2017 TdeF (spoilers post-highlights please)

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
mig

Re: 2017 TdeF (spoilers post-highlights please)

Post by mig »

mjr wrote:
mig wrote:don't they bother making team change colours that clash with the classification jerseys anymore? like 'once' changing to pink each year?

cannondale-drapac is similar to the points this year. or is it only yellow that matters?

The only reason yellow matters is the sponsors being unhappy with criticism. Teams are only allowed to ride in alternative colours for one race a year, so why would they want to ride the most famous race not in their usual kit, just to avoid conflicting with a minor jersey colour? A better solution would be to make the minor jerseys more distinctive, like the mountains at the Tour and Vuelta.

i was thinking that the tour would make them change whether they liked it or not. the green isn't what i'd call minor.
mjr

Post by mjr »

mig wrote:
mjr wrote:A better solution would be to make the minor jerseys more distinctive, like the mountains at the Tour and Vuelta.

i was thinking that the tour would make them change whether they liked it or not. the green isn't what i'd call minor.

The Tour doesn't have the clout at the moment. In the ProTour/WorldTour system, they agree to take the top division of teams and only invite the four or so second-division squads (this year Wanty GG, Fortuneo-Oscaro, Direct Energie and Cofidis). Organisers ASO occasionally threaten to downgrade it to Europe Tour in order to have more control, but it's not happened yet. They did withdraw from the system in 2008 so they could ban Team Astana which was collapsing into doping hell, but even then I think a fudge was found and they invited all others.

When ONCE were at the Tour, I think it was all-invitation. I'm not sure whether ASO required ONCE and others like Mercatone Uno to change from yellow, but they probably were happy with it. ONCE became Liberty Seguros which became Team Astana which didn't become the current Astana Pro Team but involved some of the same people.

Like it or not, the major jersey at the Tour is the yellow General Classification leader. All other competitions are secondary or minor.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Apparently the sponsors of the white jersey aren't happy with Sky being in white this tour, something I'm assuming they've done either for marginal gains, or to try and flog more replica jerseys.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I've just seen a post-stage interview with Froomy; does anyone know what the heck that thing was in his nose????

Post stage jury jiggery pokery at work; French bloke isn't penalised (even though he did the same thing as others that were) and keeps stage win...? astonishing....??? :shock:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Brucey wrote:I've just seen a post-stage interview with Froomy; does anyone know what the heck that thing was in his nose????

Post stage jury jiggery pokery at work; French bloke isn't penalised (even though he did the same thing as others that were) and keeps stage win...? astonishing....??? :shock: cheers

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racin ... nce-181450
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I think time penalties are added to your total time, not the stage time, so even if Bardet is penalised, I think he would still have the stage win. If the penalties affected the stage result, Aru would gain the win and the extra bonus seconds. Uran would have dropped from second on the stage if the penalty was added. Took me a while to find the news you were referring to, I'm assuming it's this-

http://www.velonews.com/2017/07/tour-de ... det_443634
mig

Post by mig »

mjr wrote:
mig wrote:
mjr wrote:A better solution would be to make the minor jerseys more distinctive, like the mountains at the Tour and Vuelta.

The Tour doesn't have the clout at the moment. In the ProTour/WorldTour system, they agree to take the top division of teams and only invite the four or so second-division squads (this year Wanty GG, Fortuneo-Oscaro, Direct Energie and Cofidis). Organisers ASO occasionally threaten to downgrade it to Europe Tour in order to have more control, but it's not happened yet. They did withdraw from the system in 2008 so they could ban Team Astana which was collapsing into doping hell, but even then I think a fudge was found and they invited all others.

When ONCE were at the Tour, I think it was all-invitation. I'm not sure whether ASO required ONCE and others like Mercatone Uno to change from yellow, but they probably were happy with it. ONCE became Liberty Seguros which became Team Astana which didn't become the current Astana Pro Team but involved some of the same people.

Like it or not, the major jersey at the Tour is the yellow General Classification leader. All other competitions are secondary or minor.

well bring back the black shorts only rule then! :lol: ..bah humbug...eh when i wer a lad etc

ps how many riders are using disc brakes? i saw gilbert going back to his car fairly early in today's stage and noticed that he was. i'd like to see how they get on in the mountains, or if riders change away from them for those stages.
RickH

Post by RickH »

mig wrote:ps how many riders are using disc brakes? i saw gilbert going back to his car fairly early in today's stage and noticed that he was. i'd like to see how they get on in the mountains, or if riders change away from them for those stages.

Marcel Kittel has also been riding with discs, but appeared to have gone back to DPs for stage 12 (although, understandably, there aren't a lot of photos of him on stage 12).
(stage 11)
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mig

Post by mig »

i think his bike is really ugly there. hey ho. signs of getting old i guess.

i suppose that it's possible that riders are sent out on certain equipment on certain stages to parade equipment for sponsorship, rather than racing, reasons.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

cycleruk wrote:
Brucey wrote:I've just seen a post-stage interview with Froomy; does anyone know what the heck that thing was in his nose????

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/racin ... nce-181450

oh yeah...
didn't exactly seem to work for him on that stage...? Even if it actually works on the bike, is he being paid to wear it during the interview, I wonder...?

cheers
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,

Post stage jury jiggery pokery at work; French bloke isn't penalised (even though he did the same thing as others that were) and keeps stage win...? astonishing....??? :shock:

cheers

We will see today.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

mig wrote:ps how many riders are using disc brakes? i saw gilbert going back to his car fairly early in today's stage and noticed that he was. i'd like to see how they get on in the mountains, or if riders change away from them for those stages.

Wouldn't they be more likely to change to disc brakes for mountain descents? Calipers on carbon rims aren't famously good for stopping. More discussion from another forum at http://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/ ... mpare.html and from a touring context at http://tomsbiketrip.com/touring-bike-fa ... -v-brakes/
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Brucey wrote:Post stage jury jiggery pokery at work; French bloke isn't penalised (even though he did the same thing as others that were) and keeps stage win...? astonishing....??? :shock:

We will see today.

Penalties rescinded due to the team cars being stuck too far back on the penultimate climb, preventing resupply before the 20km cutoff. And apparently the spectator in green that handed a bottle to Uran was a Cannondale worker, although for Cannondale France, not the team. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/uci-rev ... d-bennett/
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

cracking stage yesterday and a cracking stage today! Team Sky were absolutely solid under pressure today; shame that the local crowd booed Froomy as he was chasing back on after a puncture.

Q. Kwiatkowski's 31s wheel change/gift to Froomy was pretty swift. Would he have been significantly (i.e. yellow jersey-losingly) slower if disc brakes had been in use?

cheers
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Yep..................Sky guys have metal................I wouldn't expect anything less from Froomey.
The finish is hotting up like the Giro (IIRC) 8) Anything can happen.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.