My New KOGA WorldTraveller Signature has arrived (Picture) :)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
hondated

Re: My New KOGA WorldTraveller Signature has arrived (Picture) :)

Post by hondated »

StephenPeel wrote:Image

My KOGA WorldTraveller has arrived, and now just 3 weeks before setting out to cycle the world for 3 years or more. Can't wait.

Rohloff 14 Speed Hub
Gates Carbon Belt
Ortlieb Panniers for KOGA
Dynamo front Hub
Atalanta Handlebars
Disc Brakes
Brooks B17
Empty Wallet :)

stephenpeel.co.uk

Looks nice Steve. Good luck on your trip and please keep us informed of your progress either on here or perhaps CGOAB.
That's it then all Twittered and YouTubed up lets get on the road Steve as I am looking forward to the journey.
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

I have had a Koga Randonneur with brookes saddle for about 5 years.fantastic solid reliable comfortable machine.Im v green with envy about your trip.Lucky person..ENJOY
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Nice Colour.

Constructive-

High bars will give you a back ache?

Bottle racks looks weak & fragile.........add more racks..........more bottles ?

Pump mount looks fragile?

Have you got safety clips for front mud guard?

Good Luck with ride.

Add external bungees to stop panniers flapping...
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Nice bike, maybe a bit too hi-tech for me, it will be interesting to see how it stands up to the rigours of the tour.

Don't worry about scratches, etc. It is a touring bike and every scar is a memory. My beloved Surly got a ding on its first proper outing and I wasn't even riding it. It was damaged on a train in Vietnam.

Your route looks interesting and I realise it is provisional. Nonetheless, be careful about ferries. Unless things have changed very recently, there is no ferry India to Sri Lanka and no ferries to/from Cuba, particularly to the USA. Generally, international ferries are becoming much rarer as air fares are often much cheaper.

I've cycled around S Asia, SE Asia, W Asia and Oz and NZ a fair bit plus Cuba, so happy to try and answer any questions if you post individual posts on this forum.

Go and enjoy.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

I missed seeing the planned route. Where is it?

Sri Lanka was mentioned above.
Very nice island. Great folk and scenery.
Plus cheap. Don't bother camping though.
Bad polution and driving but I'd BC still go back.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Matt, you have to go to his website, scroll down this page, its a bit below the bike pic and spec section: http://www.stephenpeel.co.uk/the-adventure-begins
thornie1543

Post by thornie1543 »

That bike looks terrible,on joking that's just my green eyed monster talking :D ,it looks amazing,i'd sell my granny for one of those.good luck with the trip.
StephenPeel

Post by StephenPeel »

durhambiker wrote:I have had a Koga Randonneur with brookes saddle for about 5 years.fantastic solid reliable comfortable machine.Im v green with envy about your trip.Lucky person..ENJOY

I'm hoping to get many years out of mine, I hope :)
StephenPeel

Post by StephenPeel »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Nice Colour.

Constructive-

High bars will give you a back ache?

Bottle racks looks weak & fragile.........add more racks..........more bottles ?

Pump mount looks fragile?

Have you got safety clips for front mud guard?

Good Luck with ride.

Add external bungees to stop panniers flapping...

I hadn't even given the safety clips a thought, I will look into it, I wouldn't want anything getting between the mudguard and the wheel and damaging my spokes or stopping me dead and throwing me off. Actually, can that not still happen with the pannier racks?

I have a damaged spine as a result of being pancaked by an articulated lorry, with nerve damage to the whole of my right side, and have found my more upright seating is much better for me, although I do crave leaning over that bit more sometimes.
StephenPeel

Post by StephenPeel »

simonhill wrote:Nice bike, maybe a bit too hi-tech for me, it will be interesting to see how it stands up to the rigours of the tour.

Don't worry about scratches, etc. It is a touring bike and every scar is a memory. My beloved Surly got a ding on its first proper outing and I wasn't even riding it. It was damaged on a train in Vietnam.

Your route looks interesting and I realise it is provisional. Nonetheless, be careful about ferries. Unless things have changed very recently, there is no ferry India to Sri Lanka and no ferries to/from Cuba, particularly to the USA. Generally, international ferries are becoming much rarer as air fares are often much cheaper.

I've cycled around S Asia, SE Asia, W Asia and Oz and NZ a fair bit plus Cuba, so happy to try and answer any questions if you post individual posts on this forum.

Go and enjoy.

Thank you, I will check into ferries more closely. I'm glad I can still get one from the UK to France though to give me a start. It does seem to have a lot going on on the bike, but I'm assured it is built like a tank and designed especially for heavy going on very long tours, but I too will be interested to see how it goes :)
StephenPeel

Post by StephenPeel »

thornie1543 wrote:That bike looks terrible,on joking that's just my green eyed monster talking :D ,it looks amazing,i'd sell my granny for one of those.good luck with the trip.

Thank you. I could only get a part-ex on my gran for it, but hey, every little helps :)
StephenPeel

Post by StephenPeel »

hondated wrote:
StephenPeel wrote:Image

stephenpeel.co.uk

Looks nice Steve. Good luck on your trip and please keep us informed of your progress either on here or perhaps CGOAB.
That's it then all Twittered and YouTubed up lets get on the road Steve as I am looking forward to the journey.

Thanks :) Just a couple of weeks to go, getting pretty excited about this, after thinking about it for such a long time. There were times when I thought I was kidding myself about getting this off the ground, to be able to be away for what could be years, but here I am. Pretty pleased with myself.
StephenPeel

Post by StephenPeel »

Psamathe wrote:That must be the best colour bike I've seen. I went neutral (preferring black); but having seen your bike, if I ever need a respray ... that's the colour.

Looks fantastic.

Ian

I was going to go black myself, or even silver, but I happened across a video on YouTube of a guy riding this colour KOGA, and I just had to have it. It looks a little darker in the flesh when light is dim, as when its light it seems to glow a much lighter green. I was upset I could only get a carbon belt with a blue underside, but I did get a green bell :)
StephenPeel

Post by StephenPeel »

videoman wrote:Very nice bike and certainly some trip and just had a look at your website and hope it all goes well and keep us all informed of your progress as bookmarked your site.

Good luck.

Thank you Videoman.
StephenPeel

Post by StephenPeel »

Tiberius wrote:My sort of bike....an absolute beaut'

Good luck with the trip...please report back how you and the bike are getting on.... :)

Thank you Tiberius, will do. Steve