Plymouth to Oxford on a Brompton: Opinion?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Winfried

Plymouth to Oxford on a Brompton: Opinion?

Post by Winfried »

Hello

I'm thinking of riding my six-speed + double chainring Brompton from Plymouth to Oxford in about 10 days in late August or early September:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/21239586

I always use the Brompton for touring because it's so convenient. I'll mostly stop at camp sites with a few nights at hostels.

I never rode in South-West England, and I notice RwGPS says "910.2 km +8605 m": Would you say that trip is doable even without being an athlete? Should I cut it short by stopping at Bristol and ride a bit less each day?

Thank you.
AndyK

Re: Plymouth to Oxford on a Brompton: Opinion?

Post by AndyK »

It's hard for us to say without knowing how much riding you normally do.

I suggest starting with shorter daily distances for the first few days, building up to longer ones as you get used to the routine. The first 200km of your route are very hilly, so that's another reason to aim for shorter distances over the first few days.

That's a very... interesting route you have there. Is there a reason for doing those towns in that order?
Winfried

Post by Winfried »

Thanks for the input.

It's because I'd like to check out those sights:
http://umap.openstreetmap.fr/en/map/ply ... 789/-2.672

I've done a couple of 140-150km/day on a Brompton, but considering how hilly the area seems to be, I figured I should aim lower at 80k/day.

I've bought the tickets. Alea iacta est.
Winfried

Post by Winfried »

To sum it up: A region with great landscapes and attractions, that suffers from terrible drivers, and is lacking in traffic-free routes and cheap camp sites.