert -

I know that it probably isn't PC to ask such things of such bikes these days, but do we know what the spa elan models weigh?
531colin

Post by 531colin »

There are weights listed in the geo. table on this page.....http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s21p3553/SPA-CYCLES-Elan-%28105-11-Speed-Hydraulic%29
Si

Post by Si »

Cool thanks. I'm assuming that's without pedals but with he mudguards?
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Si wrote:Cool thanks. I'm assuming that's without pedals but with he mudguards?

Don't know!....somebody at the shop will know!
Si

Post by Si »

'Tis difficult. Looking for a bike that is reasonably nippy on the road, can carry a bit of luggage, but is also tough enough for some rough stuff. It has to have a more upright position than a race bike - saddle level with bars. I Quite fancy discs.

Problem is, being a genX mtber I'm afraid that despite knowing better I'm fixated with bike weight :-)

so comparing the green vitus energie to the elan, the vitus is two or three pounds lighter and costs half of what the elan does. But the elan has the better quality frame.

Decisions decions....
PH

Post by PH »

Si wrote:so comparing the green vitus energie to the elan, the vitus is two or three pounds lighter and costs half of what the elan does. But the elan has the better quality frame.
Decisions decions....

Hmmm.... where is it lighter? I'm distrustful of all quoted bike weights, they never seem to compare like with like. What little trust I do have is reserved for frame weights, the rest can be pretty much matched anyway. So what's the difference in frame weight? I can't imagine there's much to be saved on the Elan without some compromise.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

531colin wrote:been in the shop, to-day, a couple of the test bikes had 37 x 622 "Smart Sam" fitted.....by eye, about 10mm mudguard clearance all round.

I run Smart Sams (27.5x2.25) on a MTB I'm using for off road touring. They do well enough off road, but I was more impressed by their adaptability to road use. Not nearly as slow, fizzy or noisy as I expected. Put the rear one on the other way round. They are multi directional. Mine has arrows to remind you.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Si wrote:'......... - saddle level with bars. .......

Check this carefully, Si.
I think the green vitus has full carbon fork with tapered steerer, like the Elan?
On the Elan, I was very careful to get good bar height.
The small bikes have a sloping top tube and extended head tube, as in the pictures on Spa's site (also dropped top tube for standover) http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s21p3553/SPA-CYCLES-Elan-%28105-11-Speed-Hydraulic%29
The biggest (58cm) Elan has a 19cm head tube to use the full 300mm steerer that comes with the forks....an all-steel fork will be available for more bar height.
There is a limit to how many spacers you can use with a carbon steerer, and you can't extend it anyway if its cut short.
Spa's site lists fork length and head tube length for all sizes, and it looks like about 30mm of spacers, so you can compare attainable bar height with your current bikes.
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

I'm going to have to test ride one of these. I love my Spa Ti Tourer for its comfort and gear range, but hate the brakes! If the Elan can offer similar comfort it may well be the perfect bike.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Whippet wrote:I'm going to have to test ride one of these. I love my Spa Ti Tourer for its comfort and gear range, but hate the brakes! If the Elan can offer similar comfort it may well be the perfect bike.

I think you should test ride the Elan anyway, its a quicker bike than the Tourer.......but there doesn't need to be anything wrong with the brakes on the tourer!
These Tektro RX6

are much better than the RX5, or these things which we fitted early on when we knew no better

CX70 cantilevers are also good, as long as you fit an adjustable straddle and set them up as a mid-profile brake.
Whippet

Post by Whippet »

Useful thanks Colin. Eventually I gave up with the RX5's and fitted dal picture got deep drop R559's instead. Solved a number of problems, though feel and power could be better.
thegreatpan

Post by thegreatpan »

I've bought an Elan with a trekking triple as opposed to the 105 chainset that is standard. I love it!
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Thegreatpan: that’s the one with cable discs, right?

Pictures!
Heltor Chasca

SPA CYCLES Elan

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Heltor Chasca

SPA CYCLES Elan

Post by Heltor Chasca »