down quilts

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
PH

Re: down quilts

Post by PH »

No experience of either of those quilts, but the first one is a guy who pops up on several forums I'm an occasional visitor to. Seems to know his stuff and offers custom made. From the photos they look neatly made though I don't like the plastic clips.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Not a good comparison, one is down-filled so very fluffy and warm but more expensive; the other is filled with some synthetic stuff that is probably not great and I would expect it not to be very warm?
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Gattonero wrote:Not a good comparison, one is down-filled so very fluffy and warm but more expensive; the other is filled with some synthetic stuff that is probably not great and I would expect it not to be very warm?

wasnt expecting a comparison just comments on them singularly - the down one claims to be 4 season I think. Dont be too hard on he DD hammock one - is probably a quilt version of the ex army softie jacket and trousers I bought and they are very good within their limits.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Sorry, not meant to be harsh, but IMO those products are just too different to make a comparison.

The price is more than twice, but the down one seems a good deal. Though the down is not of the highest rating, is going to be very warm.
OTOH, the DD one looks something to less worry about, being synthetic is not supposed to absorb water. How do those "softie" things do when is damp, have you had good experience with them?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Gattonero wrote:Sorry, not meant to be harsh, but IMO those products are just too different to make a comparison.

The price is more than twice, but the down one seems a good deal. Though the down is not of the highest rating, is going to be very warm.
OTOH, the DD one looks something to less worry about, being synthetic is not supposed to absorb water. How do those "softie" things do when is damp, have you had good experience with them?

well I have had the softie jacket now for atleast a year and have ridden with the surface getting wet and kept me warm still - I dont really go out in wet weather and the few times I have would put a cape on.

so the down one would absorb water then?
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Note that the Thermarest offering says it is hydrophobic treated down. https://www.thermarest.com/ie/camp-quil ... a-hd-quilt I have an old one which makes no such claim, and a new one that does.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

tatanab wrote:Note that the Thermarest offering says it is hydrophobic treated down. https://www.thermarest.com/ie/camp-quil ... a-hd-quilt I have an old one which makes no such claim, and a new one that does.

thats expensive :?
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

mercalia wrote:...

Is not that absorbs a lot of water, but it does lose it's loft so the insulation value drops dramatically.
PH

Post by PH »

Gattonero wrote:
mercalia wrote:...

Is not that absorbs a lot of water, but it does lose it's loft so the insulation value drops dramatically.

that and it takes ages to dry and you have to be careful it doesn't solidify as it does.
But we're not talking about a little damp, the material should deal with that, we're talking about a real soaking and you have to have had something else go seriously wrong for that to happen.
I can't find the link but there's a DIY design that has a zip along the bottom so the filling can be removed. The purpose was that you could remove the down and wash the cover. It occurred to me you could also refill it depending on where you were going, both what you used and how much.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Oh man, kudos if you can do it, I won't take the risk of having the whole house full of feathers; if used in harsh conditions and not much time to care, better go with the DD synthetic one and make it simple :)
sabrutat

Post by sabrutat »

I'm toying with the idea of the softie jacket, Mercalia, to use in conjunction with either a quilt or one of those half-sleeping bags for my legs. Could you tell me how big is it when packed?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

sabrutat wrote:I'm toying with the idea of the softie jacket, Mercalia, to use in conjunction with either a quilt or one of those half-sleeping bags for my legs. Could you tell me how big is it when packed?

a cylinder - 29/30cm tall by 15cm diameter. it is important to get the stuff sack as some are sold without. just stuff it in no need to roll it up. Best buy I have ever made I think as its so light to wear. Mine is the Xlarge one and has nice long arms needed for cycling and goes all the way down to the backside is also windproof tested in Edinburgh in January when it was really blowing:lol: I only had a light jumper on underneath

after my camping at York when it was about 16C was it or was it 12C ?at night in my single skin silnylon tent with water on the inside due to raining for 2 days I think need a quilt aswell as I started to feel a bit cold with all that cold water on the inside of my tent ( the fabric had become water logged after 2 days of rain ) mainly the legs I think. Ihave one of those half bags a bit short for me - ALpkit one but does the job.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

£115 for a cottage industry low fill power down quilt? Can you squeeze out a bit more cash by Wednesday? Why?

Well PHDesigns have filled their bargain bin with among other goodies a down quilt. It's a good price for an ultra lightweight, 900 fill power quilt with good quality fabrics. However for the first time only they're doing a flash sale on Wednesday only giving.an extra 29% reduction. Works out just shy of £150. Expensive? Yes but you're getting top quality product. Normally £200+ IIRC and it sells at that.
http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/bargain-box

It's near the bottom of the page.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Tangled Metal wrote:£115 for a cottage industry low fill power down quilt? Can you squeeze out a bit more cash by Wednesday? Why?

Well PHDesigns have filled their bargain bin with among other goodies a down quilt. It's a good price for an ultra lightweight, 900 fill power quilt with good quality fabrics. However for the first time only they're doing a flash sale on Wednesday only giving.an extra 29% reduction. Works out just shy of £150. Expensive? Yes but you're getting top quality product. Normally £200+ IIRC and it sells at that.
http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/bargain-box

It's near the bottom of the page.

says 20% off? is this the normal priced thing?

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/single-ultra-down-quilt

specs not the same so a previous version?